[SOLVED] Ok google doesn't work

After you have enabled "ok google" and have it working, restore your original /system/build.prop so "Ok google" seems to keep working and your system is less modified (for example with MI 8 URSA build prop, the face unlocking stops working, maybe it searchs for 3d unlock).

For a less invasive and enabled in Xiaomi.eu builds, i ask the devs (maybe to @ingbrzy ?) to try an implementations inside our beloved eu rom.
Atm i can't do more than this..."dirty hack"...
Yeah, just saw this fix comes with some issues, broke the silent mode and video (with audio) playback too. Did a dirty flash with the latest rom and apparently fixed all the issues and ok google still working :emoji_grin:

so, mi MI8 (dipper) has now the "ok google" working....

is just a test, i've no completely understood what i've changed... what is needed and what not, so keep attenction and make a backup of your files...

this is what i've done:

in /vendor/build.prop
Code:
change
vendor.audio.offload.multiple.enabled=true
to
vendor.audio.offload.multiple.enabled=false

Code:
change
ro.vendor.audio.soundfx.type=mi
to
ro.vendor.audio.soundfx.type=dirac

Code:
Remove this line
persist.vendor.facearea.dom=CN

in /system/etc/device_features/device_features/dipper.xml
Code:
remove these lines

<!--whether support main show XiaoAi-->
    <bool name="support_main_xiaoai">true</bool>

<!--wether support ime xiaoai voice input-->
    <bool name="surpport_ime_xiaoai_voice">true</bool>

then i've copied in my /system/build.prop
the build.prop extracted by MI8 EE

rebooted and "Ok google" can be enabled, once trained i was able to use "ok google".

Now, i'll try to restore as much as possible of the originals /system/build.prop of Mi8 dipper.
Btw now works for me.

Okey i do everything but when i back to my build.drop ok Google didn't work :/
I try to install your zip but for me doesn't work and the camera start crash :(

Yeah, just saw this fix comes with some issues, broke the silent mode and video (with audio) playback too. Did a dirty flash with the latest rom and apparently fixed all the issues and ok google still working :emoji_grin:

Maybe that only the /system/build.prop of ursa is needed, then after the activation of google assistant, we can restore the original build.prop from dipper

The audio problem are related to /vendor/build.prop that i think isn't useful to our scope and broke the audio

Reactions: humrum
Maybe that only the /system/build.prop of ursa is needed, then after the activation of google assistant, we can restore the original build.prop from dipper

The audio problem are related to /vendor/build.prop that i think isn't useful to our scope and broke the audio
Sadly i can't help much more than testing and giving feedback. My knowledge os this kind of stuff is near zero o_O

same here, it's not working for me and now my camera app crashes :/ is there any way of undoing this?

Also just realised, videos and scree animations are now stuttering

Sad to say, but after some hours of rolling back the mod, the ok google was disabled again
same here, it's not working for me and now my camera app crashes :/ is there any way of undoing this?

Also just realised, videos and scree animations are now stuttering
I reflashed the rom.

I've just dirty installed the 8.11.15 rom.... i don't know if was something i've done previously, but now my "ok google" is working

nothing... after about an hour and without any intervention... ok google was disabled again.

I read a lot of your posts online, are you using Xiaomi.eu ROM on Mi 8?
I want to install it if Assistant works.
If you find a solution PM me, I'm Italian and somewhere I saw your screenshot in Italian.

Btw I've noticed if you open settings from Explore function in Assistant and revoke microphone permissions for Google, then in those settings you can see that voices are no more grey, but you can't enable them.

tried both methods... with no change... "voice match" can't be enabled at all (so i think that there are not logcat to analize, because i can't enable voice match).

Btw adding some apks to Xiaomi rom's there is some changes...
https://en.miui.com/thread-4163009-1-1.html
argraur the mantainer of AOSIP and Pixel3Rom for MI 8 Dipper, has found that adding these apk, voice match can be enabled, but it dos't trigger anything.
we had a discussion also there:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/help/google-voice-match-global-stable-9-6-3-0-t3836988

Btw atm on Dipper, something is broken/missing to enable "Ok Google", there is also a thread on google support page for this bug on MI 8:
https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/266936?hl=en

I read a lot of your posts online, are you using Xiaomi.eu ROM on Mi 8?
I want to install it if Assistant works.
If you find a solution PM me, I'm Italian and somewhere I saw your screenshot in Italian.

Btw I've noticed if you open settings from Explore function in Assistant and revoke microphone permissions for Google, then in those settings you can see that voices are no more grey, but you can't enable them.
Assistant works fine, ok google does not.

Is there another way to use ok google? Like an app that constantly record the mic and trigger the assistant with a key word?

You should try to modify build.prop as gulp79 suggested, maybe only the part of code containing "xiaoai" set to false should make it work.
After that don't rollback, who needs Xiao?
I modified build.prop on my old Nexus 6 a year ago to get Assistant before rollout, I've modified device model from Nexus 6 to Google Pixel and it started worked.
Didn't try it yet on Mi 8, but gulp79's solution should be the good one.

Something changed,
now i can retain voice model, but after that, the "voice match" switch can be enabled but it switch back immediately...
so more testing is needed (maybe clean flash, or google data clean and so on.... but today i've no time)

Last edited: