Xiaomi MiKey - 3.5mm dust-plug with added functionality

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi 2 / Mi 2S' started by Wajk, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Wajk

WajkMembers

Jun 29, 2011
    Xiaomi showcased the MiKey, which is basically a 3.5mm plug designed to work with your Xiaomi smartphone. Not only will it protect your smartphone from dust, but it’ll actually act as an accessory using which you can control your device. The design is pretty straightforward — there’s just one button on the plug, which also helps keep it limited in size.
    [​IMG]
    Depending on the number of clicks, certain applications/shortcuts can be assigned. Say for example, you are a sting operator. You require the services of your Xiaomi’s camera on short notice. You can simply assign one click to trigger the camera shutter/video, saving you the time and effort. From what we make from the chart, the MiKey can recognize up to 10 clicks, which you can use to trigger different actions on your Xiaomi smartphone. The Xiaomi MiKey will go on sale starting 8th April for 4.9 Yuan ($0.80), which is perhaps when you can start ordering the accessory from your favourite reseller.
    [​IMG]
    source

type-R and boojay like this.
  2. Wajk

WajkMembers

Jun 29, 2011
    PS: published settings panel very interesting.
    Is this Miui v6? ;)

3. oile

oileMembers

Jul 15, 2013
    Male
    Italy
    I noticed it too yesterday xD thought the same thing!

4. Solf

SolfMembers

Nov 30, 2013
    Male
  5. 1elf1

1elf1Members

Apr 11, 2013
    Male
    Thats cool.

Altrough Pressy was annouced 6 month ago the Xiaomi solution is 1000 times cheaper.
    Pressy costs 20$...

6. radarcontact

Mar 4, 2014
    Male
    Nice! I will definitely get one.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

7. guari

guariMembers

Dec 31, 2013
    Male
    mmm pretty useless in my opinion for 99.9% of the possible usages, it would have been much better if they had made the same thing (jack + app, same price) but with an irda sender/receiver instead of a button.

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

cpasmoi likes this.
  8. Wajk

WajkMembers

Jun 29, 2011
  9. John Young

John YoungMembers

Mar 12, 2014
    oh.are you a chinese....?wajk.

10. ingbrzy

ingbrzyXiaomi.eu Multilang leader
    Staff Member

No.. Google Chrome is...

~Tapatalk~

11. xeGox

xeGoxMembers

Feb 26, 2013
    Male
    It's a pressy clone!
    I'm waiting for a pressy
    I paid it 20

But I really love Mi Key

Sent from Xiaomi Mi-4g ( the "g" is for graveyard not for great )...with tapatalk 26°

12. Sadly people are seriously gonna buy MiKey instead of pressy.
    I'd never buy such a cheeky and unethical clone.

13. xepyonx

xepyonxMembers

Apr 8, 2013
    Male
    Since neither of the companies pay my rent and/or puts food on my table, ethics are thrown out of the window with this much of a price difference.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

14. You still have the choice of not buying the device at all.

15. adrez

adrezMembers

Feb 13, 2014
    Male
    This is going to be a battery drainer not? The app should be listening all time to now if you press the button, I suppose it works using the microphone not?

16. xepyonx

xepyonxMembers

Apr 8, 2013
    Male
    As long as I'm not stealing it's ok by my standards. Also, the price difference is so stupidly large, one has to start thinking of the profit percentage pressy had in mind.

And also; this is what China/Xiaomi does. This is the reason I have a Mi2s and not an HTC One for example. I try to find the best quality for the best price and if Xiaomi offers the exact same product for $0.80 vs Pressy's $27 I would be stealing money from my own pocket.

On a last note; I'm not buying this thing at all, just wanted to voice my thoughts ;)

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

17. hvung1982

hvung1982Members

Jul 7, 2013
    Im a true fan of MIUI and Xiaomi but I dont know why Xiaomi release a clone like that. It is not good :(

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

18. UserC

UserCMembers

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    The functionality of Pressy and MiKey aren't anything new, basically just using a standard that has existed long before them.
    I doubt that there is anything patentable about it at all. The patent system is pretty ridiculous too. If you invent something then it's not wrong for someone else to build on that idea. Not to mention that in the overpriced Pressy case, it was obvious from the get-go that competitors would make a more affordable product. Pressy have made enough of a profit from their hugely overpriced presell, perhaps if they hadn't kept delaying the actual release of Pressy, they'd be at a better position right now, not that their current position isn't good.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

19. jacov

jacovMembers

Oct 14, 2013
    Male
    Hopefully for you, no one will steal your ideas, or find a cheaper replacement at your work.

M1cha likes this.
  20. ingbrzy

ingbrzyXiaomi.eu Multilang leader
    Staff Member

Xiaomi is not first who stole idea.. Just media made it big..

Check http://helloklick.com/

There are lot of pressy alternatives on dx or aliexpress..

~Tapatalk~

21. Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/xiaomi-pressy-clone/

I hope that they'll be able to prevent xiaomi from selling their clone.

22. shocks

shocksMembers

Feb 6, 2014
    Male
    Student
    Taiwan
    in my opinion, it is very difficult to patent a device accesories. i mean, it is not far different like any other phone accesories but with an extra function. if each of those accessories has their own patent, it will be difficult to build a competitor. and this is the main control of price. yes, if there is no competitor, the company will feel free to set any price. the different price of Pressy and Mikey is one of the proof. i think better for pressy to patent their functionality, and for the apps.

23. jacov

jacovMembers

Oct 14, 2013
    Male
    Pressy are new, they work in the west, they have expances, that are quite higher then a founded company that don't patent her products, that have existing assembly lines.

Say, what's the price for ''piston earphone''?

24. tokkok

tokkokMembers

Feb 23, 2014
    can it work as FM antenna?

25. Where I can get the Mi Key Press apk for my MI3?

(I don't have original xiaomi market installed)

Share Our Site