TWRP recovery loop - Mi 10 (umi)

Iain_B

Members
Mar 25, 2013
I've got myself really stuck - cannot get out of the recovery loop!
I think that I have tried everything. I've done a Factory Reset; Format Data; wiped various partitions; Repaired the file system; changed the file system (to EXT4); all the while booting from Fastboot; and loading various ROMS.
I just want to be able to get it running so that I can restore a TWRP backup. Unfortunately a file size stops it being uploaded through TWRP.

Any suggestions to get it simply up and running?
TIA

I've got myself really stuck - cannot get out of the recovery loop!
I think that I have tried everything. I've done a Factory Reset; Format Data; wiped various partitions; Repaired the file system; changed the file system (to EXT4); all the while booting from Fastboot; and loading various ROMS.
I just want to be able to get it running so that I can restore a TWRP backup. Unfortunately a file size stops it being uploaded through TWRP.

Any suggestions to get it simply up and running?
TIA
Replying to my own post ....
I reformated and repaired the data partition, then changed the file system (/data) to f2fs, and then did a factory reset.
I'm not sure which part did it (maybe changing the file system!). This has now allowed a proper re-boot.
Phew!

Yes changing partition type make bootloop so do a format, format recreate all that. U will see in cmd lines where he making f2fs partition and partition tables.

I had trouble with dynamic partitions when I used TWRP (copy ROM file was very very very slow) only CN TWRP work well, this TWRP have same issue?

I had trouble with dynamic partitions when I used TWRP (copy ROM file was very very very slow) only CN TWRP work well, this TWRP have same issue?
I had the chinese (CN) 3.4.2 TWRP, and I downgraded to the 3.4.1 TWRP (through Fastboot).
I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I did it as a precaution.

I had the chinese (CN) 3.4.2 TWRP, and I downgraded to the 3.4.1 TWRP (through Fastboot).
I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I did it as a precaution.
I never recommend to flash TWRP only boot via fastboot (fastboot boot twrp.img), but I ask about opensource TWRP, on CN work well (except ADB Sideload), and CN TWRP, run after second use this command, on first time I have black screen, and I must use physical key, to go into TWRP because adb and fastboot commands don`t work.

I have not experienced that, although sometimes recently I have had to wait quite a long time (black screen?) for a reboot.

If u talk about reboot from os, magisk make longer reboot. They are working on new version of twrp but its much models so they are not so fast :)

If u talk about reboot from os, magisk make longer reboot. They are working on new version of twrp but its much models so they are not so fast :)
That's possibly why then. I do not often mention Magisk because that makes more questions!

Ehhhh I use always fastboot boot TWRP.img .... open source TWRP boot after few seconds, CN TWRP work, but on first time I have black screen, and I must use physical keys to get into fastboot mode again, and I must run command once again, and then work.

Hi All!

My brother's one seems hopeless.

It goes only in fastboot or in the default recovery (with chinese text). There is no way to make it boot the system.

Even when I flash the twrp linked in the first post (but it happens also with the 3.4.2b) when I reboot in recovery the phone it goes in the default recovery, like it did not flash the twrp.

And if I try to boot in recovery from fastboot (FASTBOOT BOOT twrp.img) the phone swicthes off instead than rebooting in twrp.

Do you suggest anything to try?

Last edited:
Hi All!

It goes only in flashboot or in the default recovery (with chinese text). There is no way to make it boot the system.

Even when I flash the twrp linked in the first post (but it happens also with the 3.4.2b) when I reboot in recovery the phone it goes in the default recovery, like it did not flash the twrp.

And if I try to boot in recovery from fastboot (FASTBOOT BOOT twrp.img) the phone swicthes off instead than rebooting in twrp.

[Edit: BTW I am assuming that the phone is a Mi 10 5G - umi]
I downgraded to the 3.4.1b in Fastboot:
fastboot flash recovery MI10_TWRP-3.4.1b-0313_umi.img
and then booted into this recovery:
fastboot boot MI10_TWRP-3.4.1b-0313_umi.img

You may then want to tidy up the data partition, as I did in Post 3.

With the cable plugged into the phone, in Recovery, you can copy files onto the phone through Windows Explorer.
So you can download the ROM to your PC and then copy it to the phone.
You can then install the ROM on the phone.
Don't try anything else like adding Magisk, because that may just complicate things for the moment.
Once you have installed the ROM, you can boot back into the System.
See how that goes.
With luck, you will have a comletely fresh phone!!
:)

Reactions: Mattari
Hi All!

It goes only in fastboot or in the default recovery (with chinese text). There is no way to make it boot the system.

Never try flash TWRP into a device, only boot onetime .... one possible solution is flash Stock Firmware

[Edit: BTW I am assuming that the phone is a Mi 10 5G - umi]
I downgraded to the 3.4.1b in Fastboot:
fastboot flash recovery MI10_TWRP-3.4.1b-0313_umi.img
and then booted into this recovery:
fastboot boot MI10_TWRP-3.4.1b-0313_umi.img

You may then want to tidy up the data partition, as I did in Post 3.

With the cable plugged into the phone, in Recovery, you can copy files onto the phone through Windows Explorer.
So you can download the ROM to your PC and then copy it to the phone.
You can then install the ROM on the phone.
Don't try anything else like adding Magisk, because that may just complicate things for the moment.
Once you have installed the ROM, you can boot back into the System.
See how that goes.
With luck, you will have a comletely fresh phone!!
:)

Thanks for your suggestions, Iain_B.

I downladed and flashed the recovery at this URL (https://unofficialtwrp.com/twrp-3-4-1-root-xiaomi-mi10-umi/)

But it does not change.
When I flash it (fastboot flash recovery MI10_TWRP-3.4.1b-0313_umi.img) everything seems smooth.
But when I try to boot the recovery (fastboot boot MI10_TWRP-3.4.1b-0313_umi.img) the phone switches off and after 20-30 seconds it switches on in fastboot again.

If I force to switch on in recovery (Vol Up + Power) it goes in what it seems to me the default recovery from when I cannot do anything (cf. attached pic.)

1f9248d8-fbba-427f-aa11-941f4290f606.jpg

Another weird thing is that I cannot switch it off permanently. Actually it keeps switching back on by itself.

Any other ideas? Please!

Just to confirm that your phone is a Mi 10, and not a Mi 10 Pro (or other Mi 10)?

I'm assuming that the phone is unlocked as well?
(It shows an open padlock at the top when booting)

Last edited:
Yes. The phone is a Xiaomi MI 10 5G (umi).
It has been unlocked using MI Unlock Tool with a waiting time of 7 days (as usual).

It is strange that the TWRP recovery does not seem to install.
I know that when I fastboot boot into recovery, it seems to boot twice.

When you flash the recovery, do you get a similar response to:
target reported max download size of 805306368 bytes
sending 'recovery' (131072 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.908s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.191s]
finished. total time: 3.117s

and when I boot into recovery:
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 2.916s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.101s]
finished. total time: 3.031s

This is when then TWRP boots, front page flashes briefly, and then seems to reboot, and then go into TWRP proper.

Last edited:
It is strange that the TWRP recovery does not seem to install.
I know that when I fastboot boot into recovery, it seems to boot twice.

When you flash the recovery, do you get a similar response to:
target reported max download size of 805306368 bytes
sending 'recovery' (131072 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.908s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.191s]
finished. total time: 3.117s

and when I boot into recovery:
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 2.916s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.101s]
finished. total time: 3.031s

This is when then TWRP front page flashes briefly, and then seems to reboot, and then go into TWRP proper.

Yes. This is what it displays when I launch those commands. But instead of rebooting in TWRP it reboots in fastboot unless I do not force it.

Well, it seems to be installing the TWRP file, and then booting it, correctly.
I wonder if there is a corruption in one of the files, either in the installation on your computer, or in the TWRP file.

What was it that seemed to trigger the problems on the phone? New ROM? Flashing TWRP? or something else?

I believe that the problem has been triggered when my brother has tried to install the wrong rom (Mi Note 10 one) using XiaoMiTool V2.

Of course he had an error during the installation and at that point he called me.

At that point the recovery (3.4.2b) was installed but when I tried to copy the correct rom the file transfer was hanging at around 30%. No way of copying any rome on it.

So we tried to use the XiaoMiTool V2 restore feature for bricked phone, but after a bit it stopped saying "Flash Modem error".

So it restored the default recovery but now the phone is there and it does not seem to move from that point.

I hope there is some chance to re-life it.

Update: even trying to installing the standard MIUI 12.0.1 global using MiFlash Tool this is the result.

This opens up new areas.
This was suggested higher up, and may now be more relevant to try - that is flashing the stock ROM.
Here is one such place where you can get the Stock ROM. (Get the right one!!)

See how that goes. If it is not successful, then I think that it would be worthwhile starting a new thread, in the overall Mi 10 threads, with a heading along the lines of 'Installed wrong ROM', or 'Tried to install wrong ROM'.
You have given a good description above of what happened, which you can start off with, and then briefly explain that you have tried unsuccessfully to flash TWRP.

Hopefully, the stock ROM will sort it out. See how it goes.

Thank you. But "one such place" does not allow me to download the Mi10 stock rom since both the mirrors say that it has been downloaded too many times today. Sigh......

I cannot find any other mirror. Do you?

Here's a page that gives all the files for the Mi 10. The Fastboot version seems to be zipped (.tgz) and have an installation. It has the instructions underneath.
You would use the Global.
See how this goes.