Mi5 Screen Done For ? Known Issue ?

mediaklan

Members
Aug 24, 2013
So today I woke up early, switch off my alarm and put my phone in my pocket for an hour. This is what I get now on the screen no matter what I try :
2017-02-08-113306.jpg

The thing is, the phone is working. I can hear login sound, notifications, smart bracelet linked (meaning the bluetooth is on) etc etc etc. But I can't get anything else than random colors on the screen. Recovery mode or rebooting is not doing anything than display these random colors.
So, did you ever heard or see anything like this please ? Am I right to (painfully ...) consider the screen absolutely dead ?

Hi!

Just to check, can you try to reboot into fastboot or recovery mode, to check if the screen problem is still there? If it's a hardware problem (which I think it is) it should be present no matter which mode you boot.

Also, what ROM are you currently using?

I'm no hardware expert, but could it be a loose connector/ribbon? Perhaps the whole screen isn't dead...

Latest rom here, xiaomi.eu_multi_MI5_7.1.20_v8-7.0.
Yep, as mentionned, recovery (TWRP) or rebooting will only produce more random colors. At least I can save some things, for some reason, Fedora will only let me access internal storage from TWRP now (it's quite disturbing to have only access to the phone from adb).
For now, I went as far as deconnecting/reconnecting the battery connector (losing my warranty in the process). No help.

I somehow skipped the part where you said that recovery also shows the problem :p Sorry about that.

Since you have already opened your phone, you could check something else. I think there should be a connector from the screen to the motherboard, perhaps you can try disconnecting and reattaching it? If nothing works... I think a new screen (or phone) is in order...

Hmm ... I don't see myself doing the whole geeky thing, but since most of the french shops (I actually found only two) would take approximately one third of the price of the phone to do the same, I think I will just break my wallet and go buy a new one. And do the whole geeky thing anyway.
Any shop anyone know that has a fast delivery service to France please ^^ ?

Aliexpress... And check seller Goldway... No customs and tax when shipping to EU, if you choose "seller shipping method"...
I bought few times, always came on time... 5-6 days to Croatia...

Found seller Goldway (seems more than OK to me), but I can't find any black version anywhere.

You rock. Only the 64gb was available, but that will obviously do right by me. Thank you !

ibuygou was the first shop I used when I bought a Mi2s. After-Sales were very friendly and responsive (France delivery problem due to a ... french delivery service).
OK now, Mi5 received, Global Rom Version: V8.1.4.0.MAAMIDI (MIUI8) installed and phone unlocked.
Could anyone please tell me what steps should I follow now if I wish to install the rom (and amazing work) here in xiaomi.eu ? I'm a bit confused since I found 4 different TWRP and not sure if I need to wipe user data or not ?

ibuygou was the first shop I used when I bought a Mi2s. After-Sales were very friendly and responsive (France delivery problem due to a ... french delivery service).
OK now, Mi5 received, Global Rom Version: V8.1.4.0.MAAMIDI (MIUI8) installed and phone unlocked.
Could anyone please tell me what steps should I follow now if I wish to install the rom (and amazing work) here in xiaomi.eu ? I'm a bit confused since I found 4 different TWRP and not sure if I need to wipe user data or not ?

So... Flash TWRP via ADB (LINK : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298916060 )
After you flash this TWRP, reboot into TWRP and than wipe everything, mount storage and copy latest zip with xiaomi.eu DEV ROM ( Download it on your computer while u flash TWRP )
After you copy latest ROM in *.zip, install it and do a wipe cache/dalvik...

And that's it... I did this way and everything is working nice... :D

Also, u have instructions for installing in weekly DL's part of the forum...
How to update to Android 7.0 from Android 6.0:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release
- Reboot - Never wipe /system partition manually!
- Done
- In case of any issues, make factory reset via system settings

Reactions: mediaklan
So... Flash TWRP via ADB (LINK : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298916060 )
After you flash this TWRP, reboot into TWRP and than wipe everything, mount storage and copy latest zip with xiaomi.eu DEV ROM ( Download it on your computer while u flash TWRP )
After you copy latest ROM in *.zip, install it and do a wipe cache/dalvik...
Thanks a lot GoranCRO. OK so I suppose I don't need this part :
ingbrzy said:
Install edited boot.img via Fastboot
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
I couldn't find any boot.img anyway in the TWRP zip.
A pity we have to wipe everything, because since it's a new phone, you actually need to reinstall everything twice - -', one to reinstall everything from your MIUI account for the new phone, one when you want to use xiaomi.eu roms.
Ah whatever. Here we go.