Xiaomi MiKey - 3.5mm dust-plug with added functionality

can it work as FM antenna?

It probably can. I use a 3.5mm plug and 3 cm of cable cut from an old headset and the reception is good. So probably the only thing that is needed for the FM radio to work is something to be plugged in the hole. Don't forget that MIUI ROM supports FM radio playback without plugged headphones.

can it work as FM antenna?

@tokkok, i do have one, and used in my brand new Hongmi 1s. It improves a little the radio, but not enough. If you touch the Mickey with your finger, then it can work as an antenna, but.... You are not going to stay like that all the time.

@tokkok, i do have one, and used in my brand new Hongmi 1s. It improves a little the radio, but not enough. If you touch the Mickey with your finger, then it can work as an antenna, but.... You are not going to stay like that all the time.
Should be better if you don't stay on the ground... :)

~Tapatalk~

As commented before, I had been using it for one day and finally....... had removed it.
I had used the translated app, not the latest one and I do not know if the new version is fixing some bugs.

The mikey function is not fully integrated into the miui, as some times it does work from locked and others not. Needs to be improved and added some additional funtions, but I could live with it.

What made me clear to remove it is when the mikey is plugged, the video is not recording audio! Is like he understand there is a headset with mic plugged. The curious thing is that when you do plug it into the phone it does ask you to confirm a mikey or headset. So if you confirm mikey,....why is not recording audio in the video app?

This is my experience, good idea, but needs to be more robust.

David

Hello here is a post that i did on XDA about mikey and others jack dust plug button:

Hello,
I will share my experience and knowledge with you.

First, to this day there is 3 product: the pressy button, the xaiomi mikey, and the klick button:

The first is a well known American kick starter project founded in 2013. To this day they did not delivered their product.

The klick button is a Chinese product founded on a Chinese kick starter equivalent also in 2013. In fact we can't say which is the copy of the two because the website of klick indicate their project started before pressy but their financing campaign was just after the pressy kickstarter. Today their product and app are on the market (you'll have to grab the app on their Chinese website if I remember).

The mikey from Xiaomi is the third "jack button" product to be released on the market. Their app is on Xiaomi forums. You can buy it on ibouyou for example. being the last one it is obviously a copy. To me I can't say the physical difference between the mikey and the klick. But their app are different.

You can check on ausdroid if you're interested in the "who's the original" fight. They did a nice article on it.

On the button themselves the mikey and klick are identical, and the pressy seems thinner when plugged in a phone.. Maybe the real product will be indentical to the others as well...

I bought the Xiaomi mikey.

First of all I have a Xiaomi mi2s running cm11 and mokee. the app works great on both systems. I even tried the klick app and it work too (the app is in english).
Any button work with any app.. Hope it will work with the pressy app too.

So I tried the mikey app and the klick app.

Xiaomi mikey app:
See the screenshots to read all the functionalities.
Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-44-44.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-45-00.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-45-15.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-45-47.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-46-40.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-47-20.png

++Can launch any app in a custom shortcut.
++almost all the shortcuts you would want (some are missing though)
++can launch complex tasks in one shortcut (ex: 1click=take a picture then share it via Google drive)
++ usefull system shortcuts (ex: vibrate mode, auto rotation...)

--no long press integration.
--Wakes up and unlock shortly the phone even when the shortcut does not need it (like vibrate mode). The screen goes directly to the launcher for a few second and goes back to the lock screen.
--no notification bar shortcut, no toogle panel shortcut

Klick app:

See the screenshots to read all the functionalities.
Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-48-35.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-48-50.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-49-17.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-49-58.png Screenshot_2014-05-24-01-51-36.png

++Can launch any app in a custom shortcut.
++Can open the notification bar
++Can launch a custom toogle panel look alike
++Can use complex shortcuts based on combinaison between long and short clicks
+++ DOES NOT BYPASS THE LOCK SCREEN IF THERE IS ONE.

--Does not remember as much shortcuts as the mikey app
--Does not permit the user to use complex tasks
--No system shortcut beside the custom toogle panel.

I personally prefer the mikey app but as you can see, those two apps are not really complete.

All I can hope for the copied pressy guys is to release a wonderfull software to go with the pressy button that combines all the advantages from mikey and klick, and even further more, i'd even pay for the pressy software if it's worth it.
Doing a wonderfull app that you're willing to pay for if you paid the mikey or klick could save them from the others dirt cheap alternatives.

Reactions: vidar and jauling
The same here, none of the MiKey or Klick works on MI2S with M1cha's CM11 (it detects and asks what was inserted, but them MiKey says that device was not recognized and Klick silently doesn't detect clicks), but it does work with MIUI (dualboot). Do you know how to make it run on CM11? Thanks

update: it seems to be issue of the ROM, today I have tested headphones/handsfree and its volume keys are not working correctly (but it does on MIUI) probably CM11 incorrectly interprets/reads those volume buttons as well as MiKey button - going to rise question in M1cha ROM thread

Last edited:
I tested again it does not work on m1cha's cm11.:)I must have messed up with dual boot the first time. It works on mokee witch is a modified cm11 though.

I have realized that MiKey app causes lots of wkaelocks, decreasing battery life. Maybe it will be better integrated in miui so it lets the phone to deep sleep well.
I won't use it for now.

One of the main reasons I returned to WIUI was the use of Mikey. Now it's working, but at the end of the day I do not find it as "smooth" as I'd like it. I find it very difficult to achieve 3 or more clicks and get the result I want. I probably have to tweak something, but my app is in Chinese, do you have any suggestions so i can make it work more smoothly?

Last edited:
Exactly. If you move to the right it will be easier to use long shortcut sequences, you'll have more time to execute your sequence.

i got one myself and it is a very useful gadget... if only it's response time would improve! I hardly use it because it takes forever to start apps - even apps that are running in the background. unfortunately it's a ripoff and quite a bad one too! I'm waiting for improvements. but for now it gets 1/5*