Resolved MIX 3, MIUI 10, Android 9.0, APN can not be added/modified in Settings

kezzuki

Members
Jan 16, 2019
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the EU roms, i use a mix3 in canada and the EU rom is so much better than chinese stock rom.

So I noticed that i can not add any APN or edit existing on MIUI 10 on the mix 3. (I used to be able to do this on MIUI9 on mix2). As a result, the Canadian carrier that Im with (FIDO) only as 3G network as its 4G APN is not in apn-config.xml by default.

So i looked up my mobile carrier's apn information and manually added it to /system/etc/apn-config.xml (through TWRP), and finally got 4G after system boots.
But the problem is that safetynet fails once i do this and i think it can be because the modified system partition....

Is it possible for the EU rom to enable modification or addition to APN settings? Or maybe include an updated apn-config.xml in the system partition to pass safetynet?
The apn-config.xml that comes with stable chinese rom does not have at least the 4G apns for some canadian mobile carriers...
I tried briefly the Pixel Experience rom for mix3 and the apn-config in there the apn list is more comprehensive.

Thank you so very much for the consideration!

Last edited:
Reactions: fmccool302
Yes I reported this to Xiaomi as well I had to go back to 8.11.15 to set my apn before going to 9.1.10
Hi,

Thanks for the input.

Going back and forth is indeed a lot of work..and I don't think going back would work for the MIX3...

And by reporting to xiaomi, did you report on Xiaomi forum? or EU team?
And are they willing to fix this?

For now I am still manually replacing the apn-config.xml through TWRP and thus SafetyNet check always fail.....

I am just wondering...if this issue concerns the EU team/or am i posting this in the wrong section...:eek:
Since this post didnt get an "invalid" sticker:oops:..

Thanks in advance and sorry if i did something wrong...

I am just wondering...if this issue concerns the EU team/or am i posting this in the wrong section...:eek:
Since this post didnt get an "invalid" sticker:oops:..

Thanks in advance and sorry if i did something wrong...
None of us has this issue... we can add, change and delete APNs...

Reactions: kezzuki
None of us has this issue... we can add, change and delete APNs...

Thank you sir for the prompt reply.
Before this, I have searched around (such as XDA or miui forum) and apparently locking the APN settings is request by mobile carrier. And that is the case for at least a few canadian and US carriers... and only a sub set of these carriers do not have up-to-date apn info in the MIUI 10's apn-config.xml. On top of this, as xiaomi is not a popular brand in canada, very few people have reported this problem.

I have attached 2 screen shots of my vpn settings. First, i can not add/delete as there is only the reset option. Then, if i click on any of the existing ones and try to edit, all the fields are grayed out and can not be modified...

i am wondering if it difficult to use a more up-to-date apn-config.xml in the EU ROM(i can verify that it works, but breaks safetynet checks)... or if there is a way to add apn information without breaking safety net checks? Passing safetynet while having the correct apn would be the goal...

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-21-14-58-01-022_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-21-14-58-01-022_com.android.settings.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 568
  • Screenshot_2019-01-21-14-57-54-109_com.android.settings.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-21-14-57-54-109_com.android.settings.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 786
I think I can sort this out, but you never mentioned which ROM version exactly you are using.

I think I can sort this out, but you never mentioned which ROM version exactly you are using.

Oh sorry i forgot to mention the verson. So I think it has been present since the first release of EU weekly for the MIX 3 (something like 8.11.13). I flashed it since the initial release and has been updating it every week. Not sure about EU stable.

I am very grateful that you would spend on this issue which is for the minority of the users. Very much appreciated!

Oh sorry i forgot to mention the verson. So I think it has been present since the first release of EU weekly for the MIX 3 (something like 8.11.13). I flashed it since the initial release and has been updating it every week. Not sure about EU stable.

I am very grateful that you would spend on this issue which is for the minority of the users. Very much appreciated!
OK, I assume you use 9.1.17 and will make a test ZIP for you to flash.

Please confirm that after flashing this ZIP you are able to add new APNs, use them, and also remove them.
Read-only APNs will remain read-only, so if you want to make any changes, create a new APN, which should be editable.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tobkbg2jpeg713u/ApnTest_MIMix3_9.1.17.flashable.zip/file
Hey Igor

I have tried flashing the zip and TWRP gave me a line that says "set_metadata: some changes failed" and then error 7.
Any idea what that could be from?

Thanks

And after the failed flashing, i booted into system.
It seems like no changes in the settings.apk

And after the failed flashing, i booted into system.
It seems like no changes in the settings.apk
Now that I remember, unofficial TWRP for MIX 3 is pure garbage. Not sure how you can test this without proper TWRP.
You can try to manually move Settings.apk from inside the ZIP to /system/priv-app/Settings and then set file permissions to 0644.

Now that I remember, unofficial TWRP for MIX 3 is pure garbage. Not sure how you can test this without proper TWRP.
You can try to manually move Settings.apk from inside the ZIP to /system/priv-app/Settings and then set file permissions to 0644.
:eek:o_O:oops: lol well thats sad to hear
Will give it a shot later today and report back.
Thanks!

Hey Igor,

It works! Thanks!
Replaced the file through TWRP, and after reboots safetynet is still passed.

You re the best!

Hey Igor,

It works! Thanks!
Replaced the file through TWRP, and after reboots safetynet is still passed.

You re the best!
So, can you add new APNs, then remove them and select them for use?
We need to know for sure to include those fixes in the next public release.

So, can you add new APNs, then remove them and select them for use?
We need to know for sure to include those fixes in the next public release.

Yes sir, added a new APN and then turned off wifi to try data. I actually wrote previous reply with custom added apn.

Yes sir, added a new APN and then turned off wifi to try data. I actually wrote previous reply with custom added apn.
Excellent. Enjoy!

can i flash the zip on the mi max 3 with the apn problem to i cant add one either?
This ZIP is only for Mi MIX 3 version 9.1.17. If you try to flash it on anything else, Settings will most definitely crash.
We included the mod for the next release.

Hello Everyone. I have the same issue with the same provider FIDO.

@Igor can you please fix this issue and for Mi8 ?

Thank you very much

@Igor
I too have this problem, also with Fido in Canada, using Mi8 EE. I was able to add an new APN using Android 8 and it has carried over to the new stable. I tried the weeklies, does not matter which versions, but cannot add an APN. If you could please look into it, it would be greatly appreciated. I have also filed a bug report with the miui team.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-24-02-23-35-745_pl.zdunex25.updater.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-24-02-23-35-745_pl.zdunex25.updater.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 291
Hello Everyone. I have the same issue with the same provider FIDO.

@Igor can you please fix this issue and for Mi8 ?

Thank you very much

@Igor
I too have this problem, also with Fido in Canada, using Mi8 EE. I was able to add an new APN using Android 8 and it has carried over to the new stable. I tried the weeklies, does not matter which versions, but cannot add an APN. If you could please look into it, it would be greatly appreciated. I have also filed a bug report with the miui team.

This flashable zip is targeting MIX3 and weekly 9.1.17 particularly so any other phone or any other versions will not likely to work.

However, the good news is, this APN fix is going to be added in the next EU weekly rom as this is issue is listed in the "known issue" thread.

So, just wait till next weekly release, flash it and you will have it on your phone.

And i just realized that i basically just repeated what Igor said in his last reply...