Mi5 Totally Locked. Help!

sogga6

Members
Sep 11, 2016
Hello friends.

I suddenly got a problem With my Mi5 that I bought from a Chinese reseller on eBay. Been searching and see that many People got problems With bricked devices. But i cannot really find a solution that work for me.

The phone just turnet itself of while I was listening to music. Then a Fastboot image appeared on the screen, turned itself on and on booting to this screen. Then it turned itself off and would not start again.. Plugged it in the charger, nothing, no charging indicator nothing. Left it over the night and when I woke up, and was then happy to atleast see the charging indicator on the phone was there.

I have tried all kind of button Combinations, but the phone refuses to turn on. If i Connect it to a computer I get the something Connected sound on Windows, but it takes about 5 Seconds then the unconnect sound appear. This Will continue in a loop by itself until I unplug the Device.

ANYONE got a sloution for this?

Help much appriciated!

Best regards,
Sogg

If i leave it Connected in my PC it gets hot on the top left corner on the backside. So something is working even Tho the phone seems dead....

Try putting it in EDL mode and connect it to the PC. Then go under "Device Manager" and look how it is seen by the OS.

Plus, there are lots of guides out there about how to recover a bricked Mi5. Google it.

sent from my Mi5

Reactions: sogga6
Try putting it in EDL mode and connect it to the PC. Then go under "Device Manager" and look how it is seen by the OS.

Plus, there are lots of guides out there about how to recover a bricked Mi5. Google it.

sent from my Mi5

Sorry. I am pretty new to this. I have tried several guides.

The phone now is stable and dont reconnect now when Connected to PC. It comes up as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008.

I cannot get in fastboot mode as the guides requires because nothing happens on my screen when pressing any butons...

The phone now is stable and dont reconnect now when Connected to PC. It comes up as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008.

I cannot get in fastboot mode as the guides requires because nothing happens on my screen when pressing any butons...
Then you should still be able to use MiFlash tool and flash an official ROM.

sent from my Mi5

Was your bootloader unlocked?
If you press Vol+/Vol- and Power button anything happens now?
Did you try booting in EDL mode?

sent from my Mi5
No I think it should be locket. But from what I read I need this ROM to even get to unlock the BL.
Vol+/- and Power does not work. The phone does not respond to anything. I only get it in Device Manager as Qualcomm blablabla. And this is when I have removed the back of the phone and hold and press the two small Testpoints and plug in the USB.

I think that Method forces it in EDL mode?
If you connect it to the PC and start an adb session, type 'fastboot devices': what does it say?

edit: yes, this should be EDL mode. Did you check "flash all" when using miflash?

sent from my Mi5

Last edited:
If you connect it to the PC and start an adb session, type 'fastboot devices': what does it say?

edit: yes, this should be EDL mode. Did you check "flash all" when using miflash?

sent from my Mi5
Ok, downloaded the Minimal ADB and Fastboot from XDA Forums. When I type "adb fastboot devics" I just get a bunch of lines containing the different commands I can put in the command promt. If I type it without the "adb" nothing happens.

Yes, I used the FlashAll in MiFlash :)

Ok, downloaded the Minimal ADB and Fastboot from XDA Forums. When I type "adb fastboot devics" I just get a bunch of lines containing the different commands I can put in the command promt. If I type it without the "adb" nothing happens.

Yes, I used the FlashAll in MiFlash :)
What about 'adb devices'?
I suggest you to apply to unlock the bootloader, in the meantime.

sent from my Mi5

What about 'adb devices'?
I suggest you to apply to unlock the bootloader, in the meantime.

sent from my Mi5
"adb devices" gives me an empty list.

Is there an English page for applying or is it still only in Chinese?

Thank you for Your help man ;)

"adb devices" gives me an empty list.

Is there an English page for applying or is it still only in Chinese?

Thank you for Your help man ;)
miui.com/unblock

Then I suppose you didn't turn on Debug Setting while the phone was still alive.

sent from my Mi5

miui.com/unblock

Then I suppose you didn't turn on Debug Setting while the phone was still alive.

sent from my Mi5
Nope, never really played around with it as my needs pretty much are covered with stock Android...

So if I get to unlock my phone, that should do the trick? Applyed for unlock yesterday ;)

Tried with several other ROMS aswell now with no luck on any of them.

This really is the most stupid thing ever. Randomly locking my phone and pretty much render it useless AND I have to apply so I might can fix my phone...!?

Was close to ordering the Mi Box, but I really have to wait and see the outcome of this issue...

Nope, never really played around with it as my needs pretty much are covered with stock Android...

So if I get to unlock my phone, that should do the trick? Applyed for unlock yesterday ;)

Tried with several other ROMS aswell now with no luck on any of them.

This really is the most stupid thing ever. Randomly locking my phone and pretty much render it useless AND I have to apply so I might can fix my phone...!?

Was close to ordering the Mi Box, but I really have to wait and see the outcome of this issue...
The thing is, I'm wondering if the reseller installed a fake ROM on your mi5, it's very common. Xiaomi locked the bootloader to prevent this, but sometimes resellers find exploit to bypass this protection.
Well, my hope for you managing to unlock the bootloader are not that high, as your device never booted on China Dev ROM, but we can try.
I don't have many other ideas, though..

sent from my Mi5

So, if it does not work with the bootloader unlock there is nothing I can do and basically throw it away?

So, if it does not work with the bootloader unlock there is nothing I can do and basically throw it away?
I promise you I will look for some other infos in these days, but I can't assure you of anything. You can try writing to the reseller and explaining what happened, too. You can open a thread on official forum, and on XDA too.

sent from my Mi5

Files needed before u start flashing for ur device !!!

TWRP search this forum
Mifash tool ( beta version preferred ) search this forum
Mi PC SUITE China version preferred. search this forum
IMAGEs.tgz ROM ( old miui7 Dev China version preferred ) search this forum or en.miui.com forum
ROM.zip ( old miui7 Dev China version preferred ) search this forum
adb/fastboot with EDL support search/check XDA
make sure ur windows 10 32/64 bit is disabled for digital signatures before u proceed.

Method 1:
As u can get the Qualcomm HS-USB , u can flash using miflash BETA tool with a flash all option. recommended to flash dev china miui7 old version then get ur phone going before u flash new rom.
fastboot reboot-edl
then use mi flash tool flash ur images rom.

Method 2:
download twrp.img recovery
download the Zip ROM file ( preferred old dev china ROM.zip )
fastboot boot twrp.img
install this ROM.zip

Method 3:
use mi pc suite ( china version )
and connect ur phone in fastboot method or how u got the Qualcomm HS-USB thing going
thr R Flash option on top right .. 2nd option shud lead u R Flash
THIS method is very very slow but it works 100%.

this shud solve ur problem

TWRP search this forum
IMAGEs.tgz ROM ( old miui7 Dev China version preferred ) search this forum or en.miui.com forum
make sure ur windows 10 32/64 bit is disabled for digital signatures before u proceed.

Method 1:
As u can get the Qualcomm HS-USB , u can flash using miflash BETA tool with a flash all option. recommended to flash dev china miui7 old version then get ur phone going before u flash new rom.
fastboot reboot-edl

Method 2:
fastboot boot twrp.img
install this ROM.zip

Method 3:
and connect ur phone in fastboot method or how u got the Qualcomm HS-USB thing going

Thank you! I will try this! :)

Just heard back from the reseller aswell, they where willing to let me send i back for a replacement.
I will try this method first

TWRP search this forum

Method 1:
fastboot reboot-edl

Method 2:
fastboot boot twrp.img
install this ROM.zip

Method 3:

Hey man!

Just tried the Method 3 just to be sure. The phone is discovered in Device Manager, but it seems that the Mi Pc Suite China does not discover it. What could I be doing wrong?

Hey man!

Just tried the Method 3 just to be sure. The phone is discovered in Device Manager, but it seems that the Mi Pc Suite China does not discover it. What could I be doing wrong?
Did you installed the correct drivers?

sent from my Mi5