[help] Fake Or Not ?

johndoug

Members
Sep 1, 2014
Hi there,

I bought a 32gb Mi2s online from merimobiles and received it today. First disapointment, the scratch code was already scratched (see pic). Then, the back cover was almost impossible to remove and the MI logo on it is ridiculously fake (see pic). After all of this, I was sure my Mi2s was a fake one, but I realized that I ordered a black version, so the phone could well be an authentic one, while the cover is FAKE (black Mi2S doesn't exist AFAIK). Also, there was a small piece of plastic (see pic) left under the battery and there was some additional apps (like Mikey) + a .3gpp accidental recording of dialing phone number sounds (weird). So one thing's for sure, it is clear that I got a refurbished phone. Not sure if it's a counterfeit though, hence my topic.

So I took a few pictures and tried to compare with various original Mi2S pictures I found on the web. The phone seems authentic but I'm not sure about this. It has the original MI-Recovery so it should be good , right ?

Note : I cannot check the IMEI on http://order.mi.com/service/imei because of the chinese Captcha.

Here are the pictures, thanks in advance for your help.

MI logo on back cover
CDDTfB6.jpg

scratch code already scratched
xrxK2uw.jpg

piece of plastic film on battery
1uF3473.jpg

84rqXb0.jpg

qQHIM0n.jpg

PuHjOwI.jpg

8ayrHO2.jpg

MI-Recovery working it seems...
DdNpnNP.jpg

MIUI version
fRfawvv.jpg

The phone were used just before getting shipped (recording and modifications from 4/29/2015)
HhZfUDW.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot ingbrzy. While I'm at it, what do you think about the scratch code ? It was already scratched when I received the parcel so I guess it's a refurbished phone. I know sellers sometimes open the package to install some apps and s**t on the phone but they wouldn't have scratch the code if it was new IMO.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot ingbrzy. While I'm at it, what do you think about the scratch code ? It was already scratched when I received the parcel so I guess it's a refurbished phone. I know sellers sometimes open the package to install some apps and s**t on the phone but they wouldn't have scratch the code if it was new IMO.

Thanks again.
yea its not a new device...

I bought a Rena3 tablet 5 years ago trough merimobiles and they checked the tablet and installed an english version of android and some apps if I recall but it was written on their website. Maybe it is the same thing happening, did you found third party apps, vidoes, pictures music, etc ?

I bought a Rena3 tablet 5 years ago trough merimobiles and they checked the tablet and installed an english version of android and some apps if I recall but it was written on their website. Maybe it is the same thing happening, did you found third party apps, vidoes, pictures music, etc ?
Yes, MiKey and a few other apps were preinstalled. What's bugging me is the scratch code. I'm going to ask merimobiles for a partial refund before opening a dispute with Paypal. I mean, the phone was supposed to be brand new. What do you guys think ?

Use the anti fake app to check your phone first, then ask to your seller about this issue, they should accept a partial refund but if they don't take responsibility about it you have to open a dispute of your money.

Thanks guys, just did it and MI Anti Fake app says the phone got purchased the 2015-01-07 so it indeed is a reconditioned phone. I'm going to ask a partial refund because of this + the fake back cover. How much would you ask for ? I'm thinking about 15 or 20% off for the trouble.

How much did it cost you?
$200
I would ask more.
Is almost a fraud, and the phone is 6 month old. This is unacceptable.
True but that being said, the phone is like new. I mean, if I ask too much, they will never accept and I'll have to open a Paypal dispute, send it back etc... 20% discount would make it $160 instead of $200, seems a fair price to me, no ?

So how much discount should I ask for ? What do you guys think ?

I got contacted by one of their team manager and he says he can only offer $30. I don't wanna push too far and I'm thinking of $40 out of the total cost ($197).

Your opinion on that matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In the end, they accepted to give a $40 discount. I guess I could have asked more but hey, still better than nothing.