Mi5s Rom To Install

SAngeli

Members
Mar 18, 2016
Hi,
I am about to receive, in few days, my first Xiaomi smartphone ever: Mi5s 4GB - 128GB Gray.
I am soo excited about it!

Yesterday, I requested Xiaomi to unlock the device at en.miui.com/unlock website. I am now waiting for the code to arrive via SMS, as they say.

I am doing some reading about which ROM (Developer or Stable) to install but mostly where to get it from.
I live in Italy and will need for sure Italian language.

I am confused because I fail to properly understand which one to choose (miui.it or xiaomi.eu) because I am not able to see in details on miui.it website their specs. They only say that "...better translated version" but is is not sufficient to make me decide. Rather, your website shows a long list of features - which is what I am looking for to read.
Some say "xiaomi.eu is the best ROM ever" but some also say that "translation of Multilanguage ROM are always behind of one release.
Now, it is obvious that asking here in this forum is implied you all reply "use xiaomi.eu Multilanguage ROM" but has anyone had my same doubts and questions?
What to do?

Moreover, in your page there is a long section with the title "Our ROMs features (Whats not in Global)". What does it mean? The long list of featuers listed will be included in Multiganguage ROM or not? I am not sure how to interpet the title under brackets.

Thank you

ROMs from miui.it is are developer version only and should be more similar to the upstream developer version.
Xiaomi.eu has both developer and stable versions (just translation+gapps and some chinese apps removed).
AFAIK, official xiaomi, when need to create a global ROM containing Italian get the translation from miui.it repository. I think xiaomi.eu does the same, but I could be wrong.
On miui.it there should be a weekly announce on the home page about new releases and the changelog should be the same as upstream version. I think it could happen that settings Italian as language it there are new strings "keys" for an app which doesn't exists in the localized version, the app may crash, but I've never seen this on xiaomi.eu.
I think that you should start deciding if you are going to install a stable (so xiaomi.eu) or a developer version.
In the latter case my idea is that the best think to do is trying them for a while and then decide with which one to stick.

Thank you for your reply.

Quote: "AFAIK, official xiaomi, when need to create a global ROM containing Italian get the translation from miui.it repository. I think xiaomi.eu does the same, but I could be wrong." If this is true what is the point in using xiaomi.eu ROM if even you use their translation? What makes it really a difference between the two? Why am I having such difficulties in understanding?
Through an analogy, if I have to choose between two smartphones I would compare both agains tech/hardware specs and then will be able (somehow) to understan the differencies. Here instead I do not find anything that would allow me to discern.

I was told to first try one and if I do not like it switch to the other one. BUT, I do not have time to "play" with the device. I wish something that is fully compatible, fully optimized for the Italian market and that would work well.

I am tempted to just use the miui.it but I keep hearing that xiaomi.eu is the best ever.

Another question: Is it possible to unlock the device, install boot loader and install miui.it ROM and after a while switch to xiaomi.eu ROM installing it without having to start from scratch?

Last question: what is brick device and how can it happen? but most important: how to fix the device and install back miui.it or xiaomi.eu again?

Thank you....