[ROM][LINARO] CyanogenMod 11 Modified Edition [09/09/14]

I really love this ROM. It's absolutely amazing the smoothness and overall responsiveness of the mi2s. But I have to report some bugs:
1. At first install, the storage partitions was corrupted, so I wasn't able to copy back my info to the phone. Solved with several reformating and data/storage wipes.
2. Sometimes audio calls doesn't work. Workaround: reboot the phone.

Thanks for the work!

Enviado desde mi MI 2S mediante Tapatalk

This Linaro ROM is not working for me at all. I don't know no matter how much hard i try it. it is better for me to wait for very simple procedure or flash another ROM.
Any help if possible in flashing this ROM from anyone ?

This Linaro ROM is not working for me at all. I don't know no matter how much hard i try it. it is better for me to wait for very simple procedure or flash another ROM.
Any help if possible in flashing this ROM from anyone ?

Did you flash Philz recovery?

Just installed, no problems so far. Seems very smooth (certainly compared to miui) and quick...

Thanks

Back to v slow graphics and v low (relatively speaking) total Antutu score. CPUs ended at 1.7 GHz. So that's OK.
Major differences with previous kind of OK performance are:
Storage I/O: from 1229 to 624
2D graphics: from 1625 to 378
3D graphics: from 6622 to 1524

This was the case also straight after the 1st flash. I rebooted already, same sluggish results.
Kazin08 reported exactly the same behaviour in the cm11 thread, with an early Linaro build, on July 18th.
Any idea? I'll try the today's version to see if the performance recovers. If not??
4e4u4abe.jpg

Back to v slow graphics and v low (relatively speaking) total Antutu score. CPUs ended at 1.7 GHz. So that's OK.
Major differences with previous kind of OK performance are:
Storage I/O: from 1229 to 624
2D graphics: from 1625 to 378
3D graphics: from 6622 to 1524

This was the case also straight after the 1st flash. I rebooted already, same sluggish results.
Kazin08 reported exactly the same behaviour in the cm11 thread, with an early Linaro build, on July 18th.
Any idea? I'll try the today's version to see if the performance recovers. If not??
4e4u4abe.jpg

Do games lag?
Do phone lag?

I think its Antutu bug.

I have the same problem but I have a mi2. I have a antutu score of 18000-19000 and even miui lags as hell.
Could be a hw bug who knows :D

I had Antutu 26800 (and v v smooth graphics) using the lastest CM11 nightly before jumping onto the Linaro one.

Even with the v early Linaro (pre-f2fs) I had nice fast, fluid gui handling (I didn't do an Antutu back then).
Only the July 24th version is giving me hell.

I still have a backup of the good CM11 setup, in case the new/coming Linaro version doesn't fix it, then I'll reformat to ext4 and restore. See if I still have the issue there.

Also look at the Storage I/O speed being halved. What could be the cause of that?

Do games lag?
Do phone lag?

I think its Antutu bug.
Could be AnTuTu bug, but Netweaver has a point. I tested with my Mi-2 and my score was arround 15000 which I don't care, but when I installed Super Monkey Ball 2 I can see some lags in 3D graphics.

I know this is a experimental version, and the system it's really fast, no slowdown in app performance, the battery it's better than stock CM, so if I can help just say.

Could be AnTuTu bug, but Netweaver has a point. I tested with my Mi-2 and my score was arround 15000 which I don't care, but when I installed Super Monkey Ball 2 I can see some lags in 3D graphics.

I know this is a experimental version, and the system it's really fast, no slowdown in app performance, the battery it's better than stock CM, so if I can help just say.

Uff,I get 28000 in Antutu if you experience any lags downclock gpu to 400 mhz.

Reactions: woZa and dextructor
Uff,I get 28000 in Antutu if you experience any lags downclock gpu to 400 mhz.
Wow!

Downclocked to 400mhz and tested first in Super Monkey Ball 2, that's fantastic compared to 450mhz. The benchmark in 3D was in 5FPS raised to 35FPS... What an improovement!

Yep bro. I followed your instructions exactly. Even then it didn't work. As I told you before, I am no expert in these things, I wait till it becomes as simple as it is for other ROMs
Did you resize /system partition,ROM wont boot if you dont have it at least 800mb,if you still think its ROM problem give me last_kmsg and logcat.

Sorry for the long post ...

Indeed, after hard fixing the GPU clock down to 400 MHz, I got the old graphics performance back. a bit better actually, due to overall performance tweaks/Linaro toolchain probably. Maybe the default setting for the kernel (as part of the rom) should be 400 MHz and just allow people to overclock when wanted. At least it deserves a big fat entry in the FAQ section of the OP :)

But my Antutu end-score is still only 25929, far from the 28K or 30K some people are seeing. I feel also the phone is more sluggish than when being on CM11 or even on the 1st Linaro version. It shouldn't be like that. This is supposed to be the fastest/most battery friendly kernel/rom. And I support it ! :)

I see my Storage I/O result is still only 882, while I used to have 1229 before. Partly to blame for the lower total Antutu score I guess.

The other real difference now and then (storage realated) is the f2fs partitions. Is it possible things are not smooth there?
I've read here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2697069) that there is a much higher /cache usage with f2fs than with ext4 due to the increased usage of logs, inherent to the filesystem design. Thanks to the repartitionning I now ended up with only 10 MB, Of which 4 MB is used.
This was the (by coincidence probably) the amount the benchmark guy saw when doing the ext4-f2fs comparison when testing with ext4.
When he was testing with f2fs , his /cache usage went up to 114MB. I'm interested to see other people's numbers. Maybe a red herring, just an idea.

I also found this reference to (sub)optimal cache size: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1097464

And this guy didn't think it was worth it, implementing f2fs on Oppo5/Nexus4 (v comparabel to our hardware) http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/q-f2fs-filesystem.16378/#post-211150
But that was just one opinion, maybe other people have real provable experiences.

I also read that the performance of f2fs goes down dramatically when the filesystem is getting fuller because it creates enormous amounts of used 'holes' scattered over the disk, by nature. When in need of larger space than attribuable, instead of using the log based approach it sometimes just writes randomly to the open locations it knows about, depending on the gc process being smart enough or not.
Now I have 495MB free of the 4GB on the userdata partition. And recently I had to remove apps when wanting to install new ones, even if I had still 300 MB left? Maybe related? Here I found the info on the Cleaning process : https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/f2fs.txt. Is this working fine in our implementation?

I also checked using AndroBench my storage performance numbers, if people can also have a look where the difference might be:

Sequential Read (65.88 MB/s) low but maybe as expected with our -known- weak storage subsystem
Sequential Write (1.79 MB/s) v v low
Random Read (8.61 MB/s, 2206.53 IOPS(4K) v v low
Random Write (0.56 MB/s, 143.69 IOPS(4k) v v low

And most important, anyone having any other ideas on to solve it ?

Thanks for all effort so far!

Last edited:
Reactions: espaciosalter20
Just ran antutu for the first time with this ROM. Got a score of 19996. Said poor 2d, average 3d. After reading the posts above I reduced max GPU clock to 400 and got 26897. So looks like mine can't handle the higher speed either...

Been using this ROM for a few days now. Everything seems fine. Fast, smooth, good battery life (compared with miui). Just needed to downclock the GPU to 400. Keep up the good work!

Sorry for the long post ...

Indeed, after hard fixing the GPU clock down to 400 MHz, I got the old graphics performance back. a bit better actually, due to overall performance tweaks/Linaro toolchain probably. Maybe the default setting for the kernel (as part of the rom) should be 400 MHz and just allow people to overclock when wanted. At least it deserves a big fat entry in the FAQ section of the OP :)

But my Antutu end-score is still only 25929, far from the 28K or 30K some people are seeing. I feel also the phone is more sluggish than when being on CM11 or even on the 1st Linaro version. It shouldn't be like that. This is supposed to be the fastest/most battery friendly kernel/rom. And I support it ! :)

I see my Storage I/O result is still only 882, while I used to have 1229 before. Partly to blame for the lower total Antutu score I guess.

The other real difference now and then (storage realated) is the f2fs partitions. Is it possible things are not smooth there?
I've read here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2697069) that there is a much higher /cache usage with f2fs than with ext4 due to the increased usage of logs, inherent to the filesystem design. Thanks to the repartitionning I now ended up with only 10 MB, Of which 4 MB is used.
This was the (by coincidence probably) the amount the benchmark guy saw when doing the ext4-f2fs comparison when testing with ext4.
When he was testing with f2fs , his /cache usage went up to 114MB. I'm interested to see other people's numbers. Maybe a red herring, just an idea.

I also found this reference to (sub)optimal cache size: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1097464

And this guy didn't think it was worth it, implementing f2fs on Oppo5/Nexus4 (v comparabel to our hardware) http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/q-f2fs-filesystem.16378/#post-211150
But that was just one opinion, maybe other people have real provable experiences.

I also read that the performance of f2fs goes down dramatically when the filesystem is getting fuller because it creates enormous amounts of used 'holes' scattered over the disk, by nature. When in need of larger space than attribuable, instead of using the log based approach it sometimes just writes randomly to the open locations it knows about, depending on the gc process being smart enough or not.
Now I have 495MB free of the 4GB on the userdata partition. And recently I had to remove apps when wanting to install new ones, even if I had still 300 MB left? Maybe related? Here I found the info on the Cleaning process : https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/f2fs.txt. Is this working fine in our implementation?

I also checked using AndroBench my storage performance numbers, if people can also have a look where the difference might be:

Sequential Read (65.88 MB/s) low but maybe as expected with our -known- weak storage subsystem
Sequential Write (1.79 MB/s) v v low
Random Read (8.61 MB/s, 2206.53 IOPS(4K) v v low
Random Write (0.56 MB/s, 143.69 IOPS(4k) v v low

And most important, anyone having any other ideas on to solve it ?

Thanks for all effort so far!
Your I\O speed are to low for a f2fs file system. This is what i have with Ext4:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/21/zy4uhuvy.jpg
My screen is broken now, and i m currently with a Sony xperia U. With F2fs i had much better SW and RR.

Did you resize /system partition,ROM wont boot if you dont have it at least 800mb,if you still think its ROM problem give me last_kmsg and logcat.
I didn't resize it, but i thought i will do it once i boot into your ROM. oops... that could be a problem in my case.
How can i do it bro ? i can't follow the instructions given in M1cha's thread or in your post also.... any simple steps to do that ?
Thanks in advance...