MIUI not with current Android Patch Level

BodoT

Members
Apr 6, 2018
Hi,

In the past MIUI rather quickly integrated the last patches from google in the weekly builds. But somehow this seems to be stuck. The current version is still with patches from 1st August. Where is the problem - in the Chinese original ROM or in our version?

Would be glad to have some more information or even more to have current patches.

Cheers,
Bodo

Hi,

In the past MIUI rather quickly integrated the last patches from google in the weekly builds. But somehow this seems to be stuck. The current version is still with patches from 1st August. Where is the problem - in the Chinese original ROM or in our version?

Would be glad to have some more information or even more to have current patches.

Cheers,
Bodo

Well, it's the question of a chain of dependencies Xiaomi.eu - Xiaomi - Qualcomm - Google - Linux.

Somewhere I have an article saved about how long Linux promises to support their kernels, and how long Google may have to support kernels past the point where Linux no longer supports them.

My old tractor Mi Max1 Prime (helium) is on:

Xiaomi.eu 10 (sounds and is great!)
Android 7.0 (not great, but not too bad)
(Linux) kernel 3.10.84 (bad! no Linux support since ? don't recall)
Android security patch level 2018-04-01 ( bad!)

Now, whose "fault" is this?

Last edited:
Well, it's the question of a chain of dependencies Xiaomi.eu - Xiaomi - Google - Linux.

Somewhere I have an article saved about how long Linux promises to support their kernels, and how long Google may have to support kernels past the point where Linux no longer supports them.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...kernel-lts-releases-are-now-good-for-6-years/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's the question of a chain of dependencies Xiaomi.eu - Xiaomi - Qualcomm - Google - Linux.

Linux Kernel is up to 4.0x for Android... Nonsense about Linux support! lol.

Linux Kernel is up to 4.0x for Android... Nonsense about Linux support! lol.

Read the article I linked to.

Old versions of the kernel, which older socs are locked to, are not supported.

Or, why is helium (sd 652) not on a newer security patch level than april?

Read the article I linked to.

Old versions of the kernel, which older socs are locked to, are not supported.

Or, why is helium (sd 652) not on a newer security patch level than april?
I dont need to read it. You've mentioned Linux support stopped at 3.x kernel, and for what phone? You used a broad stroke statement for all by not stating older SoC devices, maybe edit your post so that its less confusing to onlookers?. Naturally some older SoC will not be supported more due to drivers and such.

Security patch is entirely not related to the same, Xiaomi is always a month or so behind on Android Security Patches, they don't exactly follow the norms of development cycles in a parallel with Google! Look at the fact they don't follow Camera2 API even... Instead opting for their own implementation. However, I digress.

EDIT: I see you mentioned the phone which is not supported, at least it seems more clear your statement now ;-)

Might have something to do with AOSP or whatever they are using as base Android for MIUI. Or they are just busy with other stuff.
The fact is they just dont follow Googles life-cycle and instead opt for their own track. Nokia is the only company who seems to release timely OTAs and Security patches. I wouldn't hope for too much on this front from Xiaomi given that Google and its services are somewhat BLOCKED in China anyway.

Bare in mind the reasons for such blocking as well but i am not going to get into a political debate on it ;-)

Imho, based on the quote I found from the actual maintainer of the formally EOL Linux kernel 3.18, a check on its github status and that of 3.10, and a check of the security patches actually installed on my Mix1 and Max1, is that the glap of 6 months in security patches for the Max1 is most likely because of the lack of Linux support for it's 3.10 kernel, and not because of lack of interest from Xiaomi.
Lack of interest from Google for the older kernel is also a possibility, of course.

Getting the facts straight is a process, not a one-off event, especially in the Open Source world where "fact forking" is a fact.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Imho, based on the quote I found from the actual maintainer of the formally EOL Linux kernel 3.18, a check on its github status and that of 3.10, and a check of the security patches actually installed on my Mix1 and Max1, is that the glap of 6 months in security patches for the Max1 is most likely because of the lack of Linux support for it's 3.10 kernel, and not because of lack of interest from Xiaomi.
Lack of interest from Google for the older kernel is also a possibility, of course.

Getting the facts straight is a process, not a one-off event, especially in the Open Source world where "fact forking" is a fact.:rolleyes:
They have their own BSP team, equally capable to maintain kernels, the issue is not the Kernel alone but also the developers who maintain it or 'fork' it. Feeble clutching of straws in a blame game.

They have their own BSP team, equally capable to maintain kernels, the issue is not the Kernel alone but also the developers who maintain it or 'fork' it. Feeble clutching of straws in a blame game.

No blame game, just trying to figure out what is going on. The maintainers of 3.18 are apparently getting paid through some big unnamed soc vendors, otherwise it would have truly gone EOL like it was intended to.

Xiaomi came out fine in the security app check for the Mix1, update 20181001.
No cheating going on at least.

No blame game, just trying to figure out what is going on. The maintainers of 3.18 are apparently getting paid through some big unnamed soc vendors, otherwise it would have truly gone EOL like it was intended to.

Xiaomi came out fine in the security app check for the Mix1, update 20181001.
No cheating going on at least.
I didnt blame you, dont be so hyper-sensitive to comments :) anyway, if they wished to keep maintaining it, they could do so.

as there is still no newer Android security patch (still 1st August 2018) for Redmi Pro: what about other devices? Is this just existing for a set of devices (depending on age of the device or SOC) or is this a general problem for MIUI overall or just Android 6 devices?

Last edited: