How bad is a fake MI2, anyway?

Tiltowait

Members
Oct 10, 2013
I'm just asking because I have the opportunity to get a fake MI2 from Taobao for less than 600 yuan ($95 USD). How bad are these fake phones? What's wrong with them? Do they break after a month, does the battery last 2 hours, do they give you electric shocks, etc. I know the firmware won't work with Xiaomi's custom services but I don't care about that.

If you will find any bug on that phone, you will have to learn live with it... Because there is no chance to get any update or alternative rom... And.. Battery can explode to your face of course... Or just burn your house... :)

~Tapatalk 4~

Reactions: Tiltowait
So, the list goes:

1) Can't install any alternative ROM
2) Can't receive official updates to MIUI
3) ?

You don't know the quality of any of the components.

Plus for that price you can get other second hand phones

Enviado desde mi MI 2S usando Tapatalk

The fake MI2 isn't secondhand, though, it's new. I couldn't find anyone selling secondhand MI2s on Taobao. That's how I found these in the first place.

The price was less than 600 and there were several dealers at that price. Anyone selling at this price point is fake. The question isn't is it fake or not, the question is it worth 600 yuan? Heck, even if I wanted to buy a legitimate Android phone for 600, I couldn't find one. I'm just curious because it's one thing to sell a fake M2 to an overseas buyer for $300, it's another thing to pick one up locally for cheap.

The last time i bought a fake motorola, lasted for 3 days. The last time i bought fake iphone.. lasted for an hour before i totally screw the phone up just to insert my sim card. Not saying the fake MI2S is that bad but uncertain problems will prone to happen sooner or later. I wouldn't trust all these imitation devices. I suppose their target is to sell as much as possible then move on to a next imitation.

The fake MI2 isn't secondhand, though, it's new. I couldn't find anyone selling secondhand MI2s on Taobao. That's how I found these in the first place.

The price was less than 600 and there were several dealers at that price. Anyone selling at this price point is fake. The question isn't is it fake or not, the question is it worth 600 yuan? Heck, even if I wanted to buy a legitimate Android phone for 600, I couldn't find one. I'm just curious because it's one thing to sell a fake M2 to an overseas buyer for $300, it's another thing to pick one up locally for cheap.
You would be OK I doubt it would explode. Just don't use junk cables and chargers. You won't get any updates though and your stuck the way it came.
Maybe save up for the wcdma hongmi should go for $200.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 4

I'd never buy a smartphone for $100. You get what you pay for.

Sent from my Xiaomi MI2S