MI8 SE stuck in fastboot

pschweiger

Members
Aug 13, 2019
Hi,
Recently I tried flashing xiaomi.eu ROM to a MI8 SE (sirius), and was greeted with a nasty surprise: the phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

The phone's original ROM before flashing was miui_MI8SE_V10.3.2.0.PEBCNXM_7a3acfc714_9.0.

Here is exactly what I did:

1. Downloaded TWRP from https://dl.twrp.me/xmsirius/twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img.html, the downloaded filename is twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img.
2. Downloaded xiaomi.eu ROM from https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=14943124697586366529, the downloaded filename is xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8SE_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_v12-10.zip
3. Unlocked the bootloader.

The following operations were performed on a Linux computer with all the necessary tools and drivers.

4. fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img
5. fastboot reboot.

At this point I was surprised to find that the stock recovery seems to have been restored and have overwritten the newly flashed twrp.
So I executed the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img
fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img

After that the phone rebooted into TWRP.

6. Performed a default wipe and "Format data" (had to type 'yes' to continue)
7. Rebooted back into TWRP. (since without rebooting MTP was all gibberish)
8. Copied xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8SE_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_v12-10.zip into internal storage
9. Installed the zip file via "Install"
10. Reboot.

All above operations were finished without error.

After rebooting, the phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

I tried performing "fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img" but it returned:
Code:
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.118s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)
finished. total time: 1.124s

Since I'm a near complete noob in Android ROM flashing, any help is appreciated! I would like to know what I did wrong, and how to get out of this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
6. default wipe and "Format data"
=> Doing a "default wipe" was completely useless... You only have to use the "Format Data" button! :)

Hold " Volume + " and " Power " buttons simultaneously of your phone. Does it boot in TWRP or not?

You can try to "fastboot flash recovery" this custom recovery: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664817268

Do NOT use "fastboot boot" command but hold " Volume + " and " Power " buttons simultaneously to boot in recovery mode.

;)

Reactions: pschweiger
Hold " Volume + " and " Power " buttons simultaneously of your phone. Does it boot in TWRP or not?

;)
Hi,

Thanks for the fast response!

It is impossible to turn off my device for the moment (it's stuck in fastboot). Pressing Volume Up and Power simultaneously will not boot the device into recovery, only fastboot mode.

As for the OrangeFox custom recovery, I might try it later, but for now will it bring the device out of the fastboot loop? Without knowing what I did wrong and the root cause of the issue I'm kind of scared to perform any further action :-(

Thanks!

I guess you hard-bricked your phone. Two possible reasons to me:

1) The Official ROM (installed before) was very old, it's recommended to update your phone to the latest Official ROM before installing the latest Xiaomi.eu ROM.

2) Issue with the latest Official TWRP for your device, yes... in rare cases the Official TWRP has issues. :(

Hi,
Recently I tried flashing xiaomi.eu ROM to a MI8 SE (sirius), and was greeted with a nasty surprise: the phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

The phone's original ROM before flashing was miui_MI8SE_V10.3.2.0.PEBCNXM_7a3acfc714_9.0.

Here is exactly what I did:

1. Downloaded TWRP from https://dl.twrp.me/xmsirius/twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img.html, the downloaded filename is twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img.
2. Downloaded xiaomi.eu ROM from https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=14943124697586366529, the downloaded filename is xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8SE_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_v12-10.zip
3. Unlocked the bootloader.

The following operations were performed on a Linux computer with all the necessary tools and drivers.

4. fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img
5. fastboot reboot.

At this point I was surprised to find that the stock recovery seems to have been restored and have overwritten the newly flashed twrp.
So I executed the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img
fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img

After that the phone rebooted into TWRP.

6. Performed a default wipe and "Format data" (had to type 'yes' to continue)
7. Rebooted back into TWRP. (since without rebooting MTP was all gibberish)
8. Copied xiaomi.eu_multi_MI8SE_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_v12-10.zip into internal storage
9. Installed the zip file via "Install"
10. Reboot.

All above operations were finished without error.

After rebooting, the phone is stuck in fastboot mode.

I tried performing "fastboot boot twrp-3.5.2_9-0-xmsirius.img" but it returned:
Code:
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  1.118s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Failed to load/authenticate boot image: Load Error)
finished. total time: 1.124s

Since I'm a near complete noob in Android ROM flashing, any help is appreciated! I would like to know what I did wrong, and how to get out of this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Your phone is bricked, because you flashed a "recent" TWRP on an old rom.
You will recover your phone by flashing a fastboot rom via MIFLASH.

Thanks for all the responses! It looks like the culprit was that I didn't update the stock ROM to latest before starting everything.

I'll try the methods listed above. Maybe try flashing "sirius_images_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_20210625.0000.00_10.0_cn_0969fb8c9f.tgz" via miflash and hope it works.

Thanks!

Hello everyone! I'm back after trying nearly all available options in this thread. And unfortunately, I've yet to make them work.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Flashed lastest official ROM "sirius_images_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_20210625.0000.00_10.0_cn_0969fb8c9f.tgz" with miflash (clear all data, but do not lock BL), and despite an error related to "checkpoint" at the end, the phone came back to life. Phew! Finally a good sign.

2. Now that the phone is loaded with latest official ROM, I repeated all the steps in the stable release thread, and .... the phone become stuck in fastboot loop again;

3. After rescueing the phone with miflash again, I tried with OrangeFox, and then "recovery-TWRP-3.3.2B-0301-XIAOMI8SE-CN-wzsx150.img", all with the same result - fastboot loop after installing xiaomi.eu ROM.

I double checked everything, including the checksum of all the images. However I'm unable to figure out what to do next.

On the plus side, at least now I know how to go back with miflash after messing up. ;-)

Any idea?

Thanks!

Hello everyone! I'm back after trying nearly all available options in this thread. And unfortunately, I've yet to make them work.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Flashed lastest official ROM "sirius_images_V12.5.1.0.QEBCNXM_20210625.0000.00_10.0_cn_0969fb8c9f.tgz" with miflash (clear all data, but do not lock BL), and despite an error related to "checkpoint" at the end, the phone came back to life. Phew! Finally a good sign.

2. Now that the phone is loaded with latest official ROM, I repeated all the steps in the stable release thread, and .... the phone become stuck in fastboot loop again;

3. After rescueing the phone with miflash again, I tried with OrangeFox, and then "recovery-TWRP-3.3.2B-0301-XIAOMI8SE-CN-wzsx150.img", all with the same result - fastboot loop after installing xiaomi.eu ROM.

I double checked everything, including the checksum of all the images. However I'm unable to figure out what to do next.

On the plus side, at least now I know how to go back with miflash after messing up. ;-)

Any idea?

Thanks!
This phone is hard to update..
I lived with it 2 years ago and I can't remember everything, but I helped a friend finding a solution.
Also some more recent trials, you can investigate:
Good luck, not needed too much, just a matter of patience finding the trick. this phone is robust!

Hello. Did you try this ?
Try to flash an official MIUI rom (an old one, like miui 9 or 10) and update step by step with TWRP. Be careful, you need to use the right version of TWRP according to the version of Xiaomi.eu

Here's what I've tried:

So this checkpoint error is normal, the checkpoint checks if the bootloader was closed successfully and since it was not closed in your case, the checkpoint fails.