[rom][cm12.1] Last Hope Rom - Best Rom Ever? ;)

Has anyone did not installed GAPPS and Xposed but has WiFi can not turn on issue?
Or install one of these, but WiFi is normal?
No GAPPS, no Xposed. If I recall correctly I may have had troubles with Wi-Fi after flashing but after some fiddling and reboots it got fine.

I noticed that there may be different Wi-Fi state (on/off) in the list of APs when accessed from the notification drawer or in system Settings/Wi-Fi.
Try to set both off and reboot.

Reactions: DeAkion
In RC5, the Settings // LiveDisplay // Display mode: Automatic stopped working (it did in RC4). When set manually to day or night, it works. (I also use Adaptive brightness.)

This is my personal experience with Last Hope RC5
WARNING: Get ready for a wall of text.

During the MIUIv5 times I did a new flash every week. Getting Last Hope RC5 was my first flash after more than a year. Once MIUIv6 came I lost interest since the design (in my personal opinion) deteriorated, some of the auxiliary apps were needlessly thrown away and rewritten with a different set of bugs, while nobody actually cared about our little phone anymore. The same trend continued with MIUIv7. Now with Xiaomi taking inspiration from Apple even in the lock-down department, I think that my first Xiaomi phone will be also the last. But then, a glimmer of last hope came to make that little phone cool again :)

As a long time user of MIUI 4.12.5 (hope I remember that correctly) I thought I'd give my view and my opinion on the question "Is Last Hope better than MIUI?"
After using Android 2.3 (HTC Sense), 4.0 (CM), 4.1 (CM), then getting Mi2S with 4.1 (MIUI), trying out the 5.1 Lollipop is a whole new world.

As first, how did I install (in case some were put off solely by that reason):
- download MiFlash from (obigota.d<DOT>miui<DOT>com/tools/MiPhone20151028.exe - sorry, can't post the links in human-redable format...)
- download tgz (mega<DOT>nz/#!n4pTESDK!YpUXY6zBSiW5fjI5nWXvKKti_gkkCbwmYOSZG4BTlnE)
- unpack tgz into C:\flash (so that it directly contains the .bat files)
- start the MiFlash, click the small arrow near "Browse" and to the first row select flash_all.bat (this will delete ALL the data on the phone)
- start flashing - may fail at first, second try worked for me
- download TWRP 3.0.0.1 and flash it into the phone
- then use the instructions for installation of this ROM

Now, the actual comments on the ROM. Note: I can't humanly test ALL the options the phone/ROMs have, so this is NOT a complete or definite review of the Last Hope ROM. YMMV.

What did I gain (what's good), in order of most beneficial to least beneficial:
- power saving battery mode (which I loved and last had in something like MIUI 4.5.xy something)
- newer Android than 4.1 -> I can use apps requiring Android 4.2 and newer! First think that comes to mind is LastPass with its Auto-Fill that just never worked on MIUIv5.
- newer Android -> all the newer Android (and CM) features
- single-click USB tethering (from quick settings shade)
- better notifications pull-down
- app drawer
- compass in quick settings pull-down (as opposed to an app in MIUI)
- less obtrusive Opera Max starting its VPN on startup
- no more resetting of default apps from my selection to the Xiaomi built-ins
- no more shady stuff such as "click Activate to enable the cloud client"

What did I lose (what could be better), in order of most painful to least painful:
- HDR mode in camera (this and the second one with transfer speeds are really, really hard to live without)
- display of current wifi/cell data transfer speeds in status bar
- single-click switching of mobile data status
- built-in call recorder (there is some call recording related option in Dialer, but no way to enable it or see the recordings)
- torch on long home button press when in lockscreen (but it's available in quick settings pull-down)
- folders in default launcher preview only first 4 icons (MIUI launcher has preview of 9 icons)
- alarm list is needlesly big/spacy and doesn't fit with the rest of the GUI... I can barely see 3 alarms at once
- lost the ability to "lock" an app in memory by listing all open apps and pulling on its icon

If you could point me to reasonable solutions to ^ these ^ issues, especially the first two, I'd be glad. I can definitely explore myself, but if you have some tried & trusted solution, that would be even better. As I understand it, it's currently not recommended to use Xposed, so I avoid it.

Bugs I encountered after ~three weeks of usage:
- after a few days I get so memory leaked that even launcher has to start again after each unlock
- got "can't connect camera" only once in all that time, reboot fixed it
- can't create a new desktop to the left of the leftmost desktop
- display battery percentage inside the symbol doesn't work (displays either next to it or not at all)
- Wi-Fi logon takes subjectively longer than on MIUI
- data connection speed on 2G seems slower than on MIUI (3G is fine), Opera Max user for long time

I don't think any of the issues aside of "can't connect camera" can be provided logs for. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to thank @bugers (and also @M1cha before him) for his work. I was frequently lurking this topic since RC2, but didn't think it's the right time until now. Were it not for you, Ubuntu Aquaris would be probably shipping to me right now.

TL;DR:
That sums up my opinion on the question "Is Last Hope better than MIUI?". For me, yes. For you... it's very much possible.

So you should be happy with today's version ;)

Reactions: kamakasnh
In RC5, the Settings // LiveDisplay // Display mode: Automatic stopped working (it did in RC4). When set manually to day or night, it works. (I also use Adaptive brightness.)

I'm using it every day. It's working correctly but as I remember it need to get access to location provider and is related with CM weather service. Few weeks ago Yahoo API was changed so maybe that's why you experience that now. Check new version, it includes upgraded API.

Reactions: MiKhan and DeAkion
Yes, sorry guys for that. Spring is going and world around me gets crazy ;) But I'm still alive and using phone ;) The best thing is I'm still trying to work on this ROM.
Don't think that you have something you have your work These are just free time to play So it's really nothing Ha ha This is what I want.

Reactions: bugers
New version will be available today!

Guys, I'm using current ROM version with changes for more or less two weeks. Camera works fine during this time (which stability was the biggest priority for me on this version). This doesn't close completely this bug but this time I ask you to let me know when and/or how you make camera to stop working if you experience "Can't connect to camera" problem. The best would be if you know how to reproduce the problem. Simply post on forum or contact me directly.

There is few other cherries on this version which are not a part of CM tree but I wanted to see how would they work ;) Let me know what do you think about them.

As always thank you all for helping others and me with making this ROM better and better!

Some of you asked about CM13. I haven't worked on it for month or so but I'll try to find some time to merge all the changes and look on it once again. Fingers crossed to see working version ;) (Personally I pretty disappointed MM version of Android - more bugs than LL).

Have fun and feel no bugs! ;)

Guys, I'm using current ROM version with changes for more or less two weeks. Camera works fine during this time (which stability was the biggest priority for me on this version). This doesn't close completely this bug but this time I ask you to let me know when and/or how you make camera to stop working if you experience "Can't connect to camera" problem. The best would be if you know how to reproduce the problem. Simply post on forum or contact me directly.

There is few other cherries on this version which are not a part of CM tree but I wanted to see how would they work ;) Let me know what do you think about them.

As always thank you all for helping others and me with making this ROM better and better!

Some of you asked about CM13. I haven't worked on it for month or so but I'll try to find some time to merge all the changes and look on it once again. Fingers crossed to see working version ;) (Personally I pretty disappointed MM version of Android - more bugs than LL).

thank you

Thx you‼

Hi here are my questions:
1) is there a simple script that reconfigure the partitions layout, instead flashing last miui?
2) is recomended to change filesystems to f2fs before flashing rc6? is there a good tutorial to do this?
3) is recomended to flash twrp 3.0.0.2 or the last one for ARIES? Or 2.8.1 is a best choice to get f2fs support?
Thanks

Reactions: gonewild
Thanks. Do I have to install it (the full zip) from recovery or I need to extract de img and install it from adb in fastboot mode?
I use flashify app from google play. You simply install full zip in this app, reboot phone and it's done

Snapdragon Camera isn't so good? I gave a link it few pages before
I tried it, it looked nice but "Auto HDR" did not have any effect on shooting high contrast scenes and "Auto Bracketing" caused weird behaviour of the app - back key stopped working, shutter stopped working, etc. It's possible that wiping apps cache & data migh help, but since the RC6 has Miui back...

P.S. Open Camera made good pics, too. But felt a tad slow and the weird animation between window transitions (open camera, close camera, enter settings, etc.) drove me crazy.

I'm using it every day. It's working correctly but as I remember it need to get access to location provider and is related with CM weather service. Few weeks ago Yahoo API was changed so maybe that's why you experience that now. Check new version, it includes upgraded API.
Ah, in may case probably more things stepped in: a firewalled cLock, a blocked location access of cLock (I do not use weather widget) and after the fresh installation of RC5 without GAPPs I did not have any location provider but device GPS (which obviously failed inhouse).
Thanks for the hint, things work again now in RC6. I'll try to block cLock again and see if LiveDisplay remembers the necessary data for day&night switching.