Updating To Miui 8

Muqri Musa

Members
Sep 13, 2016
I have been trying to update my xiaomi.eu miui 7 rom (it is sold to me with this rom, so its a distributor rom? idk) but i can't seem to. This is what i know about the rom now: (please ask questions if you need information from me to solve this problem)

1. Some said if this rom has been installed it means the phone is already unlocked. I'm not if bootloader is locked again after the distributor installed this rom. However despite xiaomi.eu rom being installed i can't access the recovery by holding the volume down and power button after powering off the device. I found out in the forums of en.miui.com that in order for me to access the recovery i have to have my bootloader unlocked i am confused.

2. I have tried unlocking it, using the Mi Unlock app. I was given permission by xiaomi to do so. At first I was able to log in the Mi Unlock app. Then when trying to unlock my device (i have a Mi5) it stops at 50% and fails at me. So I decided to go into the forums once again idk which forum i went to. I found a suggestion that I should wait a week after that and try again to unlock the device. But after a week when I tried to unlock the device it says that my device is not supported for unlocking. wtf?

3. I tried to install miui 8 using a guide that allows for installation of miui 8 without unlocked bootloader. However I couldn't get the phone to be recognised on my PC after entering edl mode.

4. if i were to try to install miui 8 global rom through fastboot (i havent tried that yet) should i get a fastboot rom or something instead of the global stable rom that is issued in en.miui site?

5. also pokemon go says its not supported on this device, software or OS. but i dont see any complaints in any forums indicating this problem save for some gps problems. Idk what is wrong this device that i have purchase. Please help me out anyone. (i have checked with a root checker that my device is not rooted so i am confused as to why i couldnt play pokemon go)

They installed you an hacked version of .eu ROM from the reseller. Your bootloader is still locked. You need to flash via fastboot a China Dev ROM with miflash tool (on en.miui download section, look for fastboot ROM and not for Recovery one).

Then, boot up your phone, and assure you that you're logged in with your mi account, and register here your Device (check on i.mi.com if everything it's ok).

Then you should be able to unlock the bootloader with the unlock tool.

After that, you will be able to install TWRP recovery and then flash Xiaomi.eu miui8 ROM.

If you don't need .EU ROMs but prefer Global, you can just download fastboot ROM in download section and use the miflash tool.

sent from my Mi5

They installed you an hacked version of .eu ROM from the reseller. Your bootloader is still locked. You need to flash via fastboot a China Dev ROM with miflash tool (on en.miui download section, look for fastboot ROM and not for Recovery one).

Then, boot up your phone, and assure you that you're logged in with your mi account, and register here your Device (check on i.mi.com if everything it's ok).

Then you should be able to unlock the bootloader with the unlock tool.

After that, you will be able to install TWRP recovery and then flash Xiaomi.eu miui8 ROM.

If you don't need .EU ROMs but prefer Global, you can just download fastboot ROM in download section and use the miflash tool.

sent from my Mi5
hi thanks for your reply..
I never thought i had the modified version of the xiaomi.eu rom lol.

Regarding flashing the chinese dev rom via fastboot with miflash tool part, did you mean the chinese dev miui7 rom or the latest miui8 rom? just to make sure so that i wouldn't brick my phone in the process.

Second, i assume i have to unzip the rom? do i have to flash everything that was unzipped or just a specific file (please mention what file i should be flashing).

I have downloaded these:
Miflash tool
chinese developer rom (miui8) [please tell if i have to install miui7 instead of miui8]
global developer rom (miui8)
universalADB
twrp.img (gemini)