[Solved] Encrypted storage on Mi8 with Miui 10 8.7.19

Aybabtu

Members
Aug 31, 2016
Hi, I install the Miui Rom on my Mi8. But, as I lunch the phone on TWRP, the storage was encrypted and I didn't found the image file. Somehow, (I try several twrp (dipper, 3.2.2, 3.2.1)), I was able to get to the image and the installation of the miui rom happened. Since, I had several boot loops, issues to connect to internet to validate my account et finally, it works. But, my storage is still encrypted, I can't take photos (says I need to insert a SD stick), appl note is crashing, I can't update to 8.7.26, no access to TWPR only if I fasboot boot on the recovery.img.
What did i wrong ? How can i resolved everything ? Thank You !

Last edited:
ok.... my guess is that you didn't format the data partition

basic steps (I know you will prob know most of this already):-

Unlock phone bootloader with MiFlash Unlock
Use Fastboot to Install and run TWRP (I'd use version 3.2.1, people have been having odd issues with 3.2.2)
Go to Wipe menu and swipe to clear the normal areas
Format /Data (this will def clear the encryption)
whilst in TWRP, you should still be able to see the phone on your computer - copy the ROM onto the newly cleared down phone
Install ROM
Clear dalvik etc
Reboot and wait, takes some time to go through 1st boot.

ok.... my guess is that you didn't format the data partition

basic steps (I know you will prob know most of this already):-

Unlock phone bootloader with MiFlash Unlock
Use Fastboot to Install and run TWRP (I'd use version 3.2.1, people have been having odd issues with 3.2.2)
Go to Wipe menu and swipe to clear the normal areas
Format /Data (this will def clear the encryption)
whilst in TWRP, you should still be able to see the phone on your computer - copy the ROM onto the newly cleared down phone
Install ROM
Clear dalvik etc
Reboot and wait, takes some time to go through 1st boot.
Is it working from a CN miui 9 ?
I'm thinking about switching from CN9 to eu10

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

I don't know, I haven't received mine yet. :( If and when mine finally arrives (which reminds me I need to chase the supplier tomorrow) I will test and let you know.

My response is based on what I did with my better half's MIX 2s (and I have had plenty of experience flashing ROMs on phones/unbricking etc over the last 8 years). /Data would def need to be formatted prior to installing a Custom rom, to get rid of the encryption.

I would have a good read round these forums before you do anything,

Reactions: halimempower
nothing is working so far !
I try to describe what I do, it must be a mistake somewhere

I'm using a msi computer on linux mint 18.3, I already do this with other xiaomi phones and had no problem.

1. my mi8 is actually on version 8.7.19 miui 10 - no root

2.I activated developper option, usb debugging OK. OEM unlock must be activated or not ? does it matter ?

3. I open a terminal in the folder wich contains recovery.img (dipper)

4. I type : "adb devices" and have an information about my device trough a number => means that my phone is detected ? right ?

5. then I start my devices in fastboot mode ans in the terminal "sudo fastboot devices" i have a another message that detect my phone

6. in the terminal : "sudo fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" - says OKAY, but no reboot

7. I try to reboot into the terminal => not working, the phones goes to a system boot !

8. storage date still encrypted....

Hi,
2 - OEM Unlocking must be enabled!
Type the following commands in adb terminal to install TWRP properly:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
fastboot boot twrp.img
When you enter TWRP in the lower right corner of the Wipe section there is an option FORMAT DATA - click on it and type yes to confirm erasement. Reboot the device to TWRP and copy the rom to your phone. Install the rom and wipe Cache and Dalvik. Reboot to system.
Hope this works!

look what i have

Capture du 2018-07-31 12-08-49.png

ok i've done that
i'll try again
Capture du 2018-07-31 12-40-55.png

Still have "waiting for device" ! pfffffffffff

when I using "sudo" it's working, but when i like to boot in TWRP, the phone boots in system again !

i'll try again with a another TWRP !

Last edited:
yes that's correct, but so far I use "sudo" before each commands and actually i'm downloading the last Miui10 rom. I was able to configure the stuff in TWRP finaly. Now i'v only access to "storage" with an unique folder : "TWRP" is that right ? do i have to copy the rom image in this folder ?

if the phone is in fastboot mode (which I assume it is, if you've done this before - it'll show FASTBOOT on the screen), maybe there's a driver or fastboot issue on the linux workstation.

No need to place the rom in Twrp folder. Place it in the main directory of the phone after you Format data in Twrp.

if the phone is in fastboot mode (which I assume it is, if you've done this before - it'll show FASTBOOT on the screen), maybe there's a driver or fastboot issue on the linux workstation.
that's ok, i have this little bunny guy !

ok so everything works fine i hope. I'm facing now another issue : how to activite you account when it's not possible to fill in the password for wifi ? (i'll try to configure a wifi access without password but it's not possible). why are xiaomi doing this ?

Reactions: jimac
ok so everything works fine i hope. I'm facing now another issue : how to activite you account when it's not possible to fill in the password for wifi ? (i'll try to configure a wifi access without password but it's not possible). why are xiaomi doing this ?
This is another bug - type password for WiFi in miui password, copy and paste it in WiFi password.

that's what i did, and it's done. I'm now recovering my backups and hope it will be well.
werty, thank you very much staying with me until the end, much appreciated this, u're very kind ;)
jimac thanks for your comments and your help cheese :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jimac
that's what i did, and it's done. I'm now recovering my backups and hope it will be well.
werty, thank you very much staying with me until the end, much appreciated this, u're very kind ;)
jimac tanks for your comments and your help cheese :)
No problems ;). You can post a link for the TWRP that you used to help others who have problems. If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask.

It's version 3.2.2 you can find it here : TWRP 3.2.2 for MI 8

My other major problem comes in the fact that i buy Mi Sports Bluetooth Earphones and they are not recognize by my phone : works well on xiaomi MI2, don't undestand but it's not so important for now ! thanx again