Heating Problems, Roms, Apps & Settings

Rui, what kind of horse power you need? and to do what exactly?
If you game on the phone, well it's really hard to not get such little device HOT imho (plus consider that, at least for me, it's summer so it's worse then ever...even my computer runs hotter this day and i have a Noctua dissipator on it, top class air cooler)

If the device gets HOT while browsing, texting ...looking to youtube videos, spotify etc. than there is a problem.
Indeed if you don't adjust some values like i did and explained to you in the guide, the 4c suffers from heating.
Hi, well the thing is that I don't even need a lot of power. Two days ago I used the GPS for 35 km in my car. The phone got so hot that if I had to answer a call I would have to wait it to cool down...! My dual core Samsung did much more than this without any significant heat. Surfing the Internet (no videos!!), having the screen on for 5 minutes or so, installing apps - all this makes the phone go up to 42+
I've been using the Kestrel script, and I noticed an improvement regarding battery life, but not for heating problems.
These are well known regarding SD 808 and 810. It's not a firmware issue, even though I believe it can be less hard with some software adjustments - that's what I think. After all I have been reading I think we wont find any solution but cutting off some cores. ... unless I have a defective processor.
Thanks...!

Hello,
I also have problem with heating. I have Redmi 3 and phone heats up (On display right up side) when I speak, when I use the browser, when playing any games, when I use facebook. What could be the problem? I am on last version eu software
PS: Sorry for my bad english
Hi...! Thanks for sharing. This thread is to exchange information and try to find possible solutions. So, actually no one knows for sure what the problem is, and we are testing several suggestions from other users. Keep in touch and have a look to earlier posts...!

Hello,
I also have problem with heating. I have Redmi 3 and phone heats up (On display right up side) when I speak, when I use the browser, when playing any games, when I use facebook. What could be the problem? I am on last version eu software
PS: Sorry for my bad english
- just to remember you that this thread is under a Mi4C device forum. So you are wellcome but you will find that we are talking about a different processor. The Redmi 3 has a 1.2GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 616 processor, which is very different from the one used in the Mi4C...!

Rui, what kind of horse power you need? and to do what exactly?
If you game on the phone, well it's really hard to not get such little device HOT imho (plus consider that, at least for me, it's summer so it's worse then ever...even my computer runs hotter this day and i have a Noctua dissipator on it, top class air cooler)

If the device gets HOT while browsing, texting ...looking to youtube videos, spotify etc. than there is a problem.
Indeed if you don't adjust some values like i did and explained to you in the guide, the 4c suffers from heating.

Hi,

did you had heat issues? and you solve that with the "tweak" you describe ?

My Mi4C gets hot just by browsing the internet, got bether with smiui.

with the release of the mi4c kernel i should be a rom with that solved by now. How i miss HTC prophet community.

Reactions: Rui Cambraia
Sorry I didn't see that. However I can't understand how some users have а problem with heating and some users have not.
No problem! Actually we can use all the help we may have. I've been asking that same question from the start. No answer. But I guess we all do a very different use of the phone, and also the heat concept is subjective.

Hi,

did you had heat issues? and you solve that with the "tweak" you describe ?

My Mi4C gets hot just by browsing the internet, got bether with smiui.

with the release of the mi4c kernel i should be a rom with that solved by now. How i miss HTC prophet community.
Hi, regarding SMIUI I did not find any tweaks to tweak - I don't know what they mean by "thermal tweaks". I've been using a governor profile managed by an app which did improve battery life. I'am thinking about using both at the same time: SMIUI and the Kestrel profile... And we will see if the heat problem gets any better.

Hi, regarding SMIUI I did not find any tweaks to tweak - I don't know what they mean by "thermal tweaks". I've been using a governor profile managed by an app which did improve battery life. I'am thinking about using both at the same time: SMIUI and the Kestrel profile... And we will see if the heat problem gets any better.

i think smiui adjust

Last edited:
Reactions: Patadas
Hey Rui,
could you answer a question? don't want to look silly but...
do you have a silicon cover for the mi4c? ones that wraps the full body of the device? Because that could be one factor to look at...

Because is it true that the device get's hot but if you managed to set the profile on the governor, well... it should not get THAT hot. why? because the cpu after applying will not jump to highers clock at each operation like before. this should guarantee both better battery and temps.

Another factor of overheating could be the poor signal ... if the device is constantly looking for signal it will get HOT.

And for custom roms, if you have to ... try TeamSuperluminal CM13.1 , i think it's one of the best

The search for a alternative rom is for get one that had heat issue solve.

The One base on nexus 5x could be the one.

I will try to set the profile int to the governor before tryng some rom.

You have a tutorial post here, rigth?

Hey Rui,
could you answer a question? don't want to look silly but...
do you have a silicon cover for the mi4c? ones that wraps the full body of the device? Because that could be one factor to look at...

Because is it true that the device get's hot but if you managed to set the profile on the governor, well... it should not get THAT hot. why? because the cpu after applying will not jump to highers clock at each operation like before. this should guarantee both better battery and temps.

Another factor of overheating could be the poor signal ... if the device is constantly looking for signal it will get HOT.
I used to have a cover, by the time of Miui 7. With Miui 8 I don't use it anymore as I started to notice higher heating problems.
Believe me I've been using the Kestrel profile loaded with the ExKernel app. Battery is fine, heat is not.
Again, it is a well known processor issue, it's a design problem, and people are cutting some cores off to deal with the problem - also, I wonder if parameters like the ones in Kestrel profile would not be better along with another governor, like OnDemand - because the Interactive governor is still a high performance governor...?
Thanks again...!

Reactions: Raventlov
The search for a alternative rom is for get one that had heat issue solve.

The One base on nexus 5x could be the one.

I will try to set the profile int to the governor before tryng some rom.

You have a tutorial post here, rigth?
@Raventlov posted it earlier, page 1: it's the manual procedure to load the Kestrel script, and you'll need two apps, one in the phone and one in the computer for a ssh conection between them. Then it's easy - it's a great tutorial.
Because I reboot the phone often, and the script will be lost, I prefer to use the paid ExKernel app to load that same script. Just because it's a faster way to load it.

Reactions: Patadas
I used to have a cover, by the time of Miui 7. With Miui 8 I don't use it anymore as I started to notice higher heating problems.
Believe me I've been using the Kestrel profile loaded with the ExKernel app. Battery is fine, heat is not.
Again, it is a well known processor issue, it's a design problem, and people are cutting some cores off to deal with the problem - also, I wonder if parameters like the ones in Kestrel profile would not be better along with another governor, like OnDemand - because the Interactive governor is still a high performance governor...?
Thanks again...!

You can't use those parameters with OnDemand because it doesn't have the same parameters.

BTW on what ROM version you are? Miui 8.11 Xiaomi.eu ?

You can't use those parameters with OnDemand because it doesn't have the same parameters.

BTW on what ROM version you are? Miui 8.11 Xiaomi.eu ?
Yes, I understand that each script is intended to be used with a certain governor, sure. For now I am just trying to understand the pros & cons of each governor.
I am using SMIUI 6.8.18. Didn't have a change to make it through a fire test yet though.

Governors: Interactive Vs. OnDemand explained to newbies like me.

By rEcEivEr @ http://androidforums.com/threads/android-cpu-governors-explained.513426/

"Much like the OnDemand governor, the Interactive governor dynamically scales CPU clockspeed in response to the workload placed on the CPU by the user. This is where the similarities end. Interactive is significantly more responsive than OnDemand, because it's faster at scaling to maximum frequency.

Unlike OnDemand, which you'll recall scales clockspeed in the context of a work queue, Interactive scales the clockspeed over the course of a timer set arbitrarily by the kernel developer. In other words, if an application demands a ramp to maximum clockspeed (by placing 100% load on the CPU), a user can execute another task before the governor starts reducing CPU frequency. This can eliminate the frequency bouncing discussed in the OnDemand section. Because of this timer, Interactive is also better prepared to utilize intermediate clockspeeds that fall between the minimum and maximum CPU frequencies. This is another pro-battery life benefit of Interactive.

However, because Interactive is permitted to spend more time at maximum frequency than OnDemand (for device performance reasons), the battery-saving benefits discussed above are effectively negated. Long story short, Interactive offers better performance than OnDemand (some say the best performance of any governor) and negligibly different battery life.

Interactive also makes the assumption that a user turning the screen on will shortly be followed by the user interacting with some application on their device. Because of this, screen on triggers a ramp to maximum clockspeed, followed by the timer behavior described above."

- There's also the InteractiveX and the OnDemandX, which are an attempt to give better battery life for their base governors.
- From what is written above we understand the need of third party scripts in order to finetune this governors. However the balance between performance, battery life and heat is not an easy goal to achieve - worse, for sure, when dealing with SD 808 and 810.

Reactions: Raventlov
PS: "Interactive also makes the assumption that a user turning the screen on will shortly be followed by the user interacting with some application on their device. Because of this, screen on triggers a ramp to maximum clockspeed, followed by the timer behavior described above." - this might explain some issues reported by users : just having the screen on makes the phone hot...

It say that when you turn the screen on, from an off state the cpu will jump to higher clocks...but the time it spend in this "higher" state is measured in MILLISECOND. So no, it's not that that add worm to our device, plus after that said "timer" the cpu will go down IF there are no load on the cpu, infact if you just watch the screen doin' nothing with say, kernal auditor or ExKernel manager, you will see that the cpu will clock down to his minimum.

Screenshot_2016-08-23-14-10-22-420_flar2.exkernelmanager.png

I dont want to think that the problem is the hardware. I had a Mi3 and i did not have any heat issue.

It say that when you turn the screen on, from an off state the cpu will jump to higher clocks...but the time it spend in this "higher" state is measured in MILLISECOND. So no, it's not that that add worm to our device, plus after that said "timer" the cpu will go down IF there are no load on the cpu, infact if you just watch the screen doin' nothing with say, kernal auditor or ExKernel manager, you will see that the cpu will clock down to his minimum.

View attachment 13479
True, I noticed that with ExKernel. At least with the Kestrel profile. But it shows the tendence of the governor. I mean it makes sense, people need performance anyway. Thanks.