Server Maintenance (caching/apache)

MarkHUK

Site Founder
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Hi everyone,

I will be doing some maintenance to the xiaomi.eu server this week which may see some small disruptions for a few minutes at a time.

I am going to be upgrading some aspects of the Caching and Multi-processing modules for Apache... Later down the line we will be moving all caching to the NGINX platform and Apache will serve as a proxy handler.

The upgrades should see better loads times and speedier page loads as well. Right now we score well for pagespeed but I'd like to squeeze more out of the server.

Thanks,

Mark

Let me know how the speed is for you and also location you are browsing from please :)

Let me know how the speed is for you and also location you are browsing from please :)

Works ok just now.

In the winter I was often having problems loading the site at all in Firefox on a Win10 tablett. It would complain about the site not having correct credentials or something, don't recall, then after a while it would work again, though very slowly.

In Firefox on Android there was never this problem.

This was in Sweden and Latvia over various mobile connections, no fiber.

Currently roaming in Latvia on the Swedish operater Tre via Latvian Tele2.
Speed fine but ping over 100.

Don't know what is important for you to know.

Will be using Latvian operators Bite & LMT also, they have been quite good mostly.

Reactions: MarkHUK
Works ok just now.

In the winter I was often having problems loading the site at all in Firefox on a Win10 tablett. It would complain about the site not having correct credentials or something, don't recall, then after a while it would work again, though very slowly.

In Firefox on Android there was never this problem.

This was in Sweden and Latvia over various mobile connections, no fiber.

Currently roaming in Latvia on the Swedish operater Tre via Latvian Tele2.
Speed fine but ping over 100.

Don't know what is important for you to knowm
That credentials issue relates to public key pinning for SSL certs, HSTS security and so on. Just generally want feedback on if the site is loading well enough for people, any issues with it let me know.

Reactions: cobben
Hi,

The overall performance is pretty good. Please keep in mind that the Google PageSpeed isn't a reliable speedtest for your website.

The best way to look at PageSpeed is as one of several tools in your arsenal that provide some pointers, but for your actual speed: do not use the PageSpeed grade.

----

That said: I checked the website speed from different locations. The speed is pretty good. Please have a look at the images below.

e1U9s6D.png

7YCsFFa.png

Cheers!

Reactions: MarkHUK
Also, here are some good tips for speed improvement. Forgot to post this in my previous reply.

eUfymgn.png

yea, full aware of those :) I'm network / server engineer :)

Also, here are some good tips for speed improvement. Forgot to post this in my previous reply.

eUfymgn.png
Parts of those issues are outside of scope for fixing anyway, such as Google and other content which there is no caching control over. The other issues related to the theme used, no one single site scores perfectly in all my experience in the industry, its about the finer balance of good vs bad.