Mi 5 Video Quality - Any Updates Simce Original Release?

d123p

Members
Jun 28, 2017
hello, was there any software / os update to video quality for mi5 since the phone was originally launched?
considering buying this one, but all the reviews based on original os / software with which the phone was launched were stating that despite great hardware, the quality of video and especially sound in video is very inferior...

Wait for MIUI 9, but by the time MI 5 might already be out of stock as it is out of production now. I don't really have any complaint with the video quality, footage looks good, quite stable thanks to OIS and the 96 Kbps audio is recorded stereo, but that could be insufficient for some people.

Audio recording quality would be ok if it didn't lack bass... No other problem with it.
Pisses me off when trying to record videos of my turbo Subaru with custom exhaust :-(

Hi,

you can increase the bitrate of video recording by editing "media_profiles.xml" in /etc
Best is to edit the file in the PC and then copy it to the mobile phone, correct file permissions and reboot.

I have also switched video encoding from h264 to h265 (HEVC) so you can play also with that.

Example of 4K profile:

<EncoderProfile quality="high" fileFormat="mp4" duration="30">
<Video codec="hevc"
bitRate="42000000"
width="3840"
height="2160"
frameRate="30" />

<Audio codec="aac"
bitRate="156000"
sampleRate="48000"
channels="2" />
</EncoderProfile>

Bitrate is default (42MB/s) but encoding is not h264 but hevc which practically mean 2x better quality....

I have tried to increase 4K bitrate up to 64000000 for h264 and 50000000 for the hevc, it works but you must have HW which is able to play such a massive files.

You can use OpenCamera app with "Camera api 2" enabled in settings to change the video recording bitrate without editing media_profiles.xml, but for switch from h264 to hevc you have to edit the file.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrei80
That is brilliant. If it works, of course...I would record 1080p hevc with lower bitrate. I sometimes transcode bigger videos from the phone using the PC and hevc anyway, to make them smaller

Last edited: