New Mi4 W Refocus Does Not Work In Miui8 [solved]

Magicnet2

Members
Jan 9, 2017
Hi, I have just bought a MI4 W, exactly because I wanted to use the refocus option on the camera and it doesn't work. I have been trying to do this for hours now and the option simply does not exist in MIUI8. I'm running MI4 W, Android 6.0.1 MMB29M, MIUI 8.1.3.0(MXDCNDI) And it simply doesn't work. The camera shows the option to use refocus, takes a picture when I tell it to, but then when I go to the gallery, it doesn't allow to refocus. When I touch the screen anywhere in any way (long press or just a touch) it just shows or hides the menu with the edit and delete buttons. Plus the pictures taken with the refocus option look extremely blurry when viewed in the gallery.

I have researched this on this and other forums and have found out, that the problem is most probably the MIUI 8. Every single post that says that this option doesn't work says that it stopped working right after upgrading to the MIUI8. So please let me know how I can either force it to work by some workaround, or how I can downgrade to earlier MIUI version, that is guaranteed to work.

Last edited:
So I have researched this further and for the moment it seems that MIUI 8 simply can't use the function. I have tried flashing various versions of the MIUI8 - I had the 8.1.3 - function is there, but doesn't work in the gallery as described before; 8.1.6 - same issue, finction exists, but doesn't work; MIUI8.6.0 - function isn't even in the camera menu at all. I wanted to try to flash older MIUI7, but aparently I was stupid, cause I managed to get my phone stuck on the MI logo at the beginning and it kept loading and did nothing. I tried just using a MIUI7 rom through the update menu in the phone itself and it caused the problem, so I will have to be more careful here. I will try reflashing it through fastboot so hopefully I'll get it to run, to confirm if it is a problem only in MIUI8 or not. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

is absolutely not true .. I have a miui 8.0.2 the first stable and the autofocus works well, so do not know which version you were using, could also be a hardware problem, especially if you do not from the function as if there he was, sure it's an original xiaomi? from some place did you get? trying to install via miflash - fastboot a global weekly rom and see what came about, ah, and remember wipe all data

So, I have confirmed, that MIUI8 with Android 6 is the problem. Flashed MIUI7.1.2 with Android 4.4 and both the refocus and the 120 fps recording now work perfectly. Later today I will reflash again, this time the MIUI7 version 6.13.17, which is based on Android 6, to find out, whether this is a problem of Android 6, or just the MIUI 8. Will report later today. Great Success :)

is absolutely not true .. I have a miui 8.0.2 the first stable and the autofocus works well, so do not know which version you were using, could also be a hardware problem, especially if you do not from the function as if there he was, sure it's an original xiaomi? from some place did you get? trying to install via miflash - fastboot a global weekly rom and see what came about, ah, and remember wipe all data
Please read what I wrote. I'm not talking about the autofocus. I am talking about the "REFOCUS" option. That is the function, that lets you make a picture and then later change focus, when IN THE GALLERY, not while taking the picture. Also the 120 fps recording didn't work so far with the MIUI8.

Ok, so I have definitely solved the problem and my original thought ended up right. So I downloaded the MIUI 7 Global 6.3.17 Beta from http://www.androidsage.com/2016/03/...d-6-0-marshmallow-update-xiaomi-mi4-mi3-note/ based already on Android 6.0.1, flashed using fastboot and MiFlash tool Beta and the result is exactly as hoped. The interface looks almost exactly the same, as with MIUI 8, cause it's the same Android version, AND both mentioned camera functions seem to work correctly. The "Refocus" function works perfectly, and the 120 fps recording seems to work, but it's hard to test at night.

So final thoughts - I managed to get into a pickle twice, when I flashed a recovery rom via "update.zip" from within android, while changing not only the MIUI version, but also Android version. It always restarts right after, without wiping any data (cache, memory...) and ends up in bootloop and stuck on MI logo. At that point the only solution is to flash through fastboot, so you need to have the correct fastboot rom. In MiFlash tool select to clear all, flash the rom, and it will be fine.

PROBLEM SOLVED

strange I just tried to refocus function works perfectly in xiaomi mi4 miui 8.0.2 maybe you just needed a wipe with a clean install to solve the problem

I can not understand why you restore dop ends in bootloop, you know that to go from a stable to dev and vice versa takes a wipe all data bootloop otherwise.

I can not understand why you restore dop ends in bootloop, you know that to go from a stable to dev and vice versa takes a wipe all data bootloop otherwise.
Yeah, it makes sense, I just didn't realize it the first time. The second time was more of an experiment to try to confirm, that it was the data wipe that did it.

strange I just tried to refocus function works perfectly in xiaomi mi4 miui 8.0.2 maybe you just needed a wipe with a clean install to solve the problem
Interesting. I may try the 8.0.2 version later on. When I got it, it was on the 8.1.3, and since then I have tried only later versions.

I understand .. in fact I was planning to upgrade to 8.1.3 I hope not to have problems, even if the refocus mode I've never used.

I understand .. in fact I was planning to upgrade to 8.1.3 I hope not to have problems, even if the refocus mode I've never used.
Yeah, if you can, try it out. I'm running the miui 7 based on android 6 and i'm very satisfied. Everything looks and works perfectly.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk