Mi4 Lte Ramdom Reboots [with Logs]

Have you used your GPS for hours?
My mi4 was burning with the GPS last Tuesday and it can't locate property.
I will test it one more time...

Sent from my MI 4LTE using Tapatalk
GPS on 2 times during travels of 3 h non stop.
Screen on, application I coyote, 33% battery drop for 3h
Location was fast and accurate.

If it's working then I have another theory. What if the motion/proximity sensors are the culprit?
I've been researching a bit while trying to find a fix for rotation and it seems it's also related to a lot of stuff bluetooth/gps included.
If memory serves @jc rey method was to fastboot flash 7.1.2.0 KK then OTA to 7.5.1 and so on. What OTA and normal package update flashing doesn't do is flash/overwrite the persist.img (which is for sensors among other things) because it's not included, only fastboot flashing does.
Basically he was left with KK sensors imo. I've also tried this, flashed KK's persist.img over MM and rotation works or you can use other methods.
I just don't know if anything else gets broken with using KK's persist.img yet but if this is the case we might have an easy fix.
If anyone is willing to try this?

Reactions: jc rey
I just don't know if anything else gets broken with using KK's persist.img yet but if this is the case we might have an easy fix.
If anyone is willing to try this?

I could try. So I should just flash the persist img from the 7.1.2.0? How? Fastboot?

Yes you just can do "fastboot flash persist persist.img" and reboot. But make sure you have the original too in case something goes wrong.
You can back it up to for example internal storage sdcard by going adb shell then dd if=/sdcard/persist.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 and you'll have it saved as persist.img in storage.

Yes you just can do "fastboot flash persist persist.img" and reboot. But make sure you have the original too in case something goes wrong.
Cool, thanks. Do you think i Need to wipe cache after flashing persist?

No, you don't need to.

I just wonder at what version did rotation get broken, maybe we can find a MM persist that works and possibly increase compatibility.

I just realized that in the last flashing (full wipe, no backup restore), do not logging on MI account. It may have something to do with?

My wife's Mi4 does not log in to a MI account and still experiences reboots - she is on 7.5.2.0

Tested, rotation well works @130h

Envoyé de mon MI 4W en utilisant Tapatalk
I will not update weekly tomorrow to let the test run. So will stay 6.8.4, targeting 500h we will see.

Envoyé de mon MI 4W en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: NOECUBI
You can back it up to for example internal storage sdcard by going adb shell then dd if=/sdcard/persist.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 and you'll have it saved as persist.img in storage.

Ok flashed 7.1.2.0 KK persist over 7.3.3.0 MM and sensors are not working anymore...

Edit: it's working now...

Last edited:
What i noticed is that persist.img never gets flashed in fastboot flash. So, what's up with that? Do we all have an old persist partition on our phones? Plus if I flash persist.img without root permission sensors stop working... as soon as i flash supersu everything is back to Normal.

Same observations here, big battery hit after reboot and my lock screen wallpaper gets reset to default.
This sounds a lot like cache issues to me. My gf's reboot does around a 4% battery drain. You guys get a bigger drain?
Got about a 15% drain last night after the reboot, the battery graph just drops straight down with no curve at all, but it finally recovers to normal without a reboot in my case.

I'm not talking about this drop, although I too have a few % drop on reboot.
What I see on top of that is a big change in actual battery consumption, that can be seen in the slope.

What i noticed is that persist.img never gets flashed in fastboot flash. So, what's up with that? Do we all have an old persist partition on our phones? Plus if I flash persist.img without root permission sensors stop working... as soon as i flash supersu everything is back to Normal.
Yeah my mistake it actually never gets flashed in either case normal or fastboot. So don't really know what to conclude from this but as you can see it is kind of important for sensors.
It's weird that you needed root, at first I just uploaded via adb shell and it worked without root also. I only tried KK's persist.img maybe MM's works also but we just need to upload/flash it at all.

Regarding doze mode I've mention this too some time ago, from what I've read if apps aren't coded properly for doze mode, they can constantly interfere and keep waking the phone or rather prevent it to use doze mode properly, which I guess could cause reboots. But I kind of doubt miui botched this.

I don't know why but I have a good feeling about this sensor thing. From what I understand persist contains calibration data of onboard chips like camera, wifi, bt and so on, so it could very well be our culprit. I just hope not a lot of stuff gets broken by using KK's persisit.

I don't know why but I have a good feeling about this sensor thing. From what I understand persist contains calibration data of onboard chips like camera, wifi, bt and so on, so it could very well be our culprit. I just hope not a lot of stuff gets broken by using KK's persisit.

I have not seen any difference with KK persist. Still one strange thing is that if a type "fastboot erase persist" with supersu flashed sensors are still working, while if i do without root they stop working. If I flash root again they come back to life. What i was thinking is that flashing supersu actually unpacks, repacks and reflashes boot Image so maybe sensors calibration data are also in boot Image... Don't know. How do I delete the persist partition from adb?

With adb shell you can delete /dev/block/mmcblk0p21 this is the persist partition if you're on MM and mmcblk0p22 if you're on KK.

Well I can scratch the sensors theory, the phone rebooted before my eyes. I was rearranging icons on screen and it rebooted while I was dragging the icon. Rom is 7.5.1.0 global stable over 7.5.6.0 china. I also tested 7.5.6.0 persist and rotation doesn't work.

I'll try it because my GPS don't work well.
Something happened in my mi4 when I updated to 6.8.4 because I have 157 hours without reboots.

Mi4 6.8.4 had reboot during charge at 160h. Happened battery was full like in 6.7.29. My test is done, it is failing.
Installed 6.8.11 global rom + root.

Envoyé de mon MI 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

I'll try it because my GPS don't work well.
Something happened in my mi4 when I updated to 6.8.4 because I have 157 hours without reboots.

If you could let it run more...

OK. I'll test it more time.

Do you leave your device on full charge overnight or just during the day with partial charges then unplug? I realize my reboots occurred when charge was full, still plugged , idle.