Dead phone after turning off while instaling ROM / MiFlash doesn't see device / can't go FASTBOOT nor recovery

Neria

Members
Sep 29, 2019
Hello,
I was installing on my Xiaomi Mi 5x MIUI 10 by TWRP. Eveything was fine, but for some reason meanwhile phone just turned off. I was trying to go into FASTBOOT (vol - and pow) after connecting to PC but it only makes vibration and signal (black screen). Also tools like MiFlash don't see this device. All comands ends into "Waiting for the device". I have drivers installed on my PC, so I see Mi 5x after plug it in but it is just empty folder.
Please, can somebody help? I was searching for hours for the solution and nothing seems to help (everything requires PC cooperating with the phone... :/ ).

Reactions: DanyXD
Which version were you before upgrading ?

Upgrading from 8.11.1 to newer won't let the screen turn on even in fastboot or twrp.

It was 9.5 to 10.3.2 (if I remember correctly). Surley 9.x. Before that I updated TWRP becuase older version has some problems with installing Tiffany version.

You mean miui 9.5?

So the phone was one year late with updates?

After i applied the update of November 2018, my screen wasn't turning on at all, even the bootloader.

I had to enter fastboot blindly and after some trial miflash saw it and then I flashed the latest Chinese beta

Yes, I didn't update it since some time. What do you mean by "enter fastboot blindly and after some trial miflash saw it"? Just keeping trying vol - pow and wish for the best? Doesn't work for me :(

In the device manager in details it is said "Device USB\VID_2717&PID_FF40\b3b39be20404 requires further installation"

Last edited:
After many things I finally made MiFlash able to see my device. However, every time I got error "missmatching image and device". I already tried 3 different fastboot roms for Mi 5x and still get the same. Maybe someone has a good version or know solution to this...?

I mean the phone works, but for some reason the screen doesn't turn on at all since that particular update. You need to download the fastboot update file for mi flash, the one that ends with .tgz and once extracted contains .img files. Not the regular .zip to flash with twrp

Now they changed miui.com for miui11 and i can't find it, later i try to search

Edit: you need to flash this http://update.miui.com/updates/v1/fullromdownload.php?d=tiffany&b=F&r=cn&n= from here http://www.miui.com/shuaji-393.html

Once flashed that (don't choose flash and lock), you can safely reinstall twrp (latest with treble support) and xiaomi.eu any recent version

The problem is some encrypted value in the bootloader that can't be updated via twrp and only official update can do. If you kept official roms, at that time the update screen changed from "bunny fixing robot" to a more nicer percent status

Last edited:
Reactions: DanyXD and Neria
I am in the saame boat, and i cannot use the device anymore, the first link doesnt work, can you help me in this?

After many things I finally made MiFlash able to see my device. However, every time I got error "missmatching image and device". I already tried 3 different fastboot roms for Mi 5x and still get the same. Maybe someone has a good version or know solution to this...?

Hi Neria: What did you to your phone to able see on MiFlash?