Cannot Get Twrp Installed Using Fastboot

janjelmer1

Members
Nov 2, 2016
Hi all,

I've bought a Xiaomi Redmi 3s (2g/16gb version) and would like to install the xiaomi.eu ROM. To flash the ROM, first the TWRP recovery needs to be flashed using fastboot. The phone is recognized by fastboot, and the bootloader has already been unlocked succesfully using the Xiaomi unlocking tool. This has been checked using the 'fastboot oem device-info' command. The flashing seems to go fine, and the process finishes without any complaints, but in the end the stock recovery is still there on the phone. I've attached a screenshot of the fastboot commands and responses. I tried it with a laptop running Windows 10 and a computer running Windows 7, same result. Is there anybody who can help me?

For the record, this is everything I already have done with the phone. Maybe this will help to find the problem.
  • It came with the Chinese ROM installed, tried to flash the official global version using the 'updater' app, but I got the error 'Update couldn't be verified'. Tried several ROM's, also the developer ones. All not working.
  • Next I tried to unlock the phone, because than I could either flash the official Global ROM via fastboot or flash TWRP and flash the Xiaomi.eu ROM. With a laptop running Windows 10, the unlocking process stopped at 50% and gave a message that the device was not connected. No unknown devices could be found in the windows device manager. In the end, I was succesful using a computer running windows 7. The phone was finally unlocked!
  • Than it was time to try to flash TWRP using fastboot. With both the laptop running W10 and the computer running W7, I was unsuccesful. (see problem mentioned above)
  • At that point I (succesfully) flashed the latest official Global ROM using MiFlash and the phone in Download mode.
  • Still, I don't really like the official Global ROM, so I would like to install the Xiaomi.eu version. But than again I have the problem that the TWRP flashing using fastboot is unsuccesful.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,858
I had to flash TWRP thrice to get it to "stick". But, using the "fastboot.exe boot recovery.img" did get me into TWRP.
So, I would suggest rinse & repeat, because judging by you screenshot everything should be ok!

Another thing you could try (don't know if it's really needed, I've read dubious comments about it but I did it) is enable developers options, then enable OEM unlocking & enable USB debugingen before rebooting into fastboot mode.

I had to flash TWRP thrice to get it to "stick". But, using the "fastboot.exe boot recovery.img" did get me into TWRP.
So, I would suggest rinse & repeat, because judging by you screenshot everything should be ok!

Another thing you could try (don't know if it's really needed, I've read dubious comments about it but I did it) is enable developers options, then enable OEM unlocking & enable USB debugingen before rebooting into fastboot mode.

Thanks for your response! Right now I tried it already about 5 times, but still no TWRP. A while (10s or so) after the 'boot' fastboot command is given the phone reboots, but just to MIUI.

I just tried enabling OEM unlocking and USB debugging, no luck unfortunately! Same problem :|

Try renaming twrp.img to recovery.img; shouldn't really matter but you never know. When I was browsing guides, that was a step in some of them...
And you are using the correct TWRP version? I got mine (TRWP_land.zip) from the Xiaomi.eu repo on androidfilehost (check the weekly ROM topic, link is somewhere in each one).

Reactions: Jaime DLH
Try renaming twrp.img to recovery.img; shouldn't really matter but you never know. When I was browsing guides, that was a step in some of them...
And you are using the correct TWRP version? I got mine (TRWP_land.zip) from the Xiaomi.eu repo on androidfilehost (check the weekly ROM topic, link is somewhere in each one).

I also got mine from the Xiaomi.eu repo, so TWRP_land.zip indeed. I also tried flashing 'recovery.img' already, because earlier I've tried a batch file laying around in this forum for 'automatically' installing TWRP via fastboot (just a batch file with the 2 fastboot commands), and that one uses 'recovery.img'. As you can already guess, same result! I really don't understand what's going wrong.

search with google how to flash twrp and root redmi 3s and folow instruction from the first link,
or after flashing recovery use the command fastboot reboot recovery

search with google how to flash twrp and root redmi 3s and folow instruction from the first link,
or after flashing recovery use the command fastboot reboot recovery

I appreciate your input, but as you can see in my first post I've already done that. I tried the tool (simply a batch file) where you are refering to and I also used the command "fastboot reboot recovery". TWRP seems to install fine, but it doesn't work. See the screenshot I've attached to my first post.

Hi all,

I found a thread with someone having a similar problem:

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=146299&pid=2892650

He has a different phone (Redmi Note 2), but he also gets no errors while installing TWRP using fastboot, but in the end the original recovery is still there. In the end, he fixed it by installing a specific driver.

I tried all the drivers I could find on forums and the internet, but still no luck unfortunately. The default driver which is installed is 'Android Bootloader Interface Version: 11.0.0.0'. With this driver, the device is shown in device manager as 'Android Bootloader Interface' in 'Kedacom USB Device'. No fastboot connection can be made. Earlier, I already rolled back to the older driver (7.1.0.0). With this driver, the device is again shown as 'Android Bootloader Interface', but now under 'Android Phone'. Fastboot connection is possible with this driver.

Can anybody tell me which fastboot/adb driver for Windows 10 - 64bit can be used for the Xiaomi Redmi 3S? I Already tried some universal drivers and other drivers I was able to find on the web :)

Give this a try...after issuing the command fastboot boot recovery.img BEFORE pressing enter...press and hold the volume UP button and then press enter on the PC......
Thanks for you response! I just tried it, and it didn't work for me. But I have some new information which might help us. I only used the flash command, not the boot command this time. I booted manually into the recovery, and the first time I tried to boot in the recovery it rebooted after a while. This time, it went directly through to MIUI. When I tried to boot the phone in recovery for the second time, the phone booted to the original recovery again.

In the end it seems that there is flashed 'something', but it doesn't seem to stick. Tried to flash multiple times, no luck.

i encountered the same problem.
searched all possible means on the internet but in vain.
the original recovery still lingers out there, quite annoying.
really hope someone could solve this problem.

i encountered the same problem.
searched all possible means on the internet but in vain.
the original recovery still lingers out there, quite annoying.
really hope someone could solve this problem.

Yeah indeed, I really hope so. Untill then I'm afraid we will be stuck at the Global ROM. Have you already tried different drivers on different operating systems (e.g. Windows 7/XP)? As I posted earlier, a solution for similar problem but a different phone (Redmi Note 2) is proposed on this website: http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=146299&pid=2892650. I already tried it on Windows 10 and shortly on a pc running Windows 7, but right now I'm temporarely in China and only have my laptop running W10 by hand. Maybe you can try it?

to janjelmer1

as a matter of fact, i have been doing this on windows 7.
but it never worked out.
i think we have no choice but wait..
besides, i heard that xiaomi did lock the recovery intentionally for so called security, but haven't been proved.

Hey, I think i just find the solution, tell me if it's working for you :

I used this TWRP :

Use theses commands
(cd downloads)
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (the file you just downloaded)
DO NOT fastboot boot recovery.img
"fastboot reboot" HOLDING +/up bouton, chose 'recovery' -> Do you really wanna boot recovery mode ? 'yes'
TADA

Reactions: iamme729
Hey, I think i just find the solution, tell me if it's working for you :

I used this TWRP :

Use theses commands
(cd downloads)
"fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (the file you just downloaded)
DO NOT fastboot boot recovery.img
"fastboot reboot" HOLDING +/up bouton, chose 'recovery' -> Do you really wanna boot recovery mode ? 'yes'
TADA
Thanks for the tip! I don't know if I will try it, it was for my brothers phone and the global ROM is working fine for him.

Try to redownload it ... its possible that its corrupted, when running it you should try to do the process without the device first. Try to proceed to everystep without inserting the device into the usb until its stuck to the process where it cannot proceed due to no device was found thats the time you will need to insert the device in order to be read. Securing that it runs completely, because in my case i tried it and i can run the program without connecting it to usb. I discovered the program is broken. Hope this works...