Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange.

I wonder if apks in that directory have to be signed with the same shared key that all apks in the folder are. All the previous APKs in there were made by Xiaomi and share the same key. Maybe the system requires that key and ignores all others. Otherwise it would be pretty easy to forge an unauthorized install.

Doesn't make sense though, how it works for about 80% of people.
There is only one way to find out.
Add chinese bloat to the /data/media/preinstall_apps folder
If that installs but google keyboard doesn't than it has to be something with the app

There is only one way to find out.
Add chinese bloat to the /data/media/preinstall_apps folder
If that installs but google keyboard doesn't than it has to be something with the app

The thing is, my MI2 installs any apk in that folder. Is USB debugging enable on your phone? Or developer mode? Maybe its related to developer settings.

The thing is, my MI2 installs any apk in that folder. Is USB debugging enable on your phone? Or developer mode? Maybe its related to developer settings.
I volunteer to try :)

Well I just disabled developer settings and tried again, but still doesn't work.

Okay. Do you have a gplus account? We will carry on some major discussion via google plus talk hangout.
Tried a chinese MIUI.
Chinese bloat doesn't install on my device either.
Will send a pm with my email

Tried a chinese MIUI.
Chinese bloat doesn't install on my device either.
Will send a pm with my email

Strange. So it is not the following

- recovery
- signing
- permissions
- chmod
- version -> version
- phone (mi2 / mi2a /mi2s all affected)
- randomly, only about 30% affected

What keyboard did you have prior to the upgrade?

Just a wild guess: could it be due to a critical run, where the data partition, for some reasons, is not yet mounted during the preinstall-apps check?

Just a wild guess: could it be due to a critical run, where the data partition, for some reasons, is not yet mounted during the preinstall-apps check?

I checked that, the apk is correctly installed and even validates the same MD5 as the one locally. More research.

adb install keyboard.apk = good
pm install keyboard.apk = Failed (can't read manifest).

(on CM)
pm install keyboard.apk = good

There must be a modified package manager inside MIUI to only allow its applications to be installed, but for some phones it tends to ignore this check all together. Since we install the same executable on ROM, it seems there is an underlying check. Since we don't have the source to look into it, I'm not looking through java bytecode to find anything.

So there has been 0 progress besides eliminating about 200 scenarios all of which still leave me exhausted and out of options.

is OTA working for anyone using the non-Multilang? My mi2s updater still tells me 3.8.16 is latest...

Ok I had the same problem with the keyboard so I
Copied the apk from the /data/media/preinstall_apps to an sd folder and installed it
I have a Mi2S multilang

Thanks for work, but keyboard doesnt work and not possible install any keyboard software from PlayStore. I return to previous version 3.8.16.
MI 2A

So my phone works well to a point. My wife's doesnt. (we both have i9100).

Both have a new google keyboard icon - which force closes on start (settings for it also force close) no reboots or cache cleaning seem to solve the issue (good thing for us is that we use a different keyboard).

Upon restart - icons are out of their place - on different screens etc. It happens only on her phone - but then again - we are running the same settings, same phone (except for the arrangement of the icons)....

sorry to say but this release is the first of many for me - which I wanted to downgrade.

The downgrade was unsuccessful btw as well - so until the next version comes out - we won't be rebooting much - coz it's an icon mess.

To iBotPeaches
I don't know if it's relevant, but when I went into recovery and rebooted to 3.8.16
I had the keyboard but I couldn't get into settings

It will be when it's done or I have time.

Wysłane z Xiaomi MI 2

Status
Not open for further replies.