Heating Problems, Roms, Apps & Settings

My efficiency parameters are from the Omni Rom. It is a setting I could choose in the ROM settings. It will have the phone running on "half speed".

You are correct, the only way, atleast to me it seems, to get the temperature down is to allow a lower maximum temperature in the thermal files. That way the phone will get less hot.

Seems that @Patadas has the most experience with thermal profiles, if he can provide me with two profiles, I will run the same test compared to a clean rom. We can then see what it does. I am pretty sure it will get us a lower temperature but curious what the impact on performance will do. Probably at the start of the test very little and when the max temperature is reached, it will start slowing down.

Probably for most that is something we can live with very well. Only for gamers where performance stays important, that want to game more than 20 minutes, it will not work.

@Rui Cambraia can you run the StabilityTest software on your son's phone ? I am very curious what that will do. What the temperature will be after running for 22 minutes.

Reactions: Rui Cambraia
My efficiency parameters are from the Omni Rom. It is a setting I could choose in the ROM settings. It will have the phone running on "half speed".

You are correct, the only way, atleast to me it seems, to get the temperature down is to allow a lower maximum temperature in the thermal files. That way the phone will get less hot.

Seems that @Patadas has the most experience with thermal profiles, if he can provide me with two profiles, I will run the same test compared to a clean rom. We can then see what it does. I am pretty sure it will get us a lower temperature but curious what the impact on performance will do. Probably at the start of the test very little and when the max temperature is reached, it will start slowing down.

Probably for most that is something we can live with very well. Only for gamers where performance stays important, that want to game more than 20 minutes, it will not work.

@Rui Cambraia can you run the StabilityTest software on your son's phone ? I am very curious what that will do. What the temperature will be after running for 22 minutes.
Ok, I can ask him to... if it does not need root, because the phone is not rooted e he does not want it to be rooted...

No, StabilityTest does not need root. My phones are also not rooted :) If the phone has root, StabilityTest can perfom some extra tests but I do not think we need that in any way.

Hello,

ran 2 test. First one was simple. Do I notice I am running my phone in efficiency profile. Well... I went out with my family, we all now have the same phone, and we played some Pokemon Go. When we arrived home I had to double check if my phone was indeed set to efficiency because I honestly did not notice it. This will ofcourse be very different for other people and will depend greatly on the things you are doing on your phone.

Today a much more objective test. I found an app that can do a "stress test" called StabilityTest

(...)

Values in the sheet are mostly rounded up except for at the end. Runs are runs per core.

View attachment 13938

hi,

great work @nachtwacht and @Rui Cambraia ,

The app StabilityTest shows in the test view the battery temperature and not the CPU temperature, not the same sensor.

I will do the test with 2 battery profiles. efficiency and balance and will post the results here.

best regards.

@Patadas Great, looking forward to it. Do you know of an app that will show the cpu temperature ? Also, do you have some ideas for the thermal config file that we can use ? I found several thermal config files but no idea which is most interesting to test....

@Patadas Great, looking forward to it. Do you know of an app that will show the cpu temperature ? Also, do you have some ideas for the thermal config file that we can use ? I found several thermal config files but no idea which is most interesting to test....

does the test stop by it self? at this moment:
28m CPU 51/gpu 190/ temp 39.2
with balance battery profile.

battery at 17%...lets wait a little more.

does the test stop by it self? at this moment:
28m CPU 51/gpu 190/ temp 39.2
with balance battery profile.

battery at 17%...lets wait a little more.

i had to stop it, almost 45m and still continuing.

You can try my thermal engine profile with omni rom. I will share the file at night after put my sons to sleep.

Last edited:
It indeed does not stop by itself. 28 minutes with a temperature of 39.2 sounds very good. At 22 minutes all my tests where very close to 45 degrees. Looking forward to the thermal engine profile, will let you know how it goes.

some mi4c user have problem with hidden notification with whatsapp? I want hide the clear message and keeping hidden like "you have new message", but i cant. App lock is turned on, wtf?

hi,

This files are the one that I change for better temperature.
place to put the files= "/system/etc/"
url=https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuZdJq9kiHjEgtQEFbJogvDOdd27Gg

to use with this rom and you also will need root and restart the phone after apply the files :
http://www.teamsuperluminal.org/omni-6-0-1-20161002-libra-ts-6-0-1/

the thermal engine will try to keep the phone temperate below 42ºC, and to do that it will cut the CPU frequency.

You can achieve better temperature without any back case and with efficiency battery profile.

At this moment I am using a metal bumper to protect the phone from any accident.

Last edited:
hi,
se parlo italiano mi capite?
ho un mi4c con la rom mokee e twrp installata.
ho provato ad installare la miui ita ed ha brikkato,
volevo sapere se posso provare con una rom multi con italiano,

grazie

I don't know but my Mi Max gets hot only when I have a theme runs 3D wallpaper. That hot also 37 degree... Mine was also optimisation off but for other reason I kept it on but changed optimisation level low... Nothing else..

hi,
se parlo italiano mi capite?
ho un mi4c con la rom mokee e twrp installata.
ho provato ad installare la miui ita ed ha brikkato,
volevo sapere se posso provare con una rom multi con italiano,
grazie
English is the one and only language accepted in this board. I will use italian just for helping him solving his problem.
Cosa intendi con brickato, la rom si blocca durante la animazione o durante la prima configurazione? Con miui ita intendi quella dal sito miui.it? Se puoi accedere a twrp ti consiglio di provare con un factory reset a installare la rom dev prelevata da xiaomi.eu.

Hello,

back to some testing allthough I am not completely happy with my phones at the moment. A week ago Pokemon Go was upgraded and it caused that it would not work anymore on Omni Rom, the one I was using. So I was back to choosing a rom where I rather would be tweaking my rom...

Since hardly any rom works currently with Pokemon Go (and this was the main purpose of buying 2 phones for my kids :) ) I had to revert back to MIUI. Fortunatly the MIUI version from xiaomi.eu works with Pokemon Go without the need to unroot or anything.

So my next test was with MIUI... and it was a suprising test.... Everybody complains about the "original" rom getting the phone hot so I was expecting bad performance. The first tests when starting StabilityTest the starting temperatures where roughly 27 degrees. I started MIUI at 31 degrees so it started a little hotter. (I had it on the loader minutes before so that was probably the reason for that) I desided to run the test anyway.

The green line in the graph is what happened next.

Knipsel.JPG

We can see that it starts with a high temperature but after 12 minutes it is even running lower than Omin Rom with the efficiency profiles (meaning only 4 cores out of 6 are used)

After 22 minutes it had reached the lowest temperature of all tests. I had the test running for another 6 minutes but that hardly made any differince in the temperature (it stayed at 43 for 4 minutes and then went to 43.2)

Since temperature usualy goes together with performance it is very interesting to see that using MIUI the performance is the best out of the 4 tests (after 22 minutes it had run 26 tests, same as SMIUI)

So far, heat wise, this has been the best test. This is also using MIUI out of the box with no tweaks at all. This is ofcourse the battery temperature but I can only assume that if that temperature stays 2 degrees lower in this test, the overall temperature of the phone will also stay lower.

There were some new tweaks added this week to this thread, did anyone try them ? If so, can you run the same test as I did ? Also, I ordered a 4th phone. My 3 phones are now used by the kids but the youngest... he also wanted a new phone :) I do not want to start testing to root and unroot to adjust settings on the phones we are now using but I will do that on the new one that is comming so if nobody has tested the fixes posted previously I will do it but in a few weeks time. (Phones take long time to ship these days....)

Last edited:
Hello,

back to some testing allthough I am not completely happy with my phones at the moment. A week ago Pokemon Go was upgraded and it caused that it would not work anymore on Omni Rom, the one I was using. So I was back to choosing a rom where I rather would be tweaking my rom...

Since hardly any rom works currently with Pokemon Go (and this was the main purpose of buying 2 phones for my kids :) ) I had to revert back to MIUI. Fortunatly the MIUI version from xiaomi.eu works with Pokemon Go without the need to unroot or anything
Which version of MIUI??

Received my 4th MI4C today. It will be a backup and this one is ready for testing. I tried to install CM13.1 from TS and unroot (since I do want to be able to play PoGo) but unfortunatly that did not work. PoGo does not start up.

Anyone any idea which rom to try ? Preferable a rom that can be rooted, then apply some heating tweaks, and then unroot again....

TIA

Hi guys, just to say that I am leaving this thread, and want to thank you all the help and contributions posted here.
Hope you still find it usefull and find the best solutions for your phone's heating problems.

I am currently using the Team Superluminal CM 13.1 with the native "efficiency" battery profile - and I am good. I can use the phone as I need it without heating issues anymore.
I am also using the Xposed Framework and Installer, with some modules that may help getting better battery life (and less CPU processing?).

I can't stay any longer messing with thermal scripts and governors, because I can't spend more time around the phone anymore.
Thanks everybody, all the best...!