New Fail to restore calls/contacts/messages on HyperOS 1.0 (regression from stock)

BlackRaven86

Members
Aug 6, 2024
com.miui.backup version 6.5.1.0
Xiaomi 14 Global
Tested on both stable and DEV versions:
- HOUJI_OS1.0.42.0.UNCCNXM_14
- HOUJI_OS1.0.24.7.28.DEV_14

I try to use the "Settings -> My Device -> Back up and restore" application to restore my backups on a clean phone. I've figured out that the restore of Call history, Contacts and Messages works not in all cases.

When the restore doesn't work one can see that only several kilobytes has been restored, instead of number of calls/contacts/messages:
com.miui.backup-edit_restored.jpg

Usually it works if one select calls/contacts/messages and all "Other system app data" group:
com.miui.backup-edit_selection.jpg

Reproduce:​

The issue usually can be reproduced on a clean phone with partial selection of "Other system app data" or none of this group and a single calls/contacts/messages. I also restored just calls and contacts and after that restore of messages won't work.

If any of calls/contacts/messages failed to restore, then it will become broken and won't be restored with any other restore attempt.

Attached an adb logcat output for failed restore attempt. Seems this part is related:
07-28 06:49:16.314 12620 12671 V Backup:FullBackupAgent: onRestoreFile type = 1 domain = miui_meta path = cache/_tmp_meta 07-28 06:49:16.326 12620 12671 E FullBackup: Unable to create/open file /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.android.contacts/cache/_tmp_meta 07-28 06:49:16.326 12620 12671 E FullBackup: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.android.contacts/cache/_tmp_meta: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)

There are no such error on stock ROM and restore works without manual permission's change; tested on OS1.0.11.0.UNCRUXM_14.0.

Could be possibly related to this: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...s-in-hyperos-1-0-regression-from-stock.73733/

Workarond:​

I also found a workaround: make a single backup all "Other system app data" group selected and then restore works - seems it initializes some missing data.

Attachments

• log_houji_OS1.0.24.7.28.DEV.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 32
Sadly i can't help with this method but i also have Xiaomi 14 Houji and i always backup with Xiaomi Cloud Backup (also restores your home screen layout) and using google backup (when you scroll down and go on google, there should be an option to make a backup of your phone)