Proof Gps On Android 7 Buggy - Gps Accuracy Comparison On Xiaomi Mi 5

Lappen

Members
Dec 30, 2017
i always had the suspicion, that since android 7 the accuracy of the gps on the xiaomi mi5 just got worse. since then i posted a thread here in and on the official xiaomi forum with a bit off evidence to proove it. http://en.miui.com/thread-1133678-1-1.html

but now i think i have definately proof that it just got worse with android 7 and that just changing the gps.conf does sadly nothing to combat that.

i tested 4 different scenarios:
  1. android 6 global miui 8.1.4.0 with the miui global gps.conf which i just called android 6 8.1.4.0 gps.conf
  2. android 6 global miui 8.1.4.0 with the gps.conf from this thread of xda https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-5/how-to/step-step-definitive-gps-solution-global-t3695769 and also in this forum from the user ianhughes74. i just called it android 6 xda gps.conf in the video.
  3. android 7 newest xiaomi eu with the 8.1.4.0 global gps.conf which i called android 7 8.1.4.0 gps.conf
  4. android 7 newest xiaomi eu with the xda gps.conf which i called android 7 xda gps.conf.

what i did was, i walked the exact same route today 4 times with the different mobile configurations to test them. see video below

my analysis was as such, that i measured the percentage of the time the accuracy was below 20 and over 10 metres, and below 10 metres.
this is only interesting with android 7, because on android 6 it was always below 10 metres.

For android 6 i therefore looked at the amount of time the accuracy was at 3 metres. the best you can get.

here i show how much of the time the accuracy was below 20 metres or below 10 metres or even at 3 metres, while i was walking the same route 4 times with each configuration.
accuracy at..........3 metres................below 10 metres...........over 10 below 20 metres​
  • android 6 8.1.4.0 gps conf..................61% ..........................100%.....................................-
  • android 6 xda gps.conf.......................55%...........................100%.....................................-
  • android 7 8.1.4.0 gps.conf ..................0%..............................34%..................................66%
  • android 7 xda gps.con.........................0%..............................19% ..................................81%
you can see that xiaomi butchered the gps accuracy with android 7 on the mi5

video to prove it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

tl;dr: gps accuracy on android 7 is crap. it starts good then goes off the roof and stays there. pls xiaomi fix it.

Hello, good work. Actually i have the same conclusion.
GPS accurency is bad on MI5 since Android 7 (xiaomi version).

Have you tried the same route with Lineage OS 14 Android 7 ?

Hello, good work. Actually i have the same conclusion.
GPS accurency is bad on MI5 since Android 7 (xiaomi version).

Have you tried the same route with Lineage OS 14 Android 7 ?

not the same route. but i once had lineage OS 14 installed and the gps accuracy was also not good with that rom. i think it had to to with the miui firmware that you have to flash beforehand, but im not sure

My Mi5 directly don't work.. I have to use my old mi3 to travel hahaha

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk