Yellow tint of the display

derbestimmer

Members
Jan 6, 2013
hello together. like most of you i'm very satisfied with my mi2. However, I noticed a yellowish shade / tint in the lower display area (in my case about 10% of screen height are affected). This effect is particularly noticeable at lower brightness levels, but it is slightly visible at maximum brightness as well. since i'm allways very fuzzy about those things i allready thought about a replacement. then I suddenly saw the photos of m1cha (the guy who ported custom recovery to the mi2) in his thread (where the effect actually seems to be even worse). parallel investigations have brought me to the conclusion that this seems to be a common problem with current smartphones. devices of vendors like sony, lg, samsung and even apple are affected. Supposedly this is due to the adhesive substance between digitizer and display glass, which im some cases is not yet cured completely and produces this slight yellowing of distinct areas of the display. in the case of the nexus4 the effect seems to be particularly intense at high heat generated by the device. i myself could find any connection between the intensity of the tint and the temperature of the device. also it is said that this tint should vanish over time. after a few days/weeks or so. but i have my mi2 for 1,5 months now and i cannot see any significant improvement.
I would be interested if some of you have the same problem and if so, whether it git better or not.
Thank you.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2

jeah I have it also, the same tint that you decribe. I saw same tint on many photos on internet :(

hello together. like most of you i'm very satisfied with my mi2. However, I noticed a yellowish shade / tint in the lower display area (in my case about 10% of screen height are affected). This effect is particularly noticeable at lower brightness levels, but it is slightly visible at maximum brightness as well. since i'm allways very fuzzy about those things i allready thought about a replacement. then I suddenly saw the photos of m1cha (the guy who ported custom recovery to the mi2) in his thread (where the effect actually seems to be even worse). parallel investigations have brought me to the conclusion that this seems to be a common problem with current smartphones. devices of vendors like sony, lg, samsung and even apple are affected. Supposedly this is due to the adhesive substance between digitizer and display glass, which im some cases is not yet cured completely and produces this slight yellowing of distinct areas of the display. in the case of the nexus4 the effect seems to be particularly intense at high heat generated by the device. i myself could find any connection between the intensity of the tint and the temperature of the device. also it is said that this tint should vanish over time. after a few days/weeks or so. but i have my mi2 for 1,5 months now and i cannot see any significant improvement.
I would be interested if some of you have the same problem and if so, whether it git better or not.
Thank you.

Gesendet von meinem MI 2 mit Tapatalk 2
can this effect be countered or played down with changing the following;
Settings -> Display -> Adjust color temperature

I have MI2 since december and without problem. That yellow tint appeared almost a month ago in upper right corner.. It is always visible whatever high or low backlight I have. My phone wasn't overheated or heat (as I remember) or hadn't any other bugs (hw or sw).. Will that tint disapear? Here are any photos how the tint looks on some bg colors (visible on black too).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7432966/img-fora/mi2-yellowish.jpg

I did overheat my mi2 very often already(kernel development :D ) and I don't have yellow tint so that shouldn't be the problem.
But since users of other devices like Nexus4 also report this issue I think it's a common problem of some lcd manufacurers.

The fact that not everyone has this tint is easy to explain: there is much different hardware between the sold mi2's. What I know:
- at least 2-3 different screens
- many different touchscreens(3-5? I'm not sure)
- 6 different batteries

I try to check if a app with root can identify hardware.

I've created a app which reads some Hardware Info. It would be great if people can post screenshots of the app so we can compare our devices a little bit. The app doesn't need root.

This information will also help me a little bit with custom kernel.

Attachments

• HwInfo.apk
    227.7 KB · Views: 399
  • hwinfo_screenshot.png
    hwinfo_screenshot.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 860
Reactions: Wajk
Haven't overheated yet but have yellow tint top right next to volume buttons

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• 2013-06-10 23.45.51.png
    2013-06-10 23.45.51.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 827
No tint for me...

Inviato dal mio MI 2 con Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370900932811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370900932811.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 564
My pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370931752031.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370931752031.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 799
so far we all have the same hardware. Others seems to be very rare.
Is there someone with a mi2s? However to come back to the topic: This defect doesn't seem to be limited to one screen model and I hope that you still have warranty.

here is my screen ;)
In my opinion is if you need more info just create new topic for it.
I also almost missed your request...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-11-10-14-01.png
    Screenshot_2013-06-11-10-14-01.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 674
Reactions: M1cha
I would suggest disassembling the phone so that the screen components are separate from the motherboard and the rest, then reassembling it jutisbly (gently, each equal screw tensions, final tighten equivalently.)

When replacing my screen I had noticed a yellow tint in one of the corners, and doing this resolved my problem.
It seems that the smallest of stresses on the LCD unit can cause this.

@ubelai this did not help to me
There was nothing wrong after disassembling the phone.. all screws ok before and after sisassembling. Thint still here. But I found something interesting on my display. The display is deformed in some way but under the glass. Contures of the deformation are exactly the same as the yellow spot.
info: First image with questionmarks is only a type of question if it is how it may be :)
mb.jpgreflection.jpgcurved.jpg

@ubelai this did not help to me
There was nothing wrong after disassembling the phone.. all screws ok before and after sisassembling. Thint still here. But I found something interesting on my display. The display is deformed in some way but under the glass. Contures of the deformation are exactly the same as the yellow spot.
info: First image with questionmarks is only a type of question if it is how it may be :)
View attachment 5695View attachment 5696View attachment 5697

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. And damn that looks nasty! Definitely looks like that could be the cause of the tint.

well,, i didnt notice anything until now when i found this topic... my lower part is kind of yellowish.. and now i keep looking at it! Does warranty cover this? Phone isn't even 1 month old

i am trying to contact ibuygou but they take like 1 hour to answer each email.. its being difficult, 2 or 3 mails per day... and skype is never online =(

i am trying to contact ibuygou but they take like 1 hour to answer each email.. its being difficult, 2 or 3 mails per day... and skype is never online =(
Just be patient...

~Tapatalk 4~

hi, im really disapointed how this turned out, i paid 11€ to send my phone to ibuygou, waited almost 3 weeks then i had to pay again for them to send to me trough dhl 18€.. When it got here, the only different thing was the background, all my programs was still installed, and the yellow tint was still there.. so.. i just wasted time and money..

Is there anyone facing the same issue?
I've mi2s since May and just now a yellow tint appeared...
No particular overheat in my common daily use...
Should I disassemble it???

How is it possible that the yellow tint shows up after some long time?
@Bhed look at your display and check if it's not curved. Mine was on top right under the glass (the second layer) , so it was factory defect.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk