Mi4 Lte Ramdom Reboots [with Logs]

20hr without reboots with battery management off.

c74b972f5597832fafd6f102e084318e.jpg

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk

Which ROM, 6.8.4 Global Beta or Xiaomi.eu?
6.8.4 xiaomi.eu
Full wipe, cache, dalvik and data.
No backup restore.

In first place I flashed the room and wipe cache and dalvik, and had a reboot after 6 hr of intense use (but, while charging)

Enviado desde mi MI 4LTE mediante Tapatalk

Does anybody know if all files in the rom get flashed when using twrp to install/update like modem, bootloader etc?

I read that some only get flashed with fastboot roms but maybe it's not the case.

Reactions: jc rey
I was wondering this too. If updater script is the only navigator for flashing then I'd say not everything gets flashed. Surest way imo would be to fastboot flash the corresponding official rom version then flash .eu based on same version afterwards.

Anyway I flashed my gf's phone with .eu 7.5.3.0 (with some minor customization) over china stable 7.5.6.0 and 2 days no reboots yet. But auto rotate screen isn't working lame.

edit: Nevermind I checked cpu configs from KK are identical apart from battery monitor settings which aren't there anymore in MM. Perhaps it's got something to do with MM's new doze feature.

In 6.8.4 they have re-added the battery monitoring stuff to the cpu thermal config.

In 6.8.4 they have re-added the battery monitoring stuff to the cpu thermal config.
I think they just didn't fix it in this release. Even if they tried as suggested by the First changelog, the results are not there. Maybe next week... It should be the last dev before the actual release of the stable Miui 8...

Inviato dal mio MI 4LTE utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: NOECUBI
Very interesting. If that's the only thing they did then what a lazy "fix" :p Makes you wonder why this was removed in the first place.

Got another reboot on 6.8.4 after 20 hrs of uptime. The problem is real, still I don't understand how hard could it be for devs to Get to the bottom of it considering how many phones are affected...

6.8.4 xiaomi.eu, no reboot at 50h, still up.

My walk-through on this device mi4 3/16 wcdma:
Miflash global 7.1.2
Let Ota to 7.5.1
Mi recovery 6.7.29
Ota 6.8.2
Twrp flash, then wipe cache dalvik 6.8.4 xiaomi.eu.

Envoyé de mon MI 4W en utilisant Tapatalk

With 6.8.4 2nd & 3rd cpu core are permanately off no matter which profile you choose, balanced/performance.

Performance profile puts 4th core to max freq while the 1st stays more or less idle.

Don't know what they are doing but by the looks of it they think these reboots have to do with heat, I don't agree at all as they nearly alwasy only happen while phone is idle and not under heavy stress.

On a side note we should get better battery life on this build at the expense of performance.

Phone reboots in idle even if i don't pick it up for hours, while playing games with the device super hot does not cause a reboot. Heat is not the key, maybe a stabilty issue from cpu frequencies/voltage?

Phone reboots in idle even if i don't pick it up for hours, while playing games with the device super hot does not cause a reboot. Heat is not the key, maybe a stabilty issue from cpu frequencies/voltage?

Not convinced about frequency/voltage problem but a bug in kernel that is not being found for some reason, something that kicks in when idle like trim or something.

Mine has rebooted before while uninstalling or installing an app from the play store so maybe the assumption of the partition merge problem is correct or atñeast along the lines of a storage/memory bug.

I know it's been said before but it's strange how Cyanomodgen is also affected when they have most code updated to recent releases from AOSP/Qualcomm/Codeaurora.

Last edited:
Reactions: giobooo
Changelog for beta 6.8.8 came out on beta team forum... I wonder what's in it. They could have brought back the fix they left out in this beta...

Reactions: Gingernut
Could be a cache problem as it's constantly in use and it had to be chnged quite a bit for MM. Which kind of brings us back to partitions.

I'm inclining for partitions also but I've also been reading up on other devices that have had random reboot issues in the past like the OnePlus One, they had like four guys debugging and serching for the issue for a few weeks then they issued a radio driver update, also there was a problem when the OnePlus was first released and that the user partition was getting corupt.

Users were also getting logs from their phones live adb logging all the time, you have to leave your phone connected to a computer the whole time waiting for a reboot.

Possibly partition coruption is our problem and comes from the way the different parts of the rom gets written to each partition or maybe just an incompatible app for Marshmallow we have installed, I did see in my log alot of errors due to Poweramp so I have uninstalled it.

Another thing is the time our device has been on the market, more than likely Xiaomi has only one engineer working on it now which slows down debugging this stuff alot.

Has anybody tried installing a fastboot rom in emergency download mode (EDL)?

AFAIK the files are included in the fastboot image.

I cannot leak it as per agreement sorry.
But I still do not reboot on xiaomi.eu 6.8.4 installed over 6.8.2 global rom.

Envoyé de mon MI 4W en utilisant Tapatalk

I know, they'll kick you off the team.

I haven't had a reboot on 6.8.4 either since restoring a backup and updating but I did check and they have capped cpu performance hard.

Reactions: jc rey