XIAOMI products stopped connecting to China mainland server

Gunterius

Members
Jul 30, 2024
Hello all,

Since 15 days ago I have several of my Chinese devices (i lived in China for some years) as "offline" in my mihome app. However they are still perfectly connected to my WiFi.

I live in Europe and all has been working fine for 5+ years. Devices affected are my S2 roborock vacuum cleaner, my WiFi sockets, my Xiaomi gateway hubs.
Strangely my newer S5 roborock vacuum cleaner is still OK.

I tried removing and adding them in the app but even after connecting to the WiFi, not OK.

My S2 also suddenly has the Chinese audio pack, even though automatic firmware updates was off.....

Anybody else has the same issues and any ideas how to fix it?

I also have a EU account and tried to add them to European server, no joy.

I have just registered just to answer you. I have been going crazy for the last 15 days wondering why my devices stopped working. I could not find any answers whatsoever and I finally found your post. I am happy that I am not the only one in this situation, but unfortunately I can confirm that since 15 days all my Control Hubs, Lamps, Sensors (Temp, Light, Movement, all of them) have stopped working.

I tried removing them from the app but I can no longer connect the hubs to the internet. I tried different WiFi networks and nothing works. I tried changing the region of the servers in use from Mainland chinese (as I bought them many years ago when they were only available in China), but nothing works, the app says that all my devices are exclusive for the Mainland chinese servers and I cannot add them anywhere else. The problem is that they do not work with Mainland china by adding them again as previously said (though they are actually connected to my router since I can see them in the router dashboard).

I could not find any answers nor solutions online a part from the traditional instructions and faqs. I remember a few years back of a similar situation when everything went offline for a couple of days (server disruption for changes due to the GDPR if I remember well), but this is beyond reasonable. Also it is a shame that there is no news about this anywhere.

Again thanks for your post since now I can think of completely renovating my system and trash all my old MI Home devices that no longer work (except for the lamps, they do work as traditional lamps of course).

Wow, I went crazy in the past two weeks, and since I was unable to find anything online, I thought that I had a local issue. Now that I found this forum it's definitely something that was done on Xiaomi's side.
Initially, my Smart Hub was randomly disconnecting, and going offline, so I decided to delete it and re-add it again. I was getting constantly Cоnnection time out (pretty mean from Xiaomi to give us misleading message). I tried using European region but got a message that this Hub works only on Chinese Mainland. What caught my attention was that the Hub was connected to the router, it was just the MiHome app that was stating Time-out and didn't add the hub.
Then I deleted the MiHome app, but still the same, and then I restarted my routers ( I have 3 in a mesh network). Then I tried connecting the hub on a different network. Then I factory reset my main router and still the same. WOW, I cant believe what a mean behavior by Xiaomi to cut us like this without any warning or notice. I'm furious, I lost maybe 20 hours troubleshooting this.

Now, we need to find a workaround to this or at least migrate to another hub.
Do you think Hub2 will be working on the European region? I have 20+ zigbee devices connected to the old hub, I hope they will be working on the new version hub. Has anyone used or using such setup?
I will be looking for a way to register the hub to EU region and try the devices, will keep you posted. Glad that I found its a global issue as I was running out of options.

I am going to have a look at possible uses within Homebridge and Home Assistant during the next days. At least I don’t want to give up on devices that actually works since they were only cut off on Xiaomi side. Hopefully I can figure something out and I will report here as soon as possible. Maybe Xiaomi will restore our devices functions instead, who knows (probably not the case after 15 days though).

Looks like I'm not alone, thanks for all your reactions, you all describe exactly the same issue I have. But not yet all devices I bought in China stopped connecting (yet......)

I have one smaller hub i bought in Europe and that worked still. So I was able to reconnect some devices to that one.

However I refuse to buy any more xiaomi devices if this does not get fixed. I will exchange all with Tuya gear instead.

I hope it gets solved automatically or that someone can give a suggestion. Or install a " local server " and get away from all that internet server BS?

There are a few options we can try.
Xiaomi has EU Hub version where we can try adding all of the devices.

What I think will be best in our case is to get Tuya Zigbee hub and flash all of the Xiaomi Zigbee devices to connect them to the Tuya hub.
I used Home Assistant for a while, but now maybe it is time to get back to it to have a fully running reliable ecosystem.

I contacted Xiaomi support, but they are useless. Talking BS that this is local issue or hardware issue even though many users are experiencing it.

There are a few options we can try.
Xiaomi has EU Hub version where we can try adding all of the devices.

What I think will be best in our case is to get Tuya Zigbee hub and flash all of the Xiaomi Zigbee devices to connect them to the Tuya hub.
I used Home Assistant for a while, but now maybe it is time to get back to it to have a fully running reliable ecosystem.

I contacted Xiaomi support, but they are useless. Talking BS that this is local issue or hardware issue even though many users are experiencing it.
Yes indeed. At least you got a reply.... Issue is it's not only zigbee devices, coz these connect easily to my EU xiaomi hub. It's also the gateway and one of my vacuum cleaners. They are wifi only and are direct (I think)

Yes indeed. At least you got a reply.... Issue is it's not only zigbee devices, coz these connect easily to my EU xiaomi hub. It's also the gateway and one of my vacuum cleaners. They are wifi only and are direct (I think)
Just thinking.... Is there a support email address or so where we all can send a complaint so it gets more attention? Threatening to discontinue xiaomi purchases?

You can contact them at: https://www.facebook.com/XiaomiSupportGlobal/ Also I have opened a ticket via the App - Help and Feedback - MiHope app
Regarding the vacuum, I have Roborock S5, and its working fine on the EU server, so I use two regions, one EU and one Chinese Mainland. This way the Vacuum is not impacted in any way. Try changing the region and add the vacuum in the EU region. When you need to access any of them, you can just switch between the regions (although now the Chinese region is not working for us)

You can contact them at: https://www.facebook.com/XiaomiSupportGlobal/ Also I have opened a ticket via the App - Help and Feedback - MiHope app
Regarding the vacuum, I have Roborock S5, and its working fine on the EU server, so I use two regions, one EU and one Chinese Mainland. This way the Vacuum is not impacted in any way. Try changing the region and add the vacuum in the EU region. When you need to access any of them, you can just switch between the regions (although now the Chinese region is not working for us)
Thank you, will use the Facebook link. In the app I already did but no reply. My S5 is Chinese bought but still works on the China mainland server. Moving my S2 to European server did also not work. I did not try all servers as I don't have so many accounts, but I doubt that will work too.

I also sent a feedback but no luck as well. I tried looking into HomeAssistant and Homebridge today, but unfortunately one of the prerequisites is having a set up and up-to-date device in the Mi Home app, which is not the case for the Control Hub and other devices specific to Mainland chinese servers. Hence running the Control Hubs locally/offline is impossible if you have not set them up before this outage.

I do not expect to get any response from Xiaomi; way too big to care for this matter. I think I am going to try to get an EU Control Hub and try to set everything up. However I have read a few posts around that say that they are not reliable at all. I might as well change everything and go for something like Shelly, which I have been using for years now.

Reactions: Gunterius
I sent a message to mijia home appliances from aliexpress. I'm sure they would also want this to work or have a workaround otherwise they would not sell anything anymore either...

Good idea, I will do the same. I have made a checklist from Shelly for everything I need to buy and I don't like the idea of putting more money to trash devices that could actually work. Hopefully they get back online in the next few days.

A colleague of mine is using a modified version of MiHome (by Vevs) which is region-unlocked and he doesn't have any issues with the Hub. I'm using MiHome on iPhone but will test this with an Android phone this mod to see if I have any success.
Definitely, we should look at moving out of the Xiaomi ecosystem but I don't want to throw away the devices I already have.
What I think of doing is, setup a HA, link all different smart devices (TV, AC, etc) and if the thing with the mod doesn't work, I will buy EU Hub to try connecting at least some of the devices. Last resort is MQTT and flash the devices but it would take time.

Shelly are good, but if I have to replace all the sensors and switches that I currently have, I will have to spend at least 500 EUR.

I am on iOS as well but I always have an Android device in the drawer just for these kind of issues. I have tried the modded Mi Home app that you are mentioning. Unfortunately, while it works for most devices, it does not work with Mi Control Hub (also my Mi Lamps models are not supported for that matter).

The last resort that you mention would be the best solution, though it would mean setting up a new hub (RPi maybe) and trashing the Mi Control Hubs that I own right now. Still a pity, but it could work. I think I am more lazy now than a few years back hence I want a ready-made solution.

I see your estimates for the Shelly replacements and yes, this is around what I am looking for. As I said above I think I am going for this purchase since while it would be fun to play around with MQTT and HASS, I need to create a simple and easy to use system for my family.

Update from my side. I purchased Mi Hub 2 for the EU market. I was able to pair all switches, temperature sensors, and motion sensors. Which for me is a good deal. Now what's left is all Chinese Zigbee Smart Plugs and Strips. Strips I will be able to use as a "dumb" devices which is still ok, but I will have to buy some EU Smart plugs (until I figure out how to flash the Chinese version but then I will need 3rd party Zigbee hub). This was the quickest and the easiest for me workaround.

So to recap:
Cons:
Chinese Zigbee Strips and Plugs don't work on EU hub
Hub2 doesn't have a speaker (or at least I have not found one), and I used the Hub1 as a doorbell and alarm.
Will have to spend ~100EUR (including the price for the hub2 that I already bought) to migrate everything to EU server.

Pros:
Now everything (including Vacuum, Camera, Purifier) is in the EU region so I don't have to switch between the regions constantly.
Hub2 has better Zigbee coverage, LAN port, and 5Ghz Wifi

Update from my side. I purchased Mi Hub 2 for the EU market. I was able to pair all switches, temperature sensors, and motion sensors. Which for me is a good deal. Now what's left is all Chinese Zigbee Smart Plugs and Strips. Strips I will be able to use as a "dumb" devices which is still ok, but I will have to buy some EU Smart plugs (until I figure out how to flash the Chinese version but then I will need 3rd party Zigbee hub). This was the quickest and the easiest for me workaround.

So to recap:
Cons:
Chinese Zigbee Strips and Plugs don't work on EU hub
Hub2 doesn't have a speaker (or at least I have not found one), and I used the Hub1 as a doorbell and alarm.
Will have to spend ~100EUR (including the price for the hub2 that I already bought) to migrate everything to EU server.

Pros:
Now everything (including Vacuum, Camera, Purifier) is in the EU region so I don't have to switch between the regions constantly.
Hub2 has better Zigbee coverage, LAN port, and 5Ghz Wifi
So you were also able to connect the vaccuum to the EU hub? Mine is wifi only so I was wondering how that could work?

Roborock has always been connected to EU. It didnt allow me to add it to the Chinese server. So try to move to EU server and try adding the vacuum to see if it allows. Since its Wifi, its not dependent on any hub.

Roborock has always been connected to EU. It didnt allow me to add it to the Chinese server. So try to move to EU server and try adding the vacuum to see if it allows. Since its Wifi, its not dependent on any hub.
OK that confirms what I thought. The hub will not solve our issue for Chinese server bound wifi devices.

I installed the region-unlocked APK MiHome by Vevs on an old Android phone and I was able to successfully connect the Hub on the Chinese Region. So I won't be throwing away all those switches but will keep them connected on that hub. I don't trust the Russian APK so won't be adding new devices either.

I installed the region-unlocked APK MiHome by Vevs on an old Android phone and I was able to successfully connect the Hub on the Chinese Region. So I won't be throwing away all those switches but will keep them connected on that hub. I don't trust the Russian APK so won't be adding new devices either.
Will try that start next week when I'm back home thanks!

I have the same problem, all "China only" devices and actuators have been offline for over two weeks. I was able to add ZigBee actuators again with the EU Hub. But China WiFi devices, especially the Mi bulbs, can no longer be added. As a test, I was able to register them again via a hotspot with a Chinese VPN. With the same SSID and password for the home WiFi. Conclusion: It is definitely the China/EU servers and therefore Xiaomi's fault! I was also unable to add the other devices using the modified Xiaomi Home app.

I have the same problem, all "China only" devices and actuators have been offline for over two weeks. I was able to add ZigBee actuators again with the EU Hub. But China WiFi devices, especially the Mi bulbs, can no longer be added. As a test, I was able to register them again via a hotspot with a Chinese VPN. With the same SSID and password for the home WiFi. Conclusion: It is definitely the China/EU servers and therefore Xiaomi's fault! I was also unable to add the other devices using the modified Xiaomi Home app.
Good test! , I could also try to use a von to get them registered the n maybe move towards a home automation server?

Today everything seems to be working again! Does anyone know what the problem was?
Not for me. I tried to add the gateway as new device also but still the same. Same as the other offline devices. Which country you live in?