How to install Magisk on Mi 11 Ultra WITH TWRP (MIUI 14)

Step666

Members
Dec 27, 2016
Hey everyone

In my quest to get gestures working on 3rd party launchers, I've come to the conclusion that I need to use Magisk - the adb commands to hide the navbar haven't worked for me, which makes me reluctant to buy the lADB app in case that doesn't work, not to mention I'd rather have a more permanent solution than having to mess with commands every time I reboot

So the only other solution I've seen mentioned is Magisk, I had initially hoped to avoid rooting to ensure as many apps work ok but I can see I'll have to compromise on that
But my next issue is that every guide I've seen for installing Magisk on the Mi 11 Ultra is for phones that don't have TWRP, which isn't applicable for me as I do have TWRP installed
Does anyone have a guide for installing Magisk on a Mi 11 Ultra with TWRP? I've looked for more general guidea but there's a lot of stuff about patching bootloaders and stuff about the A/B partitions and I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a more tailored guide to avoid screwing anything up

Also, on a separate note, all the guides for using full screen geatures with 3rd party launchers have a list of things you need to do for the geature app to esnure it stays running - accessibility permissions, autorun etc
I've been able to sort all of them, except the part where it tells you to press and hold on the app and 'lock' it, except with the stable MIUI 14 ROM, when I press and hold I don't seem to have the option to lock it

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd appreciate any help

On the off-chance anyone ends up finding this while searching for the same solution
DO NOT try and follow the non-TWRP method if you have TWRP - patching the bootloader does not work/did not work for me anyway

I ended up having to use Fastboot to boot into TWRP (couldn't get the phone to boot into Recovery itself)
From there I re-flashed the Xiaomi.eu MIUI 14 ROM and thankfully managed to get my phone up and running again

I had to Google a Magisk 25.2 flashable zip file (which I found here) and flash that with TWRP, as it doesn't seem to be downloadable from the Magisk github page
That worked fine and I've now been able to install a Magisk module to hide the navbar

Still having problems with not being able to lock the app and FNG being stopped/closed by the OS
To get it back up and running, I've found it's necessary to disable FNG, remove the accessibility permission, re-activate the permission then re-enable FNG again

Reactions: jhol_pd
On the off-chance anyone ends up finding this while searching for the same solution
DO NOT try and follow the non-TWRP method if you have TWRP - patching the bootloader does not work/did not work for me anyway

I ended up having to use Fastboot to boot into TWRP (couldn't get the phone to boot into Recovery itself)
From there I re-flashed the Xiaomi.eu MIUI 14 ROM and thankfully managed to get my phone up and running again

I had to Google a Magisk 25.2 flashable zip file (which I found here) and flash that with TWRP, as it doesn't seem to be downloadable from the Magisk github page
That worked fine and I've now been able to install a Magisk module to hide the navbar

Still having problems with not being able to lock the app and FNG being stopped/closed by the OS
To get it back up and running, I've found it's necessary to disable FNG, remove the accessibility permission, re-activate the permission then re-enable FNG again
Thanks dude, it's work for me :V

Bump for the same problem. Since /boot & /recovery are apparently now in the same partition, I can't flash an older (not useless) version of Magisk. If I flash Magisk, it overwrites the partition and TWRP is gone, and vice versa.