Heating Problems, Roms, Apps & Settings

I dont want to think that the problem is the hardware. I had a Mi3 and i did not have any heat issue.
It is a hardware problem that a lot of people are trying to control with software.
Look, my Samsung 1.2 dual core used to do much more, including gaming, without any heat issue. I left it because Samsung do not update ROMs to the middle and lower level devices. One day I wanted to install an app and I couldn't do it anymore.
That's when I came across with my present chinese self-mealting ferrari...
I am not sure how Apple solved their heat issues with the latest iPhones, just know that they did it fast. Xiaomi is doing nothing...

EDIT: of course that a dual core is not the same thing as a hexacore or an octacore. But the energy needed to do some tasks, the same tasks, and the heat generated shouldn't be soooo different..!?

Last edited:
It say that when you turn the screen on, from an off state the cpu will jump to higher clocks...but the time it spend in this "higher" state is measured in MILLISECOND. So no, it's not that that add worm to our device, plus after that said "timer" the cpu will go down IF there are no load on the cpu, infact if you just watch the screen doin' nothing with say, kernal auditor or ExKernel manager, you will see that the cpu will clock down to his minimum.

View attachment 13479
PS: just two question if I may...?
- your screenshot does not shows "Kestrel.txt" only "Kestrel"... did you load the Kestrel.txt with ExKernel anyway...?
- Did you turn ON the "apply on boot"...? Does it work...? Mine doesn't...

Thanks again!

ex_kernel.jpg
EDIT: notice the different temperature...? The phone was at sleep, no connectivity on, nothing...! It's summer, I'll give you that, and my summer might be more hot than yours, but not today: 28 inside and 30 outside...!
Now imagine: data connection on, gps on and google maps on - driving. It's really crazy, and I mean it - you hardly can touch the phone. Just to take the screenshot the CPU went up to 47...??? Why...???

Last edited:
It is a hardware problem that a lot of people are trying to control with software.
Look, my Samsung 1.2 dual core used to do much more, including gaming, without any heat issue. I left it because Samsung do not update ROMs to the middle and lower level devices. One day I wanted to install an app and I couldn't do it anymore.
That's when I came across with my present chinese self-mealting ferrari...
I am not sure how Apple solved their heat issues with the latest iPhones, just know that they did it fast. Xiaomi is doing nothing...

EDIT: of course that a dual core is not the same thing as a hexacore or an octacore. But the energy needed to do some tasks, the same tasks, and the heat generated shouldn't be soooo different..!?

I would like to think that is software. But that would not explain why it works well in some people and bad on others.

In case of the snapdragon 810 that was a issue in the cpu. Almost all smartphone powerd with 810 had issues. And about nexus 5x, same cpu. As far as i know there are no issues of heating.

Reactions: Rui Cambraia
I test the smartphone in powersave and did not heat with regular tasks.

Iam trying to ajust setting by app using tasker.

If you don't need that much power to do daily
PS: just two question if I may...?
- your screenshot does not shows "Kestrel.txt" only "Kestrel"... did you load the Kestrel.txt with ExKernel anyway...?
- Did you turn ON the "apply on boot"...? Does it work...? Mine doesn't...

I just renamed the file...is the same
No, i did not...i do that manually each time i have to.

BTW you have dual sim, maybe the fact that he needs to look for two signals makes it hotter... dunno

If you don't need that much power to do daily

I just renamed the file...is the same
No, i did not...i do that manually each time i have to.

BTW you have dual sim, maybe the fact that he needs to look for two signals makes it hotter... dunno

I have one sim and it gets hot anyway.

Got bether with powersave. The old governor is no longer avalable i mean conservative? As i understand it was a halfway between powersave and ondemand.

Guys, just to leave a feedback about where I'am standing: after a lot of experiments with ROMs, scripts and settings - with the great help and suggestions of @Raventlov and @Patadas - besides the fact that I got good battery life I did not solve the heating problem. I am now testing the Team SuperLuminal, Mi4C dedicated, Cyanogenmod based 13.1 ROM.
It's Android 6.0.1, and for the first time ever, since I have this self-melting phone, it is cool, fresh, chilly, cold.
Didn't do a heavy test yet but it's already great, because with Miui 8 it was hot even when it was idle.
For now I am not missig MIUI or SMIUI features even though CM is quite different.
I'll keep updating this info...

check it here ---> http://www.teamsuperluminal.org/download/cm-13-1-20160827-ts-libra-zip/

Reactions: Raventlov
Hello,

I allready have an MI4C (running SMIUI) experiencing this same problem. When GPS and data are on the phone gets ridicoulously hot. ( @Raventlov I do indeed have a silicon cover)

Beginning next week I am expecting 2 more MI4C's.

This makes it possible, for a few day's since the phones are not for me personaly, that I can test different firmwares next to eachother all doing the same thing.

However, I am new to this thread and have no idea what would be the best way to proceed wich would help you guys the most.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea and is able to help me run the tests by directing me wich firmswares to install etc. etc. I am willing to run the actual tests.

Greetings

Hello,

I allready have an MI4C (running SMIUI) experiencing this same problem. When GPS and data are on the phone gets ridicoulously hot. ( @Raventlov I do indeed have a silicon cover)

Beginning next week I am expecting 2 more MI4C's.

This makes it possible, for a few day's since the phones are not for me personaly, that I can test different firmwares next to eachother all doing the same thing.

However, I am new to this thread and have no idea what would be the best way to proceed wich would help you guys the most.

If anyone thinks this is a good idea and is able to help me run the tests by directing me wich firmswares to install etc. etc. I am willing to run the actual tests.

Greetings
The first thing I would suggest is (eventually) to use a bumper and a screen protector, instead of a silicon cover. I believe the tempered glass that I am using on the phone also keeps the heat from the sreen, so I am also questioning if it is a good idea.

Presently me and @Patadas we are both testing the CyanogenMod 13, usually with the native "eficiency" battery profile (only 4 cores running). We are also testing modified "init.qcom.post_boot.sh" + "thermal-engine-8992.conf" + "ts_power.sh" by @Patadas (after a lot of research), which are files that configure the thermal beavior of the phone. So, we have the phone's horse power lower than the normal, "touch boost" turned off, and only 4 cores running instead of 6.

The results are acceptable (for me at least), the best until now, but the difference is noticeable in terms of performance. Not bad at all, but still noticeable.

I believe that running GPS + 3G (or worse 4G) + any app that manage GPS data will heat up any phone, but even more if it is a Qualcomm processor's phone.

Please keep in mind that Qualcomm processors, specially the Snapdragon 808 and 810 are known for overheating issues, and there's nothing we can do about it (only dealing with thermal settings in order to keep the heat in control), but it also depends on the kind of use one does of the phone, and other conditions (like using a silicon cover, or living somewhere with 40 celcius during the day - like me).

My son just got a Huawei known for not having heating issues, so I will have a chance to compare, and if I found a huge difference between them I will not hesitate in changing my phone.

Can the performance be app or even better GPS / 3G based ?

If 3G and GPS are running, then only use 4 cores, else use 6 ? (app would also be fine....)

I have also ordered several different covers. I am now using a very thick cover wich definatly will not help and will try them all. Have not ordered a bumper yet... They are fairly expensive compared to simple covers.

Which Huawei is comparable to an MI4C ? The MI4C has, I think, a very good price performance. Curious which Huawei you have in mind that can match it (or gets close without any issues :) )

Reactions: Patadas
In the rom CM 13 there are 5 battery profiles. If one chooses "Eficiency" (the second lowest) the phone woks allways with only 4 cores. The lowest use a "Powersave" mode, not good. Then you have "Balanced", "Fast" and "Performance". I will test "Balanced" soon, but "Fast" and "Performance" will heat up the phone, even with the custom thermal files mentioned earlier.

Huawei P9 LITE is an octacore 3/16. A litlle bit more expensive than Mi4C. But then there's the Huawei Honor C5 which is the P9 LITE without the finger sensor, and only presents a 2/16 version, and it costs €200,00...! It's exactly the P9 LITE with less 1 GB ram and without the finger sensor.

If it does not overheat for me it will be perfect.

Reactions: Patadas
In the rom CM 13 there are 5 battery profiles. If one chooses "Eficiency" (the second lowest) the phone woks allways with only 4 cores. The lowest use a "Powersave" mode, not good. Then you have "Balanced", "Fast" and "Performance". I will test "Balanced" soon, but "Fast" and "Performance" will heat up the phone, even with the custom thermal files mentioned earlier.

Thanks, it will be one of the options I will try on the 3 phones that I will have.

Any other ideas are welcome.

Finaly received my phones today. Think they came on boat or something. Anyway, will see what is possible.

Are there any other roms besides CM13 that have the powersave functions ? Preferable roms that are not rooted ?

This because the phones are for my kids... and they want to play Pokemon Go which is not possible on rooted phones. So it would be nice if there are roms out there where I can test the battery profiles functions without the need to have root acces.

tia !

I don't know. @Patadas is the one who has extensively search for a solution among ROMs and thermal configurations. Perhaps he has a sugestion to make. Without root I would think about the SMiui... but using a Mi4C for Pokemon Go will be quite a challenger... (regarding heating issues)...!

It indeed is :) Kids are now playing it on my phone and it gets hot fast. I planned to test using PoGo since that will show results very fast :)

Have found several options so far, think I will go with Omni rom wich is not rooted as far as I read but does seem to have battery profiles. On xda I have also found some tweaks for heating issue's wich should not be to hard to apply. Using SuperSU I can get root acces, change the tweaks and then take out root acces again. (Don't think I will need it anyway in the future, kids don't do a lot of tweaking :) )

Will keep you guys up to date.

It indeed is :) Kids are now playing it on my phone and it gets hot fast. I planned to test using PoGo since that will show results very fast :)

Have found several options so far, think I will go with Omni rom wich is not rooted as far as I read but does seem to have battery profiles. On xda I have also found some tweaks for heating issue's wich should not be to hard to apply. Using SuperSU I can get root acces, change the tweaks and then take out root acces again. (Don't think I will need it anyway in the future, kids don't do a lot of tweaking :) )

Will keep you guys up to date.

hi,

you can use the Pokemon and use root at the same time :) Omni rom from team superluminal is a good option.

for educational purposes only and not for illegal purposes you can try this root files:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68969947&postcount=1063

best regards,
John

P.S: i dont now if i can share this link here if not please anyone tell me so, I would appreciate it.

3 phones running now.

2 with the latest Omni rom installed. Omni has 4 power profiles. Efficiency, balanced, fast and performance. One phone is running on Efficiency, the other is running on balanced. I have not changed anything other than that.

The third phone has Smiui installed. I will leave that how it is for now and will, later today, test the 3 phones by going out and have them run data, GPS etc. Any suggestions on having a software program running the same tests are welcome.

I have not done any other tweaking than this. (No ExKernel... would not even know where to find it at this moment :) and also I found some other tweaks on xda that might be helpfull but also, for now, not used)

-- sharing some antutu results edit --

Tested the 3 phones with antutu. Omni rom - 69519 Smiui - 69131 Omni rom Efficiency - 39313

The 3D performance goes down the most, from 19491 to 6803
UX goes down from 24524 to 14952
CPU down from 19854 to 12705
RAM from 5262 to 4881

Since I don't realy use my phone for 3D it might even be usable this way... not sure, we will see.

Last edited:
3 phones running now.

2 with the latest Omni rom installed. Omni has 4 power profiles. Efficiency, balanced, fast and performance. One phone is running on Efficiency, the other is running on balanced. I have not changed anything other than that.

The third phone has Smiui installed. I will leave that how it is for now and will, later today, test the 3 phones by going out and have them run data, GPS etc. Any suggestions on having a software program running the same tests are welcome.

I have not done any other tweaking than this. (No ExKernel... would not even know where to find it at this moment :) and also I found some other tweaks on xda that might be helpfull but also, for now, not used)

-- sharing some antutu results edit --

Tested the 3 phones with antutu. Omni rom - 69519 Smiui - 69131 Omni rom Efficiency - 39313

The 3D performance goes down the most, from 19491 to 6803
UX goes down from 24524 to 14952
CPU down from 19854 to 12705
RAM from 5262 to 4881

Since I don't realy use my phone for 3D it might even be usable this way... not sure, we will see.
I am not familiar with benchmark numbers, nor the antutu software. Could you please translate all that into daily plain english, I mean, your point of view regarding the heat and performance issues...? I would appreciate because I am interested in a ROM that only needs native options to control all those problems...! Thanks...!

Sorry, was not thinking about heat here. Since I am testing "efficience" wich is a setting that makes the phone run slower, I was curious how slow it would be running. Therefore I tested using Antutu to see how much impact the "efficiency" setting had.

To put it into perspective, the MI4C apperantly has a score of 69500
You also have a Huawei P9 Lite, that phone has a score of roughly 53000
I used to have an Xiaomi Mi2s (3 years old or something...) wich I was happy with, score 25000
My wife had a Redmi 2 (she was also happy with that :) ) wich had a score of 24000

Running the Mi 4C on efficiency (score 40000) makes it faster than the old phones I had. That might make it very acceptable considering the price of the Mi4C. Still, if we eventualy get better scores by for example editing the thermal engine files with also acceptable temperatures, then that would be nice.

Just having me say "the phone has a good temperature and feels fine" does not do much for others. I like to compare objective scores where possible.

Therefore Antutu scores :) They don't do anything for the temperature though. Just help us deside later what the best option will be.

Hello, will likely do some proper testing later today but did any of you guy's play around with the thermal config files ?

I did not know it existed until I received my phones and started reading up on it but it seems to have some very good effect to use different thermal config files:

http://en.miui.com/thread-197481-1-1.html

When reading up on it, it seems to be the proper way to go because it will not impact the performance of the phone all the time, just when it is getting hotter. There are even ways to disable certain cores... where I do not know what the performance profiles used in the rom actualy do...

Would like to know if anyone in this thread has played around with that yet.

Hello, will likely do some proper testing later today but did any of you guy's play around with the thermal config files ?

I did not know it existed until I received my phones and started reading up on it but it seems to have some very good effect to use different thermal config files:

http://en.miui.com/thread-197481-1-1.html

When reading up on it, it seems to be the proper way to go because it will not impact the performance of the phone all the time, just when it is getting hotter. There are even ways to disable certain cores... where I do not know what the performance profiles used in the rom actualy do...

Would like to know if anyone in this thread has played around with that yet.
I am using three thermal files tweaked by @Patadas... I am travelling this weekend, can't help you more for now...!

Hello,

ran 2 test. First one was simple. Do I notice I am running my phone in efficiency profile. Well... I went out with my family, we all now have the same phone, and we played some Pokemon Go. When we arrived home I had to double check if my phone was indeed set to efficiency because I honestly did not notice it. This will ofcourse be very different for other people and will depend greatly on the things you are doing on your phone.

Today a much more objective test. I found an app that can do a "stress test" called StabilityTest

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.into.stability

I installed that on all 3 phones and activated it on all 3 phones simultaniously.

The starting temperature was between 26.5 and 27.5 degrees. (Maybe I should have waited for the starting temperatures to be equal but I will keep that for next time) All phones where taken out of their covers and placed on a leather mat. (Simulating equal covers)

I started writing down the temperatures and the number of runs per core (I probably should have written down total runs but I did not see that value in the beginning) and continued to do that every 2 minutes up till minute 22.

(pasted at the bottom)

The results supprised me.

Best temperature after running 22 minutes was achieved with the efficiency profile. The final temperature was 43.5 degrees

Second came the Omni rom. Final temperature 44 degrees.

Third SMIUI with 44.7 degrees.

Intrestingly enough, at 20 minutes SMIUI (and StabilityTest also did) reported the temperature had reached 45 degrees. I guess some kind of safety measure (probably set in the thermal config file) then kicks in and the temperature will not get any higher. As we see with all 3 tests, in the beginning the temperature goes up a lot faster than later in the test.

What supprised me the most however was that in the end, after 22 minutes, the final temperature did not differ all that much. I was personaly not expecting that.... I realy thought that the efficiency profile would keep the final temperature a lot lower.

Anyway, I think this is a very usefull way to test different setups on our phones. With StabilityTest we can see how performance suffers for, hopefully, better temperatures. However, I have the feeling, if in the thermal config is set up to allow a temperature of 45 degrees, it appears that the phone will get there one way or another. Yes, with the efficiency profile it takes a little longer (looking at the graph it appears to help most the first 12 minutes but then it stops to help) but it will get there...

Knipsel.JPG

Values in the sheet are mostly rounded up except for at the end. Runs are runs per core.

Knipsel.JPG

Hello,

ran 2 test. First one was simple. Do I notice I am running my phone in efficiency profile. Well... I went out with my family, we all now have the same phone, and we played some Pokemon Go. When we arrived home I had to double check if my phone was indeed set to efficiency because I honestly did not notice it. This will ofcourse be very different for other people and will depend greatly on the things you are doing on your phone.

Today a much more objective test. I found an app that can do a "stress test" called StabilityTest

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.into.stability

I installed that on all 3 phones and activated it on all 3 phones simultaniously.

The starting temperature was between 26.5 and 27.5 degrees. (Maybe I should have waited for the starting temperatures to be equal but I will keep that for next time) All phones where taken out of their covers and placed on a leather mat. (Simulating equal covers)

I started writing down the temperatures and the number of runs per core (I probably should have written down total runs but I did not see that value in the beginning) and continued to do that every 2 minutes up till minute 22.

(pasted at the bottom)

The results supprised me.

Best temperature after running 22 minutes was achieved with the efficiency profile. The final temperature was 43.5 degrees

Second came the Omni rom. Final temperature 44 degrees.

Third SMIUI with 44.7 degrees.

Intrestingly enough, at 20 minutes SMIUI (and StabilityTest also did) reported the temperature had reached 45 degrees. I guess some kind of safety measure (probably set in the thermal config file) then kicks in and the temperature will not get any higher. As we see with all 3 tests, in the beginning the temperature goes up a lot faster than later in the test.

What supprised me the most however was that in the end, after 22 minutes, the final temperature did not differ all that much. I was personaly not expecting that.... I realy thought that the efficiency profile would keep the final temperature a lot lower.

Anyway, I think this is a very usefull way to test different setups on our phones. With StabilityTest we can see how performance suffers for, hopefully, better temperatures. However, I have the feeling, if in the thermal config is set up to allow a temperature of 45 degrees, it appears that the phone will get there one way or another. Yes, with the efficiency profile it takes a little longer (looking at the graph it appears to help most the first 12 minutes but then it stops to help) but it will get there...

View attachment 13937

Values in the sheet are mostly rounded up except for at the end. Runs are runs per core.

View attachment 13938
Well... it's overwhelming... what a test...!
I did not understand the "efficiency" parameter... it's from which ROM...?

In the end the point still remains: SnapDragon 810 only goes down on temperature if you do mess with governors and/or with thermal config files. As I said before, I am using the CM 13.1 TS, with the efficiency battery profile, and @Patadas tweaked thermal files. I'm good, but as far as I could understand he is not so good - still dealing with heating issues.
But I just updated the CM-TS ROM and lost the tweaked thermal files - I will have to replace them again, and even though it takes only 2 minutes, the thing is that I am getting fed up with all this Mi4C's SnapDragon problems...
My son has a €200,00 Huawei Honor C5 (P9 Light equivalent) runnig the "PK Go" allways fresh and happy (xxx#$%&WM...!!!)