[solved] From Xiaomi.eu Rom To Official Global Stable Rom

alanzed

Members
Aug 26, 2016
Hi all,

I know this may be asked a thousand times, but I searched on the forum and checked the sticky posts and before proceeding I still have doubts, and I would like not to brick my phone.

I have a MiMax 32GB with unlocked bootloader, currently running the 6.6.30 xiaomi.eu MIUI 8 ROM.
I would like to go to the official global stable rom (MIUI 7) in order to receive the OTA for MIUI 8.
My main reason to change is that I do not have the time to keep flashing updates myself, and I would like to go ahead with OTA updates (let me know if there is an alternative to that). Also I need to use "Good for Enterprise" and I guess that clashes with the xiaomi.eu rom? - my bad if that's not the case.

How do I go from the current xiaomi 6.6.30 MIUI 8 rom to the en.miui.com official global stable rom (MIUI 7)?

I have Mi Suite and Mi Flash on the Win10 laptop, and the TWRP on the phone, if any of these need to be used.
Furthermore I do not care of the backup as currently I am using the MiMax as a backup phone.

Thanks and apologies for asking this question again.

Thanks
Ale

Solved.
Basically these are the steps I followed:
  1. Transferred the ZIP file to the phone memory
  2. rebooted in TWRP (hold together vol+ and power button for a few seconds and release when you see the miui logo)
  3. started TWRP in read only mode
  4. Used Wipe to wipe the preset suggested stuff (dalvik, cache, etc.)
  5. Selected install, unchecked the "Verify ZIP" and selected the ROM from the internal memory
  6. Rebooted and after 5-6 minutes it starts the ROM
FYI: I have already received an OTA to a minor bug fix version of MIUI 7 and updated via the "Updater" app. Hence OTA works. Waiting for the official MIUI 8 OTA now. :)

thanks everyone
ale

Solved.
Basically these are the steps I followed:
  1. Transferred the ZIP file to the phone memory
  2. rebooted in TWRP (hold together vol+ and power button for a few seconds and release when you see the miui logo)
  3. started TWRP in read only mode
  4. Used Wipe to wipe the preset suggested stuff (dalvik, cache, etc.)
  5. Selected install, unchecked the "Verify ZIP" and selected the ROM from the internal memory
  6. Rebooted and after 5-6 minutes it starts the ROM
FYI: I have already received an OTA to a minor bug fix version of MIUI 7 and updated via the "Updater" app. Hence OTA works. Waiting for the official MIUI 8 OTA now. :)

thanks everyone
ale

Hi,

when you said. "4. Used Wipe to wipe the preset suggested stuff (dalvik, cache, etc.)", did you included system and data volume/partition? or just dalvik/cache?

Currently I have a Mi5 with EU rom 8.0.10.0 and TWRP 3.0.2-0, did the same but included system and data. after flashing MIUI global 8.0.2.0, Im stuck with a MI logo for 35 minutes now with no progress dots we usually see when rebooting the system.

what did I miss, can anyone help please? thanks in advance.

Hi,

when you said. "4. Used Wipe to wipe the preset suggested stuff (dalvik, cache, etc.)", did you included system and data volume/partition? or just dalvik/cache?

Currently I have a Mi5 with EU rom 8.0.10.0 and TWRP 3.0.2-0, did the same but included system and data. after flashing MIUI global 8.0.2.0, Im stuck with a MI logo for 35 minutes now with no progress dots we usually see when rebooting the system.

I don't know how TS managed to solve his problem. I was made to understand it is not so strange forward to flash the Official ROM via TWRP recovery because :-
1. Xiaomi official ROM contains code which will relock the bootloader.
2. Xiaomi boot.img is not TWRP friendly, meaning after flashing likely it will not boot ( stuck in mi logo ).

Hi,

Did you solve this? I have the same problem :(

I don't know how TS managed to solve his problem. I was made to understand it is not so strange forward to flash the Official ROM via TWRP recovery because :-
1. Xiaomi official ROM contains code which will relock the bootloader.
2. Xiaomi boot.img is not TWRP friendly, meaning after flashing likely it will not boot ( stuck in mi logo ).
So, it is better to flash oficial via fastboot?

So, it is better to flash oficial via fastboot?

I guess thats what almost everyone is saying. Maybe TWRP cannot really flash official miui unles that miui zip is modified in a way that will work with TWRP. Ive tried it again today with the new global stable - fail!

Did the bootloader stay unlocked after that ? How about TWRP is it still there ?

Wipe data is the painful part for me. Is there an easy way for you restore the apps, data, launcher short cut, launcher folder organization etc etc ?

I did it without any wipe. Just followed the instruction. It flashes the rom via TWRP. Actualy I don't know why it failed when I tried to flash the rom manually from twrp :). How to check if bootloader is locked? I had unlocked it when I was installing the eu rom but now I have global stable and even don't know bootloader locked again or not :). As for recovery it seems to be gone but this is not a problem for me if my phone will get the update via OTA =)

I did it without any wipe. Just followed the instruction. It flashes the rom via TWRP. Actualy I don't know why it failed when I tried to flash the rom manually from twrp :). How to check if bootloader is locked? I had unlocked it when I was installing the eu rom but now I have global stable and even don't know bootloader locked again or not :). As for recovery it seems to be gone but this not a problem if my phone will get the update via OTA =)

Boot into fastboot and cable to PC, pc enter this command :-

fastboot oem device-info

Tried this http://en.miui.com/a-232.html instruction. Succssefully upgraded to miui 8 global from eu

HAHAHA, thats hilarious, I mean in a good way, lol... its the most basic thing that I overlook. Well, because at first Im afraid it might brick the device because I think somewhere/someone before, they had their device brick by that method (from EU to official)... but good thing it worked great for you.

Anyone can confirm if TWRP can be reflashed on top of official MIUI?

HAHAHA, thats hilarious, I mean in a good way, lol... its the most basic thing that I overlook. Well, because at first Im afraid it might brick the device because I think somewhere/someone before, they had their device brick by that method (from EU to official)... but good thing it worked great for you.

Anyone can confirm if TWRP can be reflashed on top of official MIUI?
I would like to know that too.

As I would like my phone to have these, Unlock bootloader, TWRP and root.

As far as I know it is not possible without modifying parts, the official ROM will replace TWRP on the first boot.

The benefits of the EU ROM is to great for me to ever consider going back to official ROM.

Boot into fastboot and cable to PC, pc enter this command :-

fastboot oem device-info

bootloader seems to be unlocked :)

(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: true
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
(bootloader) Display panel:
OKAY [ 0.006s]
finished. total time: 0.006s

As far as I know it is not possible without modifying parts, the official ROM will replace TWRP on the first boot.

The benefits of the EU ROM is to great for me to ever consider going back to official ROM.
Wipe TWRP out on first boot is non issue as we can always flash it again. If we read the post above the bootloader remains unlocked. So flash it back will take less than one minute.

Reactions: Grygoriy
Wipe TWRP out on first boot is non issue as we can always flash it again. If we read the post above the bootloader remains unlocked. So flash it back will take less than one minute.
I think I misunderstood the original question.
- "Anyone can confirm if TWRP can be reflashed on top of official MIUI?"
That's what you always do before for instance installing the EU ROM. So yes, this can be done.

BUT, it will only stay there till you boot the official MIUI again. Then it will be replaced with the stock boot loader. To prevent TWRP to be replaced you have to flash a modification before rebooting to MIUI.

I think I misunderstood the original question.
- "Anyone can confirm if TWRP can be reflashed on top of official MIUI?"
That's what you always do before for instance installing the EU ROM. So yes, this can be done.

BUT, it will only stay there till you boot the official MIUI again. Then it will be replaced with the stock boot loader. To prevent TWRP to be replaced you have to flash a modification before rebooting to MIUI.
Oh really, every boot it will wipe out TWRP?

I am under the impression that it should only do once.

Last edited:
Yes, with the original ROM installed it will restore the recovery to Mi Recovery every time you reboot.

Yes, with the original ROM installed it will restore the recovery to Mi Recovery every time you reboot.
That's nasty. Have to go to mod the rom before flashing then.

From what i read, just delete a file emmc_something will do.

Yes, correct.

I'm not sure, but you probably have to do this every time it is updated OTA as well. So if the point is to go official only to have OTA updates, but keep TWRP, then it may not be worth the hassle.

That's nasty. Have to go to mod the rom before flashing then.

From what i read, just delete a file emmc_something will do.
What file could you please explain step by step guide ? Thanks