MiJia Compact Smart Projector Wifi Problem

My projector is reporting a strong WIFI signal and I think the connection is not a problem.
My router is 5 meters away but unfortunately it continually connects and disconnects randomly.
When I watch a movie on NeTFlix in HD if the video buffer is loaded with data it disconnects and reconnects and I have no blocks but this is not always good :( ....
All other household appliances have a stable wifi connection and there are no problems .

My projector is reporting a strong WIFI signal and I think the connection is not a problem.
My router is 5 meters away but unfortunately it continually connects and disconnects randomly.
When I watch a movie on NeTFlix in HD if the video buffer is loaded with data it disconnects and reconnects and I have no blocks but this is not always good :( ....
All other household appliances have a stable wifi connection and there are no problems .
yes, that's pretty much my experience

Somehow glad to see that I'm not the only one having this issue...
I did send a feedback using the Mi Home app.

Wait&See

Here is another victim of this update. About two weeks ago I installed it, and there is no way to watch netflix or Plex, it is completely impossible.

Me too, the only solution I found is to connect the hdmi to a Laptop I set near the projector...
The 5Ghz wifi is super unstable, and the 2.4Ghz is too low

Hey all, i write some emails to the support of Xiaomi, but they only send me some standard answers like, please check your WLAN signal and so on, after i ask my question again, they wrote me that it seems that this is an hardware problem and is should send them the projector .... sorry Xiaomi, your support in this case is really crap, i repeate everytime that i am not the only person with this problem, but nothing happens.

The good news is, i fixed it for myself with an USB Network Adapter for about 8 euros. So i did not use the WLAN anymore, its a pain in the ass if you need to do the cabeling when the projector is under your ceiling, but it is working fine now. Hopefully there will be a hotifx/patch/update soon, so we all can use the 5 GHz signal again.

The good news is, i fixed it for myself with an USB Network Adapter for about 8 euros. So i did not use the WLAN anymore, its a pain in the ass if you need to do the cabeling when the projector is under your ceiling, but it is working fine now. Hopefully there will be a hotifx/patch/update soon, so we all can use the 5 GHz signal again.
that's a good idea. if i buy something like this, do you happen to know how to configure the projector to use it for the wifi instead the internal module?

What adapter did you bought and what kind of setup you made? I'm actually using an RJ45 cable and it is s working fine. I don't believe there's a hardware problem as the connections are made.

Enviado do meu VOG-L29 através do Tapatalk

that's a good idea. if i buy something like this, do you happen to know how to configure the projector to use it for the wifi instead the internal module?
I had the same idea first to use a us wlan stick, but then i assumed its better to use a cable, cause i want to be sure that there is no problem with the WLAN driver, or whatever.

What adapter did you bought and what kind of setup you made? I'm actually using an RJ45 cable and it is s working fine. I don't believe there's a hardware problem as the connections are made.

Enviado do meu VOG-L29 através do Tapatalk
I am pretty sure that this is not a hardware problem. I use this one www.amazon.de/gp/product/B098L5ZBZL/ and it is working fine for me. I don't need USB3 here cause the global version of the projector only supports USB2

I had the same idea first to use a us wlan stick, but then i assumed its better to use a cable, cause i want to be sure that there is no problem with the WLAN driver, or whatever.
ah ok, sorry i misunderstood, i thought you meant a usb wifi dongle. can't run cables to mine, which is annoying!

Hi, here is a solution worked for me. I changed the security options of my wifi to wpa/wpa2 encryption and now the projector works without dropping the internet. Try a slightly lower level of encryption. Mine was a very secure, maybe the projector not have been able to handle this.

Last edited:
Hi, here is a solution worked for me. I changed the security options of my wifi to wpa/wpa2 encryption and now the projector works without dropping the internet. Try a slightly lower level of encryption. Mine was a very secure, maybe the projector not have been able to handle this.
hmmm mine is set to this already, but still having problems

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 15.03.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 15.03.02.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 261
hmmm mine is set to this already, but still having problems
Did you try reboot the projector and connecting again to the wifi? I am pretty sure this update has made it harder for the projector to handle encryption for some reason, so somewhere here will be your solution as well.

Did you try reboot the projector and connecting again to the wifi? I am pretty sure this update has made it harder for the projector to handle encryption for some reason, so somewhere here will be your solution as well.
yeah it reboots every day, but still the same

I have the same problem and for now I have solved by hotspots from iphone. I also have an update inside playstore that you don't run, it's an update that concerns the data server to decrease the size of streaming movies, has anyone managed to perform this update?

I am pretty sure that this is not a hardware problem. I use this one www.amazon.de/gp/product/B098L5ZBZL/ and it is working fine for me. I don't need USB3 here cause the global version of the projector only supports USB2
This advise doesnt work for me, since my router ( and all cables 5 meters away).. I would like to hide all cabels, and this is a main reason wy I bought this f@#$ing projector.... to not use crappy wires ...

hey I don't want to speak too soon, but I might have found a clumsy fix.

my network set up previous to this evening was:

Virgin Media Superhub 4 running in modem-only mode >>> Orbi mesh network >>> Mi Projector

I just remembered that I have another small xiaomi extender (this one) plugged in to extend my wifi outside the house. It has its own network name from the main mesh.

I tried connecting the projector to this network and it suddenly seems to be working ok!

Virgin Media Superhub 4 running in modem-only mode >>> Orbi mesh network >>> Xiaomi Extended Network >>> Mi Projector

Look at these speed differences. I've gone from being totally unable to connect and on good days only getting an intermittent 10 mbps (red circle) to consistently getting around 30mbps without dropouts (green circle)

I guess it might just crap out again in the coming days, but I'm ok with this if it holds up.

IMG_5198.jpg

Hi!
I've found another clumsy fix to the issue: i've changed the encryption type of my network to the WPA.
Not the safest solution but since my Mijia could establish a stable 5Ghz-connection, seems to be a working one.

Hi!
I've found another clumsy fix to the issue: i've changed the encryption type of my network to the WPA.
Not the safest solution but since my Mijia could establish a stable 5Ghz-connection, seems to be a working one.
my Xiaomi 4a gigabit router doesn't support WPA xD
Anyway I've tried to use not encrypted option and it didn't work

I've found the working solution, hope it can help you as well. I think the issue is related to the region.

I've tested all possible options with wifi channels on my router and realized none of them is working despite some people could fix the issue switching to some chanells. I googled a bit and it turns out wifi 5g issue is pretty common on many devices and it's caused by region settings. It is pity we have no region settengs on the projector itself but we can still set the region on a router. I have xiomi 4a gigabit router and all i had to do is to switch my country region to Ireland. Interesting that i am still using same channels as before and it works great now. You can check other regions i just chose the first that work for me. If you have Xiomi router you can check this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I've found the working solution, hope it can help you as well. I think the issue is related to the region.

I've tested all possible options with wifi channels on my router and realized none of them is working despite some people could fix the issue switching to some chanells. I googled i bit and it turns out wifi 5g issue is pretty common on many devices and it's caused by region settings. It is pity we have no region settengs on the projector itself but we can still set the region on a router. I have xiomi 4a gigabit router and i had to do is to switch my country region to Ireland. Interesting that i am still using the same channels as before and it works great now. You can check other regions i just chose the first that work for me. If you have Xiomi router you can check this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I live in Ireland but I still have the problem. So maybe it differs to person to person.