Mi4 Lte Ramdom Reboots [with Logs]

It's so weird how totally random these reboots are for different people. For example I get quite a lot of them while others get very little and after many hours of uptime. Makes you wonder what causes them from which apps are installed/running to different network types and frequencies, since there's no confirmed reboot without sim card I'm thinking this is a high possibility.

I'm now trying different build.prop settings, compared to old KK's build.prop there are quite a few differences. I'm systematically turning stuff on and off in build.prop one by one to see if anything makes a difference. But so far unsuccessful. :/

I did notice that after wiping cache and dalvik cache it takes longer for a reboot to happen so I'm still not ruling out the possibility that it could be cache partition related.
Hi, I haven't been able to find the time to create the error logs, but mine seems to reboot regardless of wakelock app.

The important thing is, it reboots a lot more often at home when I'm connected to my house 5ghz wifi regardless of game usage or just left alone without running an app.

Wonder if anyone with the resources/skill/know-how can go look into the wifi related configurations? I'm using Mi4 LTE 16GB originally running China Stable MIUI, then Windows Phone 10 (NO reboot but slow UI), then China/Global Stable/Dev MIUI 8 ROMs and xiaomi.eu stable and 6.9.22 before giving up and fastboot flashing MIUI Global Stable 8.0.2.0

If anyone's interested I never had a single reboot with the Cyanogenmod official rom. What I did was to flash a MIUI 7 with an old KK persist.img, then wiped all, flashed Cyanogenmod, google apps and SuperSU. Then I switched CPU governor to "conservative" since the "interactive" governor, used with high demand cpu apps, tend to make the CPU overheat (89 degrees) and makes the phone reboot.

If anyone wants to know more please just ask.

Got reboot at 125h, removed mpdecision, i am now at 115h.
+300 hr. 6.9.15. with mpdecision removed + thermal-engine tweak

59fa17ada44bf5ecb85d14833dd1219f.jpg

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: jc rey
Any update on 6.9.29 regarding the reboots?
Hi I'm using the Global Rom.

After flashing fastboot (flash all full wipe) no reboots. But I have switched to 2.4ghz wifi instead of 5ghz.

Anyone who has both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi can you try and see if we share the same problem? Ever since I stopped using my home's 5ghz wifi I have not had a single reboot. I've always clean installed various rom versions with fastboot so that is not a issue.

EDIT: Also want to add that when I was on 5ghz wifi, mpdecision and Wakelock app DID NOT prevent reboots. Only discovered the difference when I was on campus 2.4ghz wifi and noticing my phone rebooted much less.....

Last edited by a moderator:

After flashing fastboot (flash all full wipe) no reboots. But I have switched to 2.4ghz wifi instead of 5ghz.

Anyone who has both 2.4 and 5ghz wifi can you try and see if we share the same problem? Ever since I stopped using my home's 5ghz wifi I have not had a single reboot. I've always clean installed various rom versions with fastboot so that is not a issue.
ok let me try your workaround bro.

EDIT: Also want to add that when I was on 5ghz wifi, mpdecision and Wakelock app DID NOT prevent reboots. Only discovered the difference when I was on campus 2.4ghz wifi and noticing my phone rebooted much less.....

Reboots occur even when not connected to Wi-Fi, so that's not the thing.

Don't want to be too optimistic but I'm getting good results with my latest test, reached over 100 hrs. In build.prop I disabled the cne module (it's also disabled in KK btw).
If someone's interested in testing edit your build.prop find parameter "persist.cne.feature=1" and set it to "0". You can do this via adb or twrp or if you're rooted with some editor or whatever method you prefer. Make sure you wipe cache and dalvik cache (these two is sufficient) and reboot. Don't worry no settings get messed up only maybe custom theme if you're using one.

Personally I don't see a difference with it turned off.

Cne is a qualcomm feature for offloading wifi and seamless switching between network and wifi. So in a sense it could be related to what's happening here. https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2...nging-smarts-3g4g-wi-fi-seamless-interworking

There are also some interesting conspiracies out there for fun reading :) http://androidforums.com/threads/boost-mobile-i-smell-a-rat.615768/

Last edited:
Reboots occur even when not connected to Wi-Fi, so that's not the thing.
Hmm this is confusing as even with Wakelock and connected to 5ghz wifi I keep rebooting but now I haven't had issues since using 2.4 permanently.

Maybe before reinstalling your xiaomi.eu rom via recovery try a full fastboot flash wipe using MiFlash and the MIUI 8 Global Dev Rom? I used this from http://xiaomitips.com/guide/unlock-redmi-note-3-bootloader-without-official-permission/ but ignored the parts not relevant to the Mi 4.
Configuring-Fastboot-Flashing.jpg

Now make sure you have following settings :
  • Choose flash_all.bat file in the Fastboot Script.
  • Choose prog_emmc_firehose_8976_ddr.mbn file in the Flash Programmer.
  • Choose rawprogram0.xml in the Raw XML File.
  • Choose patch0.xml in the Patch XML File.

That's basically just emergency mode flashing. The .xml files contain paths and byte sectors and other info for all the images. We've tried this before many posts back sadly didn't help. I've even tried manually erasing all partitions via adb shell rebooting phone and going completley blank and flashing manually, it's all the same result.

If you're not testing anything else please give my method a try. I'd like some co-testers.

That's basically just emergency mode flashing. The .xml files contain paths and byte sectors and other info for all the images. We've tried this before many posts back sadly didn't help. I've even tried manually erasing all partitions via adb shell rebooting phone and going completley blank and flashing manually, it's all the same result.

If you're not testing anything else please give my method a try. I'd like some co-testers.
I'll keep you posted if I try... Currently stopped needing to root my phone as I only needed for OTG last time (which I've gotten rid of and moved to a DAP for music)

No need to root though. You can do it many ways. If you have adb drivers installed then boot to twrp:
- go to mount option and mount system,
- plug phone to pc,
- open command prompt, type "adb pull /system/build.prop c:\" (this will download the build.prop from phone to c:\ or wherever),
- edit the file with notepad++ (or some other editor that keeps file format) change the line and save,
- then type "adb push c:\build.prop /system/" (this will upload file to phone),
- then in twrp go to advanced wipe and choose cache & dalvik cache only and reboot.
Thats all there is.

And if you already have the same build.prop from the rom that's already on your phone you can just edit that build.prop and upload it, it will overwrite anyway.

No need to root though. You can do it many ways. If you have adb drivers installed then boot to twrp:
- go to mount option and mount system,
- plug phone to pc,
- open command prompt, type "adb pull /system/build.prop c:\" (this will download the build.prop from phone to c:\ or wherever),
- edit the file with notepad++ (or some other editor that keeps file format) change the line and save,
- then type "adb push c:\build.prop /system/" (this will upload file to phone),
- then in twrp go to advanced wipe and choose cache & dalvik cache only and reboot.
Thats all there is.

And if you already have the same build.prop from the rom that's already on your phone you can just edit that build.prop and upload it, it will overwrite anyway.

Oh I see thanks for the guide, in the meantime just to let you compare this is stock build.prop unedited from MIUI 8 6.10.13

Attachments

• buildprop.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 684
Hi, thank you very much for all the solution approaches. I'm using for my Mi4 the Weekly ROM Releases from here: https :// xiaomi.eu/ community/ forums/ miui-weekly-rom-releases.103/

I had approximately two or three times a day a random reboot, very annoying! After I'm using the 'Wake Lock - PowerManager' App with 'partial_wake_lock' setting I had no reboots! At the moment for more than 317 hours. Check the attached figure. Hopefully this helps someone.

Attachments

• IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 292
@gemmoglock There are some minor differences to Miui 7.5 but all in all reboots still remain with 8. You can see the persist.cne.feature=1 parameter is there just change that to 0. I'm now over 120hrs with this feature turned off, never had this much uptime before tbh. Getting cautiously optimistic. :)

I really hope some of you can join me in this test to see if there's something to this.

Last edited:
I'm now over 160 hrs with cne feature turned off. I hope someone can join me in testing to confirm it's not an isolated incidence.
Guide me bro, please.

//Solution about switching 2.4ghz wifi did not work as well, my fone has juz rebooted after 2 day running.

On my Mi4 LTE 3/16GB it happened following thing (fortunately not so annoying):
Last 3 updates I made (6.9.15 / 6.9.22 and now 6.10.13 dev by xiaomi.eu).. Every time I update rom, after about 12/24h I have a single random reboot.. So in total 3 random reboots.. And after this everything is ok..
I hope the situation does not worsen..

< Mi4 LTE 3/16 gb >

running now with persist.cne=0 on global beta 6.10.18 ....
I see only 2 cores are working, will see how it affects battery.
Ok good test, we can see if reboot happens with mpdecision and cne off.

Did you clear cache and dalvik after editing the build.prop? It's important so
apk dependencies get rebuilt.