Tutorial How To Update/upgrade Miui?

Hello Community :) I have a question about updating my Mi4

Let's start with some info:
I have a Mi 4LTE-CU which is currently on MIUI 5.4.24 Beta

Now i want to update my Mi4 to the latest stable global ROM:

Version: V8.1.4.0.MXDMIDI (MIUI8)

using one of the methods showed in the flashing guide. I haven't decided yet if it is going to be the System, Recovery or Fastboot method.

My question then ;-) Is this even possible? Can i go directly from MIUI 5.4.24 Beta to the latest stable ROM? Or am i missing some steps to successfully update my phone?

Thanks in advance.

PS, i'm dutch so anyone who speaks dutch as well is welcome to answer me in my own language.

i don't want to update miui till a problem solve can someone tell how to disable ota completely

I'm running xiaomi.eu MIUI 9.1 ROM installed with TWRP. Now I want to update to 9.5.

I've read the instructions on the ROMS DOWNLOAD page of how to install. Go to Recovery, go to Install, select zip file, Reboot... But should I go through same steps just for updating, as when for installing fresh system?

What are there steps for updating with TWRP recovery?
Will the update leave my apps and settings intact?

I browsed in forum search for this but there are no suitable explanations.

Much appreciate your work.

Download zip, go to Updater - menu - select installation zip - done

I'm running xiaomi.eu MIUI 9.1 ROM installed with TWRP. Now I want to update to 9.5.

I've read the instructions on the ROMS DOWNLOAD page of how to install. Go to Recovery, go to Install, select zip file, Reboot... But should I go through same steps just for updating, as when for installing fresh system?

What are there steps for updating with TWRP recovery?
Will the update leave my apps and settings intact?

I browsed in forum search for this but there are no suitable explanations.

Much appreciate your work.

Your apps and settings will be fine after updating. The only thing you will need to do is reflash Magisk since it needs to patch the boot image in order to work correctly.

Download zip, go to Updater - menu - select installation zip - done
Where can I find that updater? The only updater in settings that I have is System apps updater. Nothing else. And I can't open it when I press on it. NO response. So, The only option now is TWRP. Can you give some steps how to update?

Where can I find that updater? The only updater in settings that I have is System apps updater. Nothing else. And I can't open it when I press on it. NO response. So, The only option now is TWRP. Can you give some steps how to update?

The Updater app should be in your apps somewhere unless you uninstalled it somehow.

It's literally called Updater lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-01-05-31-24-343_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-01-05-31-24-343_com.teslacoilsw.launcher.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 281
Your apps and settings will be fine after updating. The only thing you will need to do is reflash Magisk since it needs to patch the boot image in order to work correctly.

Can you elaborate on the whole procedure please? I haven't used Magisk before.

The Updater app should be in your apps somewhere unless you uninstalled it somehow.

It's literally called Updater lol

DUH! Ha ha. Thanks! I found it. What's with this Magisk thing? I don't have it.
Ingbrzy didn't mention it either.

I have xiaomi.eu ROM 9.1 (7.11.2 beta). I want to update to newer one 9.5.

Since you already have a Xiaomi.eu ROM installed you should just download the latest Xiaomi.eu ROM for your phone onto your phone directly and then use the Updater app.

Here's how you do this:

1. Download the latest Xiaomi.eu ROM for your phone onto your phone.
2. Once the ROM is downloaded and on your phone, open the Updater app and tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
3. Select "Choose update package" and select the ROM that you just uploaded.
4. The Updater package will reboot your phone into Recovery mode, update the ROM and then reboot your phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-01-05-59-48-028_pl.zdunex25.updater.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-01-05-59-48-028_pl.zdunex25.updater.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: Tanero
DUH! Ha ha. Thanks! I found it. What's with this Magisk thing? I don't have it.
Ingbrzy didn't mention it either.

This XDA post will explain what Magisk is if you want the full details:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

In short, Magisk is what allows you to root your phone and fool certain applications, such as Google Pay, into thinking that your phone is not rooted and has a locked bootloader since apps such as Google Pay or other banking apps will not work correctly on rooted phones with an unlocked bootloader.

In that XDA post you have a link to the latest stable version of Magisk (don't worry about the Magisk Manager in that post as that comes with Magisk). You download that zip file onto your phone, reboot to Recovery (you can use the Updater tool to reboot your phone into Recovery mode), install the Magisk zip file, and when you boot back into your phone you will have the Magisk Manager application in your app drawer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tanero
This XDA will explain what Magisk is if you want the full details:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445

In short, Magisk is what allows you to root your phone and fool certain applications, such as Google Pay, into thinking that your phone is not rooted and has a locked bootloader since apps such as Google Pay or other banking apps will not work correctly on rooted phones with an unlocked bootloader.

In that XDA post you have a link to the latest stable version of Magisk (don't worry about the Magisk Manager in that post as that comes with Magisk). You download that zip file onto your phone, reboot to Recovery (you can use the Updater tool to reboot your phone into Recovery mode), install the Magisk zip file, and when you boot back into your phone you will have the Magisk Manager application in your app drawer.

Slyscorpion, this is so helpful! Thanks a lot! My Google Play and other apps never complained about the phone havinng unlocked bootloader and having root.

Hey, thanks for the tips! I updated without a problem. All is good. Just some apps dissapeared for no reason, like Baidu Maps, Chinese Keyboard, taxi service DiDi.

Can you reinstall those apps? If you had them before you should be able to reinstall them ;)