Lets say to Xiaomi: We want USB MASS STORAGE mode back !

Do you want USB MASS STORAGE mode back ?

• Total voters

Stan Tody

Members
Oct 7, 2013
Hi to all Xiaomi Mi2(s) owners !

I am a newcommer to your community.
I just bought a Xiaomi Mi2S and realized that this otherwise exeptional smartphone does NOT have a USB mass storage mode, when it's connected to PC.

My previous phones ware HTC and Samsung, and they always have had this USB mode - even after version 4.x оf Android.

So, if someone think that USB MASS STORAGE mode is A MUST, please, VOTE !

While I share your opinion, only Linux users would benefit from that on MI2 as the SD partition is ext4 formatted.

Windows can't read that filesystem...

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 4

No it is not. The speed is terrible in comparison to normal mass storage.

Reactions: manohar
I recently lost SD indexing due to MTP failure with win 8.1 and lost all data, took hours to get all back.
It seems unreliable with folders that have many contents on windows, not sure about linux and mac...

If u install clockworkmod from this forum it allows Mass mode on boot i think.

Install latest 13.04 Ubuntu. Plug the MI2 to USB. Done. Device connected at full speed.

Reactions: dextructor
I used my mi one as a usb stick for my mp3 car radio and now it doesnt work anymore... Speed is also terrible. Yes for old mass storage!

Xiaomi has nothing todo with missing mass storage mode.
Google doesn't like it anymore because they want to see MTP everywhere.
the reason is easy: one partition for both protected app data and "sdcard" space.

Mass Storage is still supported by Android but we can't use it because we don't have a real sdcard.
Even if we would reformat the partition to vfat(fat32) for windows compatibility we couldn't easily enable mass storage mode.
We would need to share the whole nand(we can just share whole devices and not single partitions) which is dangerous and can cause problems. for example I've tried that in ubuntu while automount is enabled. Believe me - mounting 27 partitions same time is not fun...

First let them release the Kernel Source Code !
After becoming so famous & earn Billions , can we expect them to listen to our outcry & voices ?
I hope they wouldn't mind such requests...
They do what they want to do & they don't bother what you ask them to do ! Its a fact...

Last edited:
I think that's a shame that a linux based device (your phone) cannot communicate correctly with another linux based device (your pc) because it's using a microsoft transfer protocol...

Sad reality. But yeah if mass storage would be a possibility I would be all for it.

İ could solve roblem with otg cable and usb flash drive

Discovery cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

I think that's a shame that a linux based device (your phone) cannot communicate correctly with another linux based device (your pc) because it's using a microsoft transfer protocol...
Linux does support MTP...

Well, it would also be a shame to use mass storage and Microsoft file system, wouldn't it?

And if FAT wouldn't be used, we'd get deaf from angry screaming of all windows users...

By the way, I usually use rsync over wifi to avoid problems with MTP stability. Not the fastest, but quite convenient for backup, photo and music sync'ing.

Sent from TapaPlaudern on Mi2S

Linux does support MTP...
Yes I know it supports it (I use it myself). But, in my opinion, it is not as fast and reliable as mass storage in linux.

Well, it would also be a shame to use mass storage and Microsoft file system, wouldn't it?

And if FAT wouldn't be used, we'd get deaf from angry screaming of all windows users...

By the way, I usually use rsync over wifi to avoid problems with MTP stability. Not the fastest, but quite convenient for backup, photo and music sync'ing.

I completely agree with you, that also would be a shame :p. No seriously, I shouldn't have presented it that way, my bad...
However I must say I prefered the old solution when there was a FAT partition for user files. I think FAT is better implemented in linux than mtp is (at least for the moment...).

I'll have to take a look at rsync :)

Yes I know it supports it (I use it myself). But, in my opinion, it is not as fast and reliable as mass storage in linux.
How do u use MTP? All the hacks to got mtp working on old distros are really unreliable and slow as u said.
But since Ubuntu 13.04 MTP is supported by default and it's extremely fast. I don't know about other distros.

I can also confirm that MTP in Ubuntu is used with the fastest possible speed. 300MB rom can be copied to MI2 under 15 seconds.

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 7

How do u use MTP? All the hacks to got mtp working on old distros are really unreliable and slow as u said.
But since Ubuntu 13.04 MTP is supported by default and it's extremely fast. I don't know about other distros.
I'm using gentoo linux and jmtpfs for MTP support (which is based on FUSE and libmtp) : http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs-exchanging-files-between-android-devices-and-linux/
I just found out about go-mtpfs. I will give it a try.

EDIT : go-mtpfs works like a charm !

Last edited:
MTP works just fine here in Kubuntu 13.04, after installing certain packages. It loses sync when doing multiple operation, though. Especially with deletion.

The biggest problem i see with mtp is folder content synchronization and speed.

Especially with files that were created on Android itself.

Android doesn't see them as a file system change and thus doesn't update the file list.

Even reboots don't change a thing about that.

I face that problem, too. Isn't there a way to manually force refresh of media content?

Arch linux, KDE: I lose MTP sync when screen locks. Also cannot create a new directory in top root. Haven't looked into deals details though, since I do not use it much.