300 hours of waiting? are you serious?

dgtl1312

Members
Aug 7, 2018
Hi there,

I'm a German customer, yesterday i bought the mi 8. it's the Chinese version. there are about 99 apps installed which are displaying Chinese fonts only.

Of course I was trying to install the global version of the rom. In order to have this done, I have to unlock the bootloader. And this crappy piece of software (uses curl to communicate to the API, unable to use it with a proxy) is telling me that I have to wait ~300 hours.

I mean what the..
I paid 500 Euro for that phone, yet I'm at least able to wipe my arse with it.

I wonder if xiaomi ever heard anything about customer service. This is a freaking nightmare and can't be true.

This is the worst I ever experienced with a piece of fresh hardware like ever. I have no words for that.

kind regards
dgtl

Reactions: gwyn123
Hi there,

I'm a German customer, yesterday i bought the mi 8. it's the Chinese version. there are about 99 apps installed which are displaying Chinese fonts only.

Of course I was trying to install the global version of the rom. In order to have this done, I have to unlock the bootloader. And this crappy piece of software (uses curl to communicate to the API, unable to use it with a proxy) is telling me that I have to wait ~300 hours.

I mean what the..
I paid 500 Euro for that phone, yet I'm at least able to wipe my arse with it.

I wonder if xiaomi ever heard anything about customer service. This is a freaking nightmare and can't be true.

This is the worst I ever experienced with a piece of fresh hardware like ever. I have no words for that.

kind regards
dgtl
Unfortunately that is the fact with new phones. I was angry too and was writing about that on MIUI Forum. Fortunately there were a Chinese guy who helped me to unlock with his VIP account. So if you cannot get Mi VIP account or get help from someone who has it then you have to wait. Once you bind phone with your account don't do factory reset or try to bind phone with another account as it will reset waiting time to 360 hours. Best luck!

Hey zmajdk,

thanks a lot for your reply!
I will do as you adviced.

Do you know of any better place to complain about this? somewhere where I can talk to an official?

thanks and kind regards
dgtl

Unfortunately that is the fact with new phones. I was angry too and was writing about that on MIUI Forum. Fortunately there were a Chinese guy who helped me to unlock with his VIP account. So if you cannot get Mi VIP account or get help from someone who has it then you have to wait. Once you bind phone with your account don't do factory reset or try to bind phone with another account as it will reset waiting time to 360 hours. Best luck!

Sorry for the kinda offtopic question but with the MI VIP account you can unlock the phone without waiting time?

Sorry for the kinda offtopic question but with the MI VIP account you can unlock the phone without waiting time?
That is what I said but how do you get VIP account outside China and with Chinese telephone number?

It is annoying for users, but it is a rule to protect users.

Some re-sellers (means Unofficial store) install bad-quality ROM on Mi-phone and sell them.
By restricting unlock, Xiaomi is trying to protect users.

punishing the customers for xiaomis inability to find a proper solution on the problems they have with some shops is NOT the right way to go here.

xiaomi should make sure not to deal with such shops primarily.

you don't see other vendors p****ng customers off like that.

as I said, I have no words for that. I paid 500 Euros for a phone which isn't really usable for me.

this is a nightmare

punishing the customers for xiaomis inability to find a proper solution on the problems they have with some shops is NOT the right way to go here.

xiaomi should make sure not to deal with such shops primarily.

you don't see other vendors p****ng customers off like that.

as I said, I have no words for that. I paid 500 Euros for a phone which isn't really usable for me.

this is a nightmare
You can choose another brand, example iphone.

Reactions: panblock
I agree too. Mine is on the fly... If i could, i certainly choose Oneplus.

Xiaomi does crap. Unlock time and CN/eng rom is bullshit ...

Reactions: dgtl1312
I agree too. Mine is on the fly... If i could, i certainly choose Oneplus.

Xiaomi does crap. Unlock time and CN/eng rom is bullshit ...
Do you guys are serious? Did you even tried to read at least one piece off info about Xiaomi?

Off course it is annoying, but it wasn't a surprise because it was plain in the open.
Like someone said before, it is to protect you from shops/people who mean harm and steal info by using keyloggers etc...

Xiaomi isn't the only manufacture who locks bootloader btw...

And if you read before you all knew that there is only Ch/English language... Don't get me wrong , I also think it should be global, but hey... I knew it before...

And about OnePlus.... You have seen the big software issues they face on OP6 right...?

Edit: about the 360 hours wait.... Is only for new members... If you unlocked phone before you are known and can unlock immediately/sooner

Sent from my MI 8 SE using Tapatalk

Nope i didn't saw any problem.

About cn/eng, this isn't a good thing. If you sell all aroubd the world, then you do multilanguage. C mon, this is so stupid !

If they sell phones with multilanguage, so most of users and people here won't make any flash through miflash or fastboot, and same for 360H waiting time...

So again : this is stupid.

Do you guys are serious? Did you even tried to read at least one piece off info about Xiaomi?

Off course it is annoying, but it wasn't a surprise because it was plain in the open.
Like someone said before, it is to protect you from shops/people who mean harm and steal info by using keyloggers etc...

And if you read before you all knew that there is only Ch/English language... Don't get me wrong , I also think it should be global, but hey... I knew it before...

And about OnePlus.... You have seen the big software issues they face on OP6 right...?

Edit: about the 360 hours wait.... Is only for new members... If you unlocked phone before you are known and can unlock immediately/sooner

Hmm, I have been using Xiaomi phones for many years now. I bought 7 xiaoni phones mostly flagships and was able to unlock them immediately but Mi 8 SE no way. I have nothing against locked bootloader but I have very much against phones without Google play store, missing languages and apps in Chinese. Why do I buy Xiaomi phones then? Because I know that there is xiaomi.eu Rom and I know that Xiaomi allow to unlock bootloader, but when Xiaomi comes with restrictions quietly than I will not longer buy Xiaomi phone. That is simple.

I haven't had that piece of information that I have to wait 360hrs before unlocking. Of course I did my homework, read about the technical specs, checked if there is a global rom available etc. I don't review the process of flashing a device even before I have it in my hands, because for me it was only important that it's possible. I had no clue that I will have to wait that long. There is no official information about that when you buy this phone.

How the hell can you defend that behavior by xiaomi??? I don't get it.

Seems like the so called Stockholm syndrome to be.

this sucks hard.

rgds

Reactions: gwyn123 and zmajdk
I haven't had that piece of information that I have to wait 360hrs before unlocking. Of course I did my homework, read about the technical specs, checked if there is a global rom available etc. I don't review the process of flashing a device even before I have it in my hands, because for me it was only important that it's possible. I had no clue that I will have to wait that long. There is no official information about that when you buy this phone.

How the hell can you defend that behavior by xiaomi??? I don't get it.

Seems like the so called Stockholm syndrome to be.

this sucks hard.

rgds
I will send you PM

That's nonsense. Currently you always have to wait 360h if you want to unlock the device's bootloader as of Redmi 5 series or newer. It makes no difference if you're doing it with your first or tenth Xiaomi device, because every device has to be bind specifically to your MI account.

Reactions: zmajdk
That's nonsense. Currently you always have to wait 360h if you want to unlock the device's bootloader as of Redmi 5 series or newer. It makes no difference if you're doing it with your first or tenth Xiaomi device, because every device has to be bind specifically to your MI account.
Then I will an exception.. I didn't have to wait a single day... After locking it but mistake again using fastboot I could unlock again after a few days

Reactions: Xiaomi_Virus
That is correct but some people did succeeded with two accounts trick but now Xioami fixed that and closed the holes. People with VIP account and phone number from China can unlock bootloader in no time. I know because I have got help to unlock my phone.

Reactions: Xiaomi_Virus
I used the same account as I used to unlock a Mi5 but I had to wait 360 hours to unlock a Mi8.
But okay... it's not a nightmare... life goes on.
That is right and life can go on without Xioami phone too.. I think it's not fair require unlocked bootloader to upgrade official global firmware but state that unlocked bootloader compromises security and safety of the phone. How many times Xioami claimed " this phone" is only for China market but after two months or so released global firmware and selling phone outside China too.

That is correct but some people did succeeded with two accounts trick but now Xioami fixed that and closed the holes. People with VIP account and phone number from China can unlock bootloader in no time. I know because I have got help to unlock my phone.
Yes, I was aware of the trick but therefore I referred to the present.
The thing with VIP accounts I have seen in your second post here and I believe you, but is negligible because I think only very few people of european Xiaomi users are going this way.

That is right and life can go on without Xioami phone too.. I think it's not fair require unlocked bootloader to upgrade official global firmware but state that unlocked bootloader compromises security and safety of the phone. How many times Xioami claimed " this phone" is only for China market but after two months or so released global firmware and selling phone outside China too.

i think you me a mistake about that:

Xiaomi isnt selling any phone outside asia....

A lot off third party sellers do, not xiaomi themselve