MIUI 10 stable - weak sound during calls - SOLVED!

andrei80

Members
Sep 9, 2016
Just installed MIUI10 stable yesterday(dirty flashed it over MIUI 9.5.1.0 also .eu) and all was well(only had to delete data for 3 apps that didn't work well anymore) but the volume in the earpiece is really low during calls and I can't understand what the other is saying if there's any noise around. It was originally low in MIUI 9 stable but managed to increase it using 3 modded mixer files to a better level.
The 3 mixer files are in /vendor/etc btw for MIUI 10 stable, btw. Will try to see if I can mod them, using the files for MIUI 9 as inspiration.

LE did it and it seems to work well :D. Volume is noticeably higher. Changed a bunch of volume values from 84 to 94 using a computer and editing them with wordpad, having original and modded files side by side for easy comparison. The MIUI10 files seemed identical with the modded MIUI9 files, minus the higher volume values.

**NEEDS ROOT**
You need a root explorer app and having messed with system files before helps a lot.
DO NOT FORGET TO SET THE PERMISSIONS FOR THE MODDED FILES BEFORE REBOOTING or you might get bootloop!! rw-r--r--
Feel free to tweak volumes further, but do not exceed 95. 94 already makes sound a bit scratchy at max volume.
It is possible to have boot loops or ruin your speakers! I'm not responsable for that!

Rename file by deleting .apk, it's a rar. Unrar it.
Using root explorer, go to /vendor/etc, locate mixer_paths.xml, mixer_paths_i2s.xml and mixer_paths_tasha.xml, BACKUP THEM in case anything goes wrong and then replace them with the files from the rar.
Set permissions back to rw-r--r-- for the 3 files.
Reboot and profit! :)

Attachments

• MIUI 10 mixer mod.rar.apk
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,926
Last edited:
HI,
I have MIU10 also and the device rooted. It happened also to me that after installing one ROM the calls sound is very poor....at the beginning I thought it was the earpiecec but after I replaced it ti was the same....SO know I want to try with this.
I´m not an expert on all this I just follow the instructions of experts like you ;-P...
Being said that I do not know what to do when you say "set permissions back to rw-r--r-- for the 3 files. " could you please detail the steps to be done.

Many thanks

In the root explorer you use, long press the file and choose "permissions" option.
R=read W=write.
Owner rw
Group r
Others r
I am hardly an expert, but I learn when I need to...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-03-09-08-17-029_com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-03-09-08-17-029_com.speedsoftware.rootexplorer.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,794
Reactions: aiman333
IT works!!
But as you said it sounds a bit scratchy when volume in max (but if I do not set it at max i do not heard....)
What I really do not undestand is why just with a ROM change now I heard so low and with this fix I heard as I did it before but scratchy.....:emoji_thinking::emoji_thinking::emoji_thinking:
I guess it should be a fix to have it as it was.....

Many thank for your support!!!

Is there any way this can be made into something that can be flashed via twrp, root causes issues with apps I use for banking and work.

Just installed MIUI10 stable yesterday(dirty flashed it over MIUI 9.5.1.0 also .eu) and all was well(only had to delete data for 3 apps that didn't work well anymore) but the volume in the earpiece is really low during calls and I can't understand what the other is saying if there's any noise around. It was originally low in MIUI 9 stable but managed to increase it using 3 modded mixer files to a better level.
The 3 mixer files are in /vendor/etc btw for MIUI 10 stable, btw. Will try to see if I can mod them, using the files for MIUI 9 as inspiration.

LE did it and it seems to work well :D. Volume is noticeably higher. Changed a bunch of volume values from 84 to 94 using a computer and editing them with wordpad, having original and modded files side by side for easy comparison. The MIUI10 files seemed identical with the modded MIUI9 files, minus the higher volume values.

**NEEDS ROOT**
You need a root explorer app and having messed with system files before helps a lot.
DO NOT FORGET TO SET THE PERMISSIONS FOR THE MODDED FILES BEFORE REBOOTING or you might get bootloop!! rw-r--r--
Feel free to tweak volumes further, but do not exceed 95. 94 already makes sound a bit scratchy at max volume.
It is possible to have boot loops or ruin your speakers! I'm not responsable for that!

Rename file by deleting .apk, it's a rar. Unrar it.
Using root explorer, go to /vendor/etc, locate mixer_paths.xml, mixer_paths_i2s.xml and mixer_paths_tasha.xml, BACKUP THEM in case anything goes wrong and then replace them with the files from the rar.
Set permissions back to rw-r--r-- for the 3 files.
Reboot and profit! :)
thanks helped alot

Seems I have solved the earpiece volume getting worse and worse problem.
One day I found my phone dirty with some kind of syrup/honey in the earpiece area, so tested it and found the gunk definetely got inside the grille and the speaker was barely audible. That forced me to try a desperate measure...
First I tried to get the gunk out if the earpiece by sucking it(gross, I know...). After getting most of it out, the speaker still was too quiet, so I went even further, pouring about one drop of sanitary alcohol in the earpiece, letting it dissolve the damn syrup and then sucking it out again and quickly using an air spray to get rid of the moisture remaining in the area.
When I tested the earpiece again, it was as loud as when it was new! I curently have the volume down at 1/2 - 3/4 because it's just too loud at maximum.

I really don't recomend using the method I used because of 2 quite obvious reasons:
1. sucking out the dirt with your mouth is REALLY bad ideea and can get you sick
2. poring any kind of liquid inside the phone can kill it!

However, I really do recomend finding a smarter way of cleaning the earpiece! I might just be blocked by dirt!

Last edited: