[rom][cm12.1] Last Hope Rom - Best Rom Ever? ;)

Hi,
Not sure if this is problem of RC5 but I have a huge wakelock by google play servises.
I made a clean instal, no xposed, no google now activated, location history off, no smartlock based on location. Instalation procedure was wipe all, instal ROM, instal gapps, reboot to system (using TWRP 3). Gapps and TWRP are downloaded from Buggers recomended links from the first post.
After a day of usage i have about a 33 minutes of location wakelock.
Anybody with the same problem? Any tips?
Thanks
f979b8ef821f75840bf6907ab0c36262.jpg

Отправлено с моего MI 2 через Tapatalk

For those having problems with huge GAPPS wakelocks:

For earlyer version of GAPPS it was possible to revoke the right to Wake Up, and to keep the app alife, but the last versins giving huge "Play Services have stopped" FC's.
Procedure Described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-google-play-services-battery-t2832525

For me it worked using the GServiceFix app from the play store. After using it it can be deinstalled.
Again, you can switch to microg gmscore. Which is a user app, so you can control it.

I can't stop spamming this :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Beyaz
For those having problems with huge GAPPS wakelocks:

For earlyer version of GAPPS it was possible to revoke the right to Wake Up, and to keep the app alife, but the last versins giving huge "Play Services have stopped" FC's.
Procedure Described here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/general/guide-google-play-services-battery-t2832525

For me it worked using the GServiceFix app from the play store. After using it it can be deinstalled.
Go to privacy and disable wake up, keep awake and auto start of Google play services is what is suggested. What are the cons of doing this? I read on the topic location update problem, so navigation problem?

Well this a kind of a hack. This you way you are completely forbidding Google Play Services from waking up your phone during deep sleep.

I don't have tried this, but I suppose it also stops the localisation service and Google Cloud Messaging, and the other stuff provided by GAPPS. The apps that relies on this stuff (Signal for example) could not work properly.

Also I enjoy spamming ehm ... promoting free and opensource projects.

Edit: during navigation you usually keep the screen on (and you use the GPS) so in theory blocking GAPPS wakelocks shouldn't give problems.

Last edited:
Well this a kind of a hack. This you way you are completely forbidding Google Play Services from waking up your phone during deep sleep.

I don't have tried this, but I suppose it also stops the localisation service and Google Cloud Messaging, and the other stuff provided by GAPPS. The apps that relies on this stuff (Signal for example) could not work properly.

Also I enjoy spamming ehm ... promoting free and opensource projects.

Edit: during navigation you usually keep the screen on (and you use the GPS) so in theory blocking GAPPS wakelocks shouldn't give problems.

My friend do you completely remove Gapps? I am asking you kindly to upload a comprehensive guide for everyone!

To be honest, I prefer MIUI 7 over this version (RC5). The CM interface seems to be more sluggish compared to MIUI (in spite of a lot higher Antutu score bordering 40k), the wi-fi speed outside of Google Playstore is very slow for some reason (i.e. Google Drive etc.), the camera or its *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* equivalent lacks the HDR function, I experience slowdowns when playing games or using gaming emulators that run smoother on MIUI, battery life is very questionable and a constant draining during inactivity frequently occurs. Some native apps are mediocre compared to MIUI ones (browser, file explorer, calendar, etc.), some seem to be better (gallery or music compared to the recent f+$#;3d ones in MIUI). GPS + AGPS seem to work better in CM though, the interface is, despite its customization options, less appealing for me compared to MIUI.

I guess it depends on personal preference, but for me the MIUI is winner at the moment, even in spite of its known issues and shortcomings.

Reactions: Beyaz
To be honest, I prefer MIUI 7 over this version (RC5). The CM interface seems to be more sluggish compared to MIUI (in spite of a lot higher Antutu score bordering 40k), the wi-fi speed outside of Google Playstore is very slow for some reason (i.e. Google Drive etc.), the camera or its *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* equivalent lacks the HDR function, I experience slowdowns when playing games or using gaming emulators that run smoother on MIUI, battery life is very questionable and a constant draining during inactivity frequently occurs. Some native apps are mediocre compared to MIUI ones (browser, file explorer, calendar, etc.), some seem to be better (gallery or music compared to the recent f+$#;3d ones in MIUI). GPS + AGPS seem to work better in CM though, the interface is, despite its customization options, less appealing for me compared to MIUI.

I guess it depends on personal preference, but for me the MIUI is winner at the moment, even in spite of its known issues and shortcomings.
Mi2s wins because of its hardware not miui. in my opinion, cm brings the cleanest and fastest system for this phone.

@unicoco12345

Well, as I've pointed out, it's just a matter of personal preference. I guess I will test the rom for a few more days to draw a more objective/complex conclusion, but for me, the certain functions are more important than the other ones. The reach of wi-fi signal seems to be a bit better in CM too, so I think I might find some more good features to appreciate the system more.

For now, I would classify this rom as good, whereas the MIUI would be nifty.

Reactions: bugers
This is my personal experience with Last Hope RC5
WARNING: Get ready for a wall of text.

During the MIUIv5 times I did a new flash every week. Getting Last Hope RC5 was my first flash after more than a year. Once MIUIv6 came I lost interest since the design (in my personal opinion) deteriorated, some of the auxiliary apps were needlessly thrown away and rewritten with a different set of bugs, while nobody actually cared about our little phone anymore. The same trend continued with MIUIv7. Now with Xiaomi taking inspiration from Apple even in the lock-down department, I think that my first Xiaomi phone will be also the last. But then, a glimmer of last hope came to make that little phone cool again :)

As a long time user of MIUI 4.12.5 (hope I remember that correctly) I thought I'd give my view and my opinion on the question "Is Last Hope better than MIUI?"
After using Android 2.3 (HTC Sense), 4.0 (CM), 4.1 (CM), then getting Mi2S with 4.1 (MIUI), trying out the 5.1 Lollipop is a whole new world.

As first, how did I install (in case some were put off solely by that reason):
- download MiFlash from (obigota.d<DOT>miui<DOT>com/tools/MiPhone20151028.exe - sorry, can't post the links in human-redable format...)
- download tgz (mega<DOT>nz/#!n4pTESDK!YpUXY6zBSiW5fjI5nWXvKKti_gkkCbwmYOSZG4BTlnE)
- unpack tgz into C:\flash (so that it directly contains the .bat files)
- start the MiFlash, click the small arrow near "Browse" and to the first row select flash_all.bat (this will delete ALL the data on the phone)
- start flashing - may fail at first, second try worked for me
- download TWRP 3.0.0.1 and flash it into the phone
- then use the instructions for installation of this ROM

Now, the actual comments on the ROM. Note: I can't humanly test ALL the options the phone/ROMs have, so this is NOT a complete or definite review of the Last Hope ROM. YMMV.

What did I gain (what's good), in order of most beneficial to least beneficial:
- power saving battery mode (which I loved and last had in something like MIUI 4.5.xy something)
- newer Android than 4.1 -> I can use apps requiring Android 4.2 and newer! First thing that comes to mind is LastPass with its Auto-Fill that just never worked on MIUIv5.
- newer Android -> all the newer Android (and CM) features
- single-click USB tethering (from quick settings shade)
- better notifications pull-down
- app drawer
- compass in quick settings pull-down (as opposed to an app in MIUI)
- less obtrusive Opera Max starting its VPN on startup
- no more resetting of default apps from my selection to the Xiaomi built-ins
- no more shady stuff such as "click Activate to enable the cloud client"

What did I lose (what could be better), in order of most painful to least painful:
- HDR mode in camera (this and the second one with transfer speeds are really, really hard to live without) Fixed in RC6
- display of current wifi/cell data transfer speeds in status bar Fixed in RC6
- single-click switching of mobile data status
- built-in call recorder (there is some call recording related option in Dialer, but no way to enable it or see the recordings) It's present, behind the "..." in-call button
- torch on long home button press when in lockscreen (but it's available in quick settings pull-down)
- folders in default launcher preview only first 4 icons (MIUI launcher has preview of 9 icons)
- alarm list is needlesly big/spacy and doesn't fit with the rest of the GUI... I can barely see 3 alarms at once
- lost the ability to "lock" an app in memory by listing all open apps and pulling on its icon

If you could point me to reasonable solutions to ^ these ^ issues, especially the first two, I'd be glad. I can definitely explore myself, but if you have some tried & trusted solution, that would be even better. As I understand it, it's currently not recommended to use Xposed, so I avoid it.

Bugs I encountered after ~three weeks of usage:
- after a few days I get so memory leaked that even launcher has to start again after each unlock
- got "can't connect camera" only once in all that time, reboot fixed it
- can't create a new desktop to the left of the leftmost desktop
- display battery percentage inside the symbol doesn't work (displays either next to it or not at all)
- Wi-Fi logon takes subjectively longer than on MIUI
- data connection speed on 2G seems slower than on MIUI (3G is fine), Opera Max user for long time

I don't think any of the issues aside of "can't connect camera" can be provided logs for. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I would like to thank @bugers (and also @M1cha before him) for his work. I was frequently lurking this topic since RC2, but didn't think it's the right time until now. Were it not for you, Ubuntu Aquaris would be probably shipping to me right now.

TL;DR:
That sums up my opinion on the question "Is Last Hope better than MIUI?". For me, yes. For you... it's very much possible.

2016-04-12: RC6 brings some whole-heartedly welcome fixes

Last edited:
WARNING:
What did I lose (what could be better), in order of most painful to least painful:
-
- display of current wifi/cell data transfer speeds in status bar
-
- built-in call recorder (there is some call recording related option in Dialer, but no way to enable it or see the recordings)
The former one: use either Xposed Network Speed Indicator (better) or some of the apps from Play Store (I use Data Counter And Speed Metre by Sun Light). NB the data counters have usually problems with accurate counting, when a firewall is active.

The latter one: yes this one seems very peculiar. I had problems with built-in recorder especially after updates of ROM. After deleting cache and (Phone) app data and some reboots it started to work. I am not able to reliably confirm what the problem was. Then, I like to use a special app for call recording, which created issues, too. The reason is that you can't use two apps accessing the audio route at once. Again, after a lot of fiddling, I got it working eventually. (Changing the recording settings in Phone app back and forth, turning recording on and off in Xposed CM Settings module, etc. NB the recording works without Xposed.)

[...]
- display of current wifi/cell data transfer speeds in status bar
- single-click switching of mobile data status
[...]
For the first thing i would really recommend app My Data Manager, which works perfectly for me.
For the switching it's a bit harder than in MIUI, but you can add in the toggles two-step toggle (in my language called data connection), at which you click and see your data usage measured by phone and also there is a switch for data on/off
[...]
- can't create a new desktop to the left of the leftmost desktop
- display battery percentage inside the symbol doesn't work (displays either next to it or not at all)
[...]
Creating the desktop is a bit tricky and I think it's caused by Trebuchet being based on google launcher. So you have to create new desktop on the right side and drag it on the left. Personally i was long time using Atom launcher (free), but recently i switched to Nova Prime, when its was in sale on GP for few cents.
The battery percentage inside the icon works only if the phone is not charging, to make it work even than you will have to use Xposed. (though is experienced some problems with this, maybe it was colliding with CM, so i settled for the text-only solution)
I'm using Xposed since installing this ROM and I haven't encountered any problems. Of course you have to always keep Xposed disable zip in your phone just in case some module update breaks something or anything like that.

For the first thing i would really recommend app My Data Manager, which works perfectly for me.
IMHO My Data Manager works great for data counting, but it cannot show the current speed in status bar. (And after recent GUI changes, I decided to say bye bye to it.)
There are two types of user apps, which can show network transfers in status bar: through an "active" notification icon (on the left) or through an overlay (widget). The overlay is troublesome, since it cannot "flow" in the status bar (you have to put it somewhere and it stays there, occassionally covering some other info beneath it.) Or Xposed can place an icon directly into the right side of the status bar (which was the best - but I am trying to learn to live w/o Xposed).

IMHO My Data Manager works great for data counting, but it cannot show the current speed in status bar. (And after recent GUI changes, I decided to say bye bye to it.)
(...)
Or Xposed can place an icon directly into the right side of the status bar (which was the best - but I am trying to learn to live w/o Xposed).
Yeah, you are right, I misunderstood him. :) I started using MDM after they made the new GUI, but I think it's pretty bad... I had to search long to set it as I need it, but after that it does the job for me.
I think that using Xposed isn't such a problem as long as you keep caution about what modules you are installing, you don't install huge modules like Gravity Box witch cause problems with CM and most importantly you keep Xposed unisntaller zip in your phone. I'm running with Xposed since I started to use this ROM and no problems so far (only Gravity Box bugged for me, because i didn't know about its collisons with CM). I couldn't live w/o modules like Smart Network, because my battery would die before the end of the day.

what are you talking about?
even the final 12.1 is not released
12.1 is not an official release of CM. Is a work of BUGGERS and other people. If they want to stop or leave, they can.
Is known that buggers is working in CM13 but I do not know if is it ready for daily usage

MiKhan said:
use either Xposed Network Speed Indicator (better)
I wasn't going to install Xposed since earlier it was officially recommended against, but seeing the recommendation disappear from the first post, I might now. The module sounds great.
MiKhan said:
after a lot of fiddling, I got [call recorder] working eventually
Today I tried to click the "three vertical dots/vertical ellipsis" button in in-call menu and there was "Record the call" option I've never seen before... Sometimes I'm not sure if some of my actions change things or whether I really didn't try this yet. I did a testing call and was able to record it without using any 3rd-party app - success!

Jezura said:
you can add in the toggles two-step toggle (in my language called data connection)
I know about the two-click (well, three-click :) ) option of data connection by enabling it in the Quick Settings. It's not one-click, though, but Bluetooth and Wi-Fi tiles are one-click... argh!
Jezura said:
The battery percentage inside the icon works only if the phone is not charging, to make it work even than you will have to use Xposed
Ha, you're right! I think that I tried this setting also when not charging and it didn't work anyway for Circle, but maybe I just remember incorrectly.
Jezura said:
don't install huge modules like Gravity Box witch cause problems with CM and most importantly you keep Xposed unisntaller zip in your phone
I usually avoid too large modules anyway, but will definitely keep in mind to have the uninstaller at hand.

Thanks for all the tips, guys, I appreciate it! Currently I'm at 1 Xposed addon (Network Speed Indicator) and happy. Now to find a HDR camera, already sifting through a few candidates...

Has anyone did not installed GAPPS and Xposed but has WiFi can not turn on issue?
Or install one of these, but WiFi is normal?