Status
Not open for further replies.
I flash this forum ROMs few weeks ago its 3.8.16. How come I can't update in setting-about phone-system update? Update via WiFi..which is faster ..or I have to DL new ROMs rename update.zip do whole process again every time new patch? Sorry I'm kinda new here ..some give me answer thanks
1. Return to factory state
2. If you are on vanilla, there will be no miuiandroid-OTA. You should put pre-downloaded 'aries.zip' in root folder of sd card and choose this package in Updater application (menu key - select install pack)
3. After miuiandroid-edition will be flashed you should do additional reboot
4. Now, return to factory state from Settings (miuiandroid-edition will remain intact)
5. Additional reboot

That's it, now you can just flash new 'aries.zip' every friday either through OTA+wifi or as described in point 2 - all you apps and data will remain untouched. Have a nice experience :)

I just received my new mi2s, downloaded and installed 3.8.23 via updater, but now I have a problem with the wi-fi settings. I can connect to same network I connected to before the update, but everytime I try to open the wi-fi settings I get an error saying "Unfortunately, settings has stopped". Is there a solution? If not, how can I restore to a version without this issue?

I just received my new mi2s, downloaded and installed 3.8.23 via updater, but now I have a problem with the wi-fi settings. I can connect to same network I connected to before the update, but everytime I try to open the wi-fi settings I get an error saying "Unfortunately, settings has stopped". Is there a solution? If not, how can I restore to a version without this issue?
Just try to perform 'Return to factory state'. 3-8-23 will remain. If the issue will be fixed, then you should be punished for not reading the previous post :)

Pele is first on the world who brick his Xiaomi Red Rice... :)

for people experiencing the missing keyboard issue.
I can see that "Rebuilding" was changed to "Done".. All links were updated with new build? Can we download again and flash it then? Thanks for your efforts!

I've just installed the new version over yesterday released but it is the SAME. No keyboard.
Only Google Voice typing available in input setting.

I have to reinstall Google Keyboard from the Play Store.

Well if youre using different keyboard then I dont see point flashing again. Also you can just download any keyboard into internal memory and then just install as any normal app.

Reactions: Sharp87
I can see that "Rebuilding" was changed to "Done".. All links were updated with new build? Can we download again and flash it then? Thanks for your efforts!

Personally, just skip this release. Its still not perfect.

My keyboard also disappeared on this update. I need to install another keyboard from Play Store and reboot.

Could someone grab an entire logcat (time of boot, until like 30 seconds later). Of someone who flashed and lost keyboard? Its almost 48 hours later and I still can't reproduce or figure out why keyboard doesn't install on some devices.

Could someone grab an entire logcat (time of boot, until like 30 seconds later). Of someone who flashed and lost keyboard? Its almost 48 hours later and I still can't reproduce or figure out why keyboard doesn't install on some devices.
Tell me how and I will try, just hook up my device to adb and the run logcat + boot device?

The best would be to run command:
Code:
adb logcat > logcat.log
This will redirect logcat output to file logcat.log. Start the command after you reboot into bootlogo (from Updater or Recovery). When you unlock screen after booting you can press ctrl+c to stop logcat.
Then attach the log here.

Reactions: Sharp87
New build working fine here. Google keyboard sucks anyways, and can be installed manually

Sent from my Xiaomi MI2S

Ok, I have a logcat.
Just did the command as soon as the device booted after update (waiting for device was first)
Look at line 1177: It says there is notting in /data/media/preinstall_apps but LatinIMEGoogle.apk is in there though
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26139869/aries_boot.log

Ok, I have a logcat.
Just did the command as soon as the device booted after update (waiting for device was first)
Look at line 1177: It says there is notting in /data/media/preinstall_apps but LatinIMEGoogle.apk is in there though
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26139869/aries_boot.log

Strange.

I wonder if apks in that directory have to be signed with the same shared key that all apks in the folder are. All the previous APKs in there were made by Xiaomi and share the same key. Maybe the system requires that key and ignores all others. Otherwise it would be pretty easy to forge an unauthorized install.

Doesn't make sense though, how it works for about 80% of people.

Thanks. Logcat is correct. And yes, its weird...
Code:
No files in preinstall app dir /data/media/preinstall_apps

It should be easy to test that signing as we have testkey or platform. Most apps are signed by testkey (xiaomiframework is platform tho...).

Strange.

I wonder if apks in that directory have to be signed with the same shared key that all apks in the folder are. All the previous APKs in there were made by Xiaomi and share the same key. Maybe the system requires that key and ignores all others. Otherwise it would be pretty easy to forge an unauthorized install.

Doesn't make sense though, how it works for about 80% of people.
Maybe it doesn't work on newer devices?
My device build date is april 2013
Maybe only newer devices use the mechanism you describe.

I have absolutely no idea, just guessing

Maybe it doesn't work on newer devices?
My device build date is april 2013
Maybe only newer devices use the mechanism you describe.

I have absolutely no idea, just guessing

I don't think build date has anything to do with it. Since all ROMs get the same ROM flashed to them. The only thing that might be different is lower level partitions that aren't affected flash to flash, except none of those have anything to do with installing stuff.

I haven't looked at the kernel yet. I'll decompile the boot.img and see if there is an thing related to preinstall apps there.

Status
Not open for further replies.