Resolved [RESOLVED] Google play system update breaking system on venus

kearmau5

Members
Oct 19, 2019
the google play system update is getting downloaded automatically and breaking camera, sound, haptics, flash and no social media app can load photos or videos, on latest 14.0.10.0 for my mi11(venus)
each time i need to format data for this issue which wastes my time making backup each time.
is there any way i can disable this service or at least block it from downoading and istalling the update ????
here is a logcat of the activities that happen during the crash : logcat

Last edited:
I actually did some diagnosing and analyzing the logcat, after some long headaches, i found the file causing this mess from the beginning, so each time google play store system update automatically downloads the update , it stores it inside "/data/apex/active/" with the file name : "com.android.media.swcodec(at)340818112.apex" so i had to remove it from there, the system restores to its stable state.
maybe this is not a practical solution as the google play store system update can anytime download it automatically but, it solves the problem of wiping data each time.

*Note: if you rebooted your device and noticed that it made a double boot, that means it downloaded that file again in the background, just hurry to recovery and delete it , because it will take forever to boot and waste your time.

**Note: for users who doesn't have root privileges, you can do the same thing using twrp recovery!

Attachments

• 1696354146871.jpg
    1696354146871.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 2,812
Last edited:
I've lost the full day because of that (wiping data, etc..)
So I've followed your instructions (I've deleted the file in twrp because my Xiaomi 13 is not rooted), retarted, and all is working again!
Thank you!!

Reactions: kearmau5
I have a Poco F5 Pro (Brazil), with the xiaomi.eu Mondrian ROM (Redmi K60). During this week my device also started to show the defects described here (camera, flashlight, videos on Instagram and YouTube, etc., nothing works...). I have root access and within the /data/apex folder there are several subfolders... In my case, the closest to "com.android.media.swcode(at)340818112.apex" (MI11) is "com.android. media.swcode(at)340922012"... Try deleting this folder through Explorer (with root), but it doesn't delete it. Try rebooting into TWRP, but it only sees the entire APEX folder, and does not see subfolders. So I don't know how to continue. Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
I have a Poco F5 Pro (Brazil), with the xiaomi.eu Mondrian ROM (Redmi K60). During this week my device also started to show the defects described here (camera, flashlight, videos on Instagram and YouTube, etc., nothing works...). I have root access and within the /data/apex folder there are several subfolders... In my case, the closest to "com.android.media.swcode(at)340818112.apex" (MI11) is "com.android. media.swcode(at)340922012"... Try deleting this folder through Explorer (with root), but it doesn't delete it. Try rebooting into TWRP, but it only sees the entire APEX folder, and does not see subfolders. So I don't know how to continue. Can anyone help me?
Try mounting all partitions inside of your recovery and redo tge steps
If not then flash magisk delta 26, delete the file via MT. manager, then uninstall it to remove root,
There is no way around this but those two methods

I don't if it's due to what we have done or not done, but voice in Google Maps is totally mute (it isn't a big deal but well...)

I've lost the full day because of that (wiping data, etc..)
So I've followed your instructions (I've deleted the file in twrp because my Xiaomi 13 is not rooted), retarted, and all is working again!
Thank you!!
Hi, I am Sun from Thailand. I would like to ask you how to delete that file in twrp, because now I currently have the problem look like as you faced that I cannot access the camara app and cannot touch to open the picture and all app which have camara or photo I cannot use too (ex. ig, netflix, video in facebook). I used Xiaomi13 and MIUI14 (ROM EU) and not root same as you mentioned. I found this problem since in the morning in spite of yesterday my phone working normally.

Thank you so much for your advice.
Sun

Hi, I am Sun from Thailand. I would like to ask you how to delete that file in twrp, because now I currently have the problem look like as you faced that I cannot access the camara app and cannot touch to open the picture and all app which have camara or photo I cannot use too (ex. ig, netflix, video in facebook). I used Xiaomi13 and MIUI14 (ROM EU) and not root same as you mentioned. I found this problem since in the morning in spite of yesterday my phone working normally.

Thank you so much for your advice.
Sun
In twrp, in advanced menu, there is a file manager. The path is given above, select the file and delete it. Good luck!

I am on eu stable. No root no TWRP. is there another way to delete this? I am desperated!

I think that rom for my fuxi is hybrid. And if it is hybrid what can I do? I am not an expert. Can you help me?
If you are on a hybrid rom then you should be able to have twrp installed, if not then you should have it
By flashing it via ADB fastboot

If you are on a hybrid rom then you should be able to have twrp installed, if not then you should have it
By flashing it via ADB fastboot
I don't have twrp. Can I flash it without loose my data? Without any other problems?

I don't have twrp. Can I flash it without loose my data? Without any other problems?
Flashing TWRP does not affect Data - but it could brick device if not performed properly. And the methods vary by devices types - recognize your device and follow:
Good luck

It would be really safer if you had custom Recovery (not necessarily TWRP, it can be also eg Orange Fox) installed by the hybrid ROM

Or install Magisk and do it with a proper root explorer (MiXPlorer)

Thank you very very much guys! I will try tomorrow.
If I had problem I will ask again for your help.
I am desperate, my phone is in bad condition.
Fortunately I can make and receive calls of course without ringing.

the google play system update is getting downloaded automatically and breaking camera, sound, haptics, flash and no social media app can load photos or videos, on latest 14.0.10.0 for my mi11(venus)
each time i need to format data for this issue which wastes my time making backup each time.
is there any way i can disable this service or at least block it from downoading and istalling the update ????
here is a logcat of the activities that happen during the crash : logcat
is there literally no way to fix this issue without deleting the system update file every single time? can't any eu devs do anything about it?

is there literally no way to fix this issue without deleting the system update file every single time? can't any eu devs do anything about it?
Looks like if you use a stable ROM built before Sept 13 2023 then you need to switch to beta/weekly. As I understand in this thread all he ROMs built after this date should be safe. You can also try to switch off Google Play Services System updates in settings, but in my opinion that doesn't give you any guarantee GPS won't try to still install a patch anyway.