Mi4 Lte Ramdom Reboots [with Logs]

Did anybody here ever try CM12.1 and did they get reboots?

Also has anybody tried changing selinux settings in Miui 8?

Can anybody tell me what selinux mode is set in Miui 8, permissive or enforced?

You can check in system info.

Last edited:
Thinking about it shouldn't the Mi Note have the exact same reboot problem?
Why? We are not sure of what's causing this. I honestly think that partitioning has nothing to do with this. I still suspect some kind of fault in the kernel. Have you been able to interpret the logs you guys captured?

Why? We are not sure of what's causing this. I honestly think that partitioning has nothing to do with this. I still suspect some kind of fault in the kernel. Have you been able to interpret the logs you guys captured?

It has the exact same spec as the Mi4LTE

Have you tried changing base cpu frequencies with kernel auditor or similar? Plus what about the fact that not all 4 cores are ever active?

Are you sure about 2 cores being always shut off?

They should be off line only when not needed, same as in 7.1.5.

You can set it to performance then with kernel auditor change the cpu governor back to interactive, and gpu governor back to msm-adreno.tz, supposedly this stops the reboots.

Are you sure about 2 cores being always shut off?

They should be off line only when not needed, same as in 7.1.5.

You can set it to performance then with kernel auditor change the cpu governor back to interactive, and gpu governor back to msm-adreno.tz, supposedly this stops the reboots.
I'm on the latest 7.3 stable as the 7.5.3.0 presents an accelerometer bug for me. I've tried with benchmarks and it looks like only two cores are available, the others stay offline. This bug has also been reported on en.miui.com - honestly i'm struggling to find a rom that presents no problems at all.

With MM on balance mode only 2 cores are active while 1 is on standy, the cpu usage is extremley high. In performance mode 3 are active, much lower cpu usage. But 1 is always disabled no matter the mode you choose.

edit: Oh also 7.1.5.0 is based on developer 6.3.31, no idea why they would call this stable because it was a crappy release. I'm not surprised reboots happen there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArkoBalear
With MM on balance mode only 2 cores are active while 1 is on standy, the cpu usage is extremley high. In performance mode 3 are active, much lower cpu usage. But 1 is always disabled no matter the mode you choose.

edit: Oh also 7.1.5.0 is based on developer 6.3.31, no idea why they would call this stable because it was a crappy release. I'm not surprised reboots happen there.

Is this also on Ivan rom? I have reached 4 days without reboots and everything working fine. Performance mode on developer options is normal

EDIT: I have checked with MultiCore CPU Free (root) and it use all cores if needed.

Last edited:
It could very well be that all must be "active" and no reboots happen. Perhaps they botched something while setting this stuff in new miui's.

@Gingernut says the cores can be activated manually by editing a few configs. Perhaps someone could try this. Maybe a simple cpoy/paste of the settings from some stable KK rom. Let's hope it's that simple. :)

edit: Nevermind I checked cpu configs from KK are identical apart from battery monitor settings which aren't there anymore in MM. Perhaps it's got something to do with MM's new doze feature.

Last edited:
It could very well be that all must be "active" and no reboots happen. Perhaps they botched something while setting this stuff in new miui's.

@Gingernut says the cores can be activated manually by editing a few configs. Perhaps someone could try this. Maybe a simple cpoy/paste of the settings from some stable KK rom. Let's hope it's that simple. :)

edit: Nevermind I checked cpu configs from KK are identical apart from battery monitor settings which aren't there anymore in MM. Perhaps it's got something to do with MM's new doze feature.

Maybe the battery monitoring code is needed. I think it's present in CM13's thermal.conf.

Can you check if thermald-8974.conf is also in MM?

Maybe the battery monitoring code is needed. I think it's present in CM13's thermal.conf.

Can you check if thermald-8974.conf is also in MM?
No there's no such file with MM. Could be that something else is doing the battery monitoring.

What i noticed is that 7.3.3.0 reboots way more than 7.5.2.0 - i guess something is different...

What bugs me is the randomness of the reboots. Sometimes more sometimes less often. For example my gf's phone didn't reboot for 4 days but today it did. I thought maybe because she doesn't have an alarm active on vacation that this somehow made a difference but no such luck.

If it really has something to do with battery/cpu temperature and downclocking the cpus when idle, this could be very problematic to fix, especially because of different brands of batteries and possibly other hardware in these mi4 phones.

Reactions: jc rey
What bugs me is the randomness of the reboots. Sometimes more sometimes less often. For example my gf's phone didn't reboot for 4 days but today it did. I thought maybe because she doesn't have an alarm active on vacation that this somehow made a difference but no such luck.

If it really has something to do with battery/cpu temperature and downclocking the cpus when idle, this could be very problematic to fix, especially because of different brands of batteries and possibly other hardware in these mi4 phones.
Still... The problem was not there with early kitkats builds so there's a way to make it work properly. Do we know if devs are actually looking into it?