New K9 Email Not Checking Email In Background

Andy Marden

Members
Aug 10, 2016
I moved to the weekly MIUI ROM on my Xiaomi Note Pro after trying the Mokee ROMs (they ar enot ready yet - too many crashing apps and the sound over USB is awful). Everything was fine except that my K9 mail app would not check for email in the background - either polling or IMAP push.

I searched lots of possible solutions until I stumbled across one - in the Battery and Performance settings there is Manage Apps Battery Usage. Power Saving Mode is defaulted to ON with all Apps set to the Recommended MIUIBattery Saver.

The effect of this is that the OS decides which apps are important enough to run in the background properly. It seems K9 mail is not included in that list. Setting the Power Saving Mode to OFFhas fixed the problem.

How can a setting which basically says "we might silently stop your app doing things in the background and not tell you about it" be set to ON?! For heaven's sake someone please change the default to OFF or issue some kind of warning. Technically it may not be a bug but it is SO counterintuitive that it essentially counts as one.

Posting this here in the hope also that some other poor sod doesn't suffer the same extended pain trying to work this out themselves.