Xiaomi M2 Update Question

Monky91

Members
Sep 26, 2012
Finally got my xiaomi M2, really love it.. Camera is awesome and screen is awesome.

However, like some of the users here, the display setting bug occur, and for some reason, some apps keep closing..

Not a big deal for me, since I am used to sucker phone (samsung wave), however, was wondering, whenever a new update is available, do I need to wipe any data?

Can I just use teh following steps?
1) Download new rom and language pack
2) Use updater to select the .zip files and update
3) Ta Da ~~ !

Thanks

Pretty much except the updater app will only flash to the non-active partition meaning the one that is not booted currently and if you flash both the rom and lang pack you might loose your sms app. I would recommended to do it this way

Download both the rom and lang pack to a folder on your sdcar.
Rename the ROM zip to update.zip and move it the root of the sdcard
Reboot to recovery by turning off phone and holding the vol+ and power button until you see the xiaomi logo
If coming from stock rom i would wipe all use data(will not touch sdcard) if coming from miuiandroid just wipe cache.
Then install update.zip to partition one.
Reboot and repeat same process for lang pack zip but you only need to wipe cache this time.

So to answer your more direct question. No you do not need to wipe data if coming from miuiandroid rom unless you have issues with apps. you must wipe cache tho.

Pretty much except the updater app will only flash to the non-active partition meaning the one that is not booted currently and if you flash both the rom and lang pack you might loose your sms app. I would recommended to do it this way

Download both the rom and lang pack to a folder on your sdcar.
Rename the ROM zip to update.zip and move it the root of the sdcard
Reboot to recovery by turning off phone and holding the vol+ and power button until you see the xiaomi logo
If coming from stock rom i would wipe all use data(will not touch sdcard) if coming from miuiandroid just wipe cache.
Then install update.zip to partition one.
Reboot and repeat same process for lang pack zip but you only need to wipe cache this time.

So to answer your more direct question. No you do not need to wipe data if coming from miuiandroid rom unless you have issues with apps. you must wipe cache tho.

Thanks grondimn, its really a nice and detail tutorial. Coming to think of it, when I first got my xiaomi M2 yesterday, I boot to system one and update, then I boot t system two and update. So I should have 2 partition updated right?

Besides, even though I install lang pack, am I suppose to get other language supported for keyboard? Or its just a lang pack to show the font?

Best regards

yes you now have 2 updated systems. as for the lang pack it also adds languages to the keyboard.

yes you now have 2 updated systems. as for the lang pack it also adds languages to the keyboard.

It don't seem to appear anywhere in my setting. Furthermore, when I change to chinese language. It said "Sorry,".com.android.phone"has stopped running" (translated from chinese)

Is there anything wrong?

It don't seem to appear anywhere in my setting. Furthermore, when I change to chinese language. It said "Sorry,".com.android.phone"has stopped running" (translated from chinese)

Is there anything wrong?
both roms should have same versions if you want to use them interchangeably.
other wise phone database version problem occures.

both roms should have same versions if you want to use them interchangeably.
other wise phone database version problem occures.
Hi hadron, so for the next update, I download the latest rom and change to update.zip. Update from recovery should do the trick updating both partition right?

Hi hadron, so for the next update, I download the latest rom and change to update.zip. Update from recovery should do the trick updating both partition right?
Recovery can update only partition one
So update partition one from recovery and then boot to system one then using updater app update partition 2
hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Recovery can update only partition one
So update partition one from recovery and then boot to system one then using updater app update partition 2
hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Hi hadron, please forgive my amateurishness, is there any way to update both partition at once?

Hi hadron, please forgive my amateurishness, is there any way to update both partition at once?
Miflash can do that. But miflsh require special format file only available from xiaomi or MIUI websites MIUIandroid zip can't be flashed with that

hadron

Sent from my Xiaomi M2

Guess i will just do the recovery method. I have to update both partition then only language pack right?