New [Lisa / Xiaomi 11 Lite 5G NE] Camera app not using precise location anymore

Slaay

Members
Jun 3, 2017
Since MIUI 14 stable the Camera app doesn't add the precise location to my pictures (except when being at home and using Wi-Fi).
Most of the time the geotagged location is about 100 till 500 meters from the real location.
Things I've already tried to fix the problem:
- Restart the phone
- Cleared all settings from the Camera app (version 4.5.002350.2)
- Settings - Location - Location services - Precise location Google - On
- Camera app - Settings - Permissions - Location info - precise location (GPS and network based) - On + allowed when the app is in use
- After the recent update MIUI 14.06 the problem still exists
- Used another camera app from the Google Play Store - no problem to get the precise location

Is there another way to fix the problem geotagging pictures with the precise location? Or is this some new 'feature' to prevent precise location to your pictures?

Reactions: poslete
Mi 11 ultra - stable 14.0.9.0
Same exact problem!
Mi 11T pro - stable 14.0.3.0
Same exact problem!

How to solve?
An app that uses the camera like the original with wide angle and macro, I don't think it exists

Controlla i dettagli

108 / 5.000

Risultati della traduzione​

Risultato di traduzione​

How to solve? An app that uses the camera like the original with wide angle and macro, I don't think it exists

Since MIUI 14 stable the Camera app doesn't add the precise location to my pictures (except when being at home and using Wi-Fi).
Most of the time the geotagged location is about 100 till 500 meters from the real location
- same or similar problem with Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro, MIUI Global 14.0.3, Android 12: instead of adding a precise location to the photo, that is a location of the standpoint of where you took a photo, it looks like it connects to some map, probably Google Maps, and adds the nearest address instead.
Xiaomi Support is absolutelly useless on soving that problem, or at least understanding it, they play dumm: first reply was how to improve GPS accuracy, the second answer was how to reinstall the phone's system, the third answer was about watermarks in pictures.
There's nothing wrong with phone's GPS: testing with other apps, GPS works just fine, adding a location or adding a pinpoint works just fine.
The problem is the Camera app, who, instead of adding a location of the standpoint, goes to some map and adds the nearest address of your standpoint. Some software engineer wanted to be smart, but instead made it completelly useless. If they would at least offer a choice: do you want to add a location of a standpoint, or a location of the nearest address.
If "Settings -> Location -> Location services -> Google Location Accuracy" is set to OFF, then the Camera app doesn't save any location.

50.jpg

Last edited:
- same or similar problem with Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro, MIUI Global 14.0.3, Android 12: instead of adding a precise location to the photo, that is a location of the standpoint of where you took a photo, it looks like it connects to some map, probably Google Maps, and adds the nearest address instead.
Xiaomi Support is absolutelly useless on soving that problem, or at least understanding it, they play dumm: first reply was how to improve GPS accuracy, the second answer was how to reinstall the phone's system, the third answer was about watermarks in pictures.
There's nothing wrong with phone's GPS: testing with other apps, GPS works just fine, adding a location or adding a pinpoint works just fine.
The problem is the Camera app, who, instead of adding a location of the standpoint, goes to some map and adds the nearest address of your standpoint. Some software engineer wanted to be smart, but instead made it completelly useless. If they would at least offer a choice: do you want to add a location of a standpoint, or a location of the nearest address.
If "Settings -> Location -> Location services -> Google Location Accuracy" is set to OFF, then the Camera app doesn't save any location.

View attachment 49367
In the end, the problem with the camera app is due to the fact that after opening the app, geolocation is activated for a very short time and then deactivated and does not have time to take the precise position. This can be seen by holding the status bar down and opening the app.
The other third-party camera apps, however, keep the geolocation open and so the position is precise. I hope for a correction in the next MIUI update even if, I read, someone has the same problem with MIUI 14.0.9.0 with another phone and I'm still on 14.0.4.0 stable with my Xiaomi 11T Pro.

with a big help from this post , I kinda solved or worked arround the problem:

1. Settings -> Location -> Location services -> Google Location Accuracy -> OFF;
2. start an app that demands location all the time; I'm using GPS Logger.

The address that Gallery shows, is still way off the real location, but if you click on that address, then the memorized coordinates are of the best accuracy that phone is capable of, that is +/- 3 meters at free view in a clear sky.

An unwanted side effect is that there is no geotag if you take a photo inside a building; probably because of "Google Location Accuracy -> OFF" doesn't scan Wifi and stuff, only satellites?

And it's amazing how Xiaomi technical support was absolutelly useless on solving this problem.
_

how do you do that? Any screen-recorder video?
The server won't let me send videos, I made a screen recorder by trying to zip the file but it tells me it's too big anyway, however it's easy to see, just open the camera app and immediately lower the status bar above, you will see that with the original app the geolocation symbol lights up for a few tenths of a second, while with other third-party apps it always stays on. I too had solved the problem with an app that kept geolocation open in the background, ( GEO Tracker ) or keeping my smart band app open in walk mode, but it's still annoying every time I open another app, keeping it open drains the battery much faster

with a big help from this post , I kinda solved or worked arround the problem:

1. Settings -> Location -> Location services -> Google Location Accuracy -> OFF;
2. start an app that demands location all the time; I'm using GPS Logger.

The address that Gallery shows, is still way off the real location, but if you click on that address, then the memorized coordinates are of the best accuracy that phone is capable of, that is +/- 3 meters at free view in a clear sky.

An unwanted side effect is that there is no geotag if you take a photo inside a building; probably because of "Google Location Accuracy -> OFF" doesn't scan Wifi and stuff, only satellites?

And it's amazing how Xiaomi technical support was absolutelly useless on solving this problem.
_
However, I have everything set to maximum precision, A-GPS enabled and with this system on my phone the position is precise