Alexionis

Members
Dec 23, 2017

Hi to everybody! How you guys have been doing? Excited for the Oreo release? I do !

I see you guys have difficulties with installing this on Mi Note 2 , so i'll do a step by step tutorial here.

First of all , i guess everybody has unlocked BL and TWRP flashed. Also, be ready to lose all your data.​

1. Download this TWRP image.(All the credits go to the author. *who is a great dev btw*)
2.Go into your TWRP->Flash and select that you want to install an image in the bottom right of the screen.
3.Go to the directory the new TWRP image was downloaded.
4.Select it and flash it.
5.Go back to the Main menu and select the Reboot button.
6.Click on Recovery.
7.You will see that the TWRP loads slower than before, that's because it tries to read your data , but he can't.
8.You will be greeted by a screen that says that your data is encrypted and you need to input a password.(It may be a screen that says the system is read-only. Slide the button from the bottom to the right and you're done ! )
9.Click on the Cancel button.
10.Go to the Wipe section and then to Advanced wipe.
11.Wipe the Data partition. (Not the storage like all the people around here are saying)
12.Congratulations! You now have all your storage partition no more encrypted. *clap clap* (You heard it right , the storage partition.)
13.Now , go ahead and plug your beautiful device named Mi Note 2 into your PC. (by a USB 2.0/3.0 to USB C cable)
14.Copy the android 8.0/8.1 zip file to your phone.
15.Flash that son of a bi*ch.
16.There you go ! Easy enough, if you ask me .
17.Are you still reading this? Why the f**k aren't you trying the ROM already?
18.Doesn't boot? No problem , my friend. Flash this. (All the credits go to the author.)

Leave below the feedback and all the problems you encounter. I'll try to help and answer, but only to the pertinent questions.
First , do a search on google if you encounter some kind of problems.
Thanks!​

Last edited:
Reactions: Itchy and tamil18
And when you do all this steps and get stuck on "Mi account unlock" on first boot? That's my case. I'm with official rom Global 7.9.22 beta via MiFlash and all works fine including Mi Cloud even with activated Sim Card.

And when you do all this steps and get stuck on "Mi account unlock" on first boot? That's my case. I'm with official rom Global 7.9.22 beta via MiFlash and all works fine including Mi Cloud even with activated Sim Card.

You simply need to go through the wifi set-up without sim card or just wait for the mobile network to be on. The thing you must enter there is the Xiaomi account password.

Quick answer: Why on earth, oh why someone would want to do all this non-sense and lose data due to a data wipe ?! STOP IT, don’t go any further without knowing what you are doing!

Long Answer:

Ok, now that I got that quick thought out of mind, and hopefully have stopped someone from losing all its data and possibly the use of its own device, let’s dig into this almost-accurate but quite-totally non-sense.

1. TWRP for Scorpio have an official stable 3.2.1 version. Take a look on the official site

What’s wrong with you people thinking that the first amateur compiler who can put his hands on a source-code and recompile an installer will DEFINETELY put out a better product than long-term development teams?!

The PSY-Version is probably made to be compatible with some of his own concocted ROMs and obviously, if you flash that version over the official TWRP you will end up with the error afore mentioned, which lead us to the second point.

2. Always, always, always do your homework when dealing with / speaking about “WIPING”! Why in name of Zeus you want to induce “distracted” users in deleting all their data?! (including not only apps and apps data but also Photos, Downloads, and everything else)

Wiping the DATA means deleting apps, personal files, pics, etc but it won’t touch Android-files. It’s basically of no-use for the update process, but it is only partially useful in putting a band aid on the mess created by installing an arbitrary version of TWRP.

3. I do not even want to stress out how much important is a BACKUP. And yet, there is no “warning” in your tutorial. Before WIPING the Data partition, users should be aware of data loss and hence should be prepared. Taking a TWRP Backup and off-loading to a computer before WIPE is the easy way, for example.

4. Are we even speaking about the Xiaomi EU MIUI-based OREO Release?! If so, what on earth is this “thing” that you are compelling users to install:universal_boot.img_patcher.zip" ?! I can’t even find the original author.

5. On top of all this…dude, did you even care to read the thread over at XIAOMI.EU with all the users feedback for MIUI 9.6 8.3.15 release? I bet you didn’t. Otherwise you would have notice a quite detailed answer by rasty777 that clarifies even further the problem with different TWRP Versions and illustrates the correct procedure to solve the “non boot issue” after the upgrade that some users are reporting.

6. Last but not least, judging from your “procedure” it is my opinion that you are upgrading form a different ROM. Probably something made by PSY and available over at XDA. (my guess would be SlimROM or Pixel Experience).

RFontes I’m not quite sure if this may help, but you can try the following steps:

1. While your phone is active, remove any security code you may have for access (PIN, Password, Sequence, Face Recognition, etc.) and remove any SIM PIN.

2. Now pen the SIMcard tray and reboot the phone

3. After rebooting, wait a couple of seconds in order for Android to reload everything and then close the SIM Tray.

4. At this point, you should be prompted to insert your Xiaomi ID again. Finish the procedure, authenticate and then restart. The problem should be solved.

Some users reported an extra step: if the problem is not solved you should made a WIPE (standard wipe, not data!) install again the ROM and this time start the phone for the very first time without SIM. After the initial setup, you should re-insert the SIM tray and proceed with your Mi Account verification.

@NeoMod Thanks for your links to the official version.
I don't want to argue , just shared a method. I didn't said it is the only one. It's a procedure to go from any other rom , not just xiaomi.eu .
The method i just shared was made because i did not see any over here and a lot of people were complaining on the 8.3.15 release thread . (also, to be easy to understand). In addition , you will lose all the storage partition by wiping the data because that's what is happening . You will receive a decrypted storage partition .
I get it , you are trying to show off. Next time , don't attack this straight , you can hurt somebody.
Last time i get in touch with this forum. Seems like others are more capable to do a tutorial , but they don't do it. They rely on poorly written answers on a post that has over 11 pages of feedback. Nice! Give this man a medal , everybody! He can write all that, but he can't make a thread explaining how to upgrade to Oreo.
i'm out.

but how do you update to oreo 8.0.
what is the real story. at least there is someone trying to explain it.
comment is easy but explain how it should be done.

but how do you update to oreo 8.0.
what is the real story. at least there is someone trying to explain it.
comment is easy but explain how it should be done.

If you don't understand the instructions in the first post, you shouldn't be doing anything to your phone. Seriously!!!

i have been doing this for years with my phone.
so you say that it should be the same as with the first post, while no original twrp is used.
while there is.

and that was not my question either, so I do not have much to answer.

and please do not give an answer, nor does it add anything here.

Reactions: linuxghost
OMG... There is a download link for TWRP in the first post. The TWRP version designed for the Mi Note 2 and works with the Oreo update.

What more do you need???

@The_real_hati
The struggle is not worth it , dude. People are thinking that the link from the twrp site is the only good one . It's not even listed in the official devices list lol.

Like i wanted to make a bad thing! Just tried to help . Next time people better search on google . That's why our phone's community is so damn low.
Everybody is so pumped up. They know it better.

Reactions: Valko67
I think everyone is here to help. If one guy has more knowledge than other, that's normal. Just relax and talk about your experience. In my case and when I need help and have many comments from users I just try some tips from everybody till I get the solution. That's what happened here and solve the problem. So you guys helped me, thanks a lot!

With TWRP 3.2.1 the decryption of the data mount got data erased. I have flashed xiaomi.eu_multi_MINote2_8.3.15_v9-8.0 OK.
After a restart the MIUI 9 (Lightning fast) screen appears and the next screen where you can choose the language.
This screen is only visible for a short time and then a black screen with a lock and "This device is locked"
Two buttons "Activate this device" and "Open WLAN settings". Activation cannot happen because no WLAN and OpenWLAN settings cannot happen because "This device is locked" .
I have googled untill my type fingers were blue but have not found a working solution yet.
open

With TWRP 3.2.1 the decryption of the data mount got data erased. I have flashed xiaomi.eu_multi_MINote2_8.3.15_v9-8.0 OK.
After a restart the MIUI 9 (Lightning fast) screen appears and the next screen where you can choose the language.
This screen is only visible for a short time and then a black screen with a lock and "This device is locked"
Two buttons "Activate this device" and "Open WLAN settings". Activation cannot happen because no WLAN and OpenWLAN settings cannot happen because "This device is locked" .
I have googled untill my type fingers were blue but have not found a working solution yet.
open
First, go to "i.mi.com" login to your account and disable "find device" and logout. Then in your phone disable "Mi cloud" doing also logout. Reboot to twrp and do a factory reset (make backup if you want) and install the rom. Reboot to system and then you should be able to login to Mi cloud. If doesn't work on first reboot try again but pin out the Sim card slot and let it boot then insert Sim card slot.

Reactions: linuxghost
open

You either boot without the sim , which many people have said that it works, either you delete your device from i.mi.com.
@RFontes explained it better.
This will be fixed in the next release.

I tried doing both things and it works. Just sharing what I did.
I have tried booting xiaomi.eu_multi_MINote2_8.3.15_v9-8.0 without the sim; Didn't work..:(
About deleting the device @i.mi.com i am very reluctant. I have made a backup by OTG but i got
Code:
extracttarfork() process ended with error=255
(Which shows the relativity of the well-meant advice @NeoMod #3)
So i don't want to loose the cloud backup @i.mi.com
Guess i should wait untill friday for the next rom and keep my fingers crossed that these PITA have been ironed out!

I have tried booting xiaomi.eu_multi_MINote2_8.3.15_v9-8.0 without the sim; Didn't work..:(
About deleting the device @i.mi.com i am very reluctant. I have made a backup by OTG but i got
Code:
extracttarfork() process ended with error=255
(Which shows the relativity of the well-meant advice @NeoMod #3)
So i don't want to loose the cloud backup @i.mi.com
Guess i should wait untill friday for the next rom and keep my fingers crossed that these PITA have been ironed out!
You don't delete your device on i.mi.com you just disable the feature "find my device",your backups still there, do a log out on your account and also in your phone's Mi cloud.

You don't delete your device on i.mi.com you just disable the feature "find my device",your backups still there, do a log out on your account and also in your phone's Mi cloud.
I have tried this already at first. No luck...
and also in your phone's Mi cloud
My phone doesn't arrive at the point where i can do that! The setup process for MIUI9 is interrupted before the WiFi setup...
Which version of TWRP did you use?? I have tried 3 different versions;
1 https://dl.twrp.me/scorpio/ the official one as mentioned by @NeoMod
2 the one from treble (v2) that @Alexionis mentioned and
3 the version from PsiMan.
I tried to flash back to the eu 8.3.8. image but that also failed. It seems it's not even system dependant so no use waiting for friday.
I'm starting to become a little despondent...:(

And I will hold off flashing Oreo just a little longer, see how you guys fare with this...
No problem to install the new Oreo version using Twrp from official site and by disabling find device / sign out from mi.

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk