[QUESTION] [JOYEUSE] (11.0.7.0) Modding System Files without getting stuck on Fastboot mode.

vicl89

Members
Sep 21, 2020
Hi everyone, I just upgraded my firmware today with the recovery from here and I want to know if I can mod files again with root or directly from TWRP without getting bootloop as before in 11.0.4.0.

I was trying to mod some system files like the default fonts in my phone, using "Root explorer", but after I made any modification to my system files, I got stuck on Fastboot mode, without any possibility to get back to the normal boot. Only flashing the firmware again is the way to get back.

So, is there a way to mod files without this problem in firmware 11.0.7.0???

Hi everyone, I just upgraded my firmware today with the recovery from here and I want to know if I can mod files again with root or directly from TWRP without getting bootloop as before in 11.0.4.0.

I was trying to mod some system files like the default fonts in my phone, using "Root explorer", but after I made any modification to my system files, I got stuck on Fastboot mode, without any possibility to get back to the normal boot. Only flashing the firmware again is the way to get back.

Issue has been corrected on Curtana latest EU rom. (tested!)
I can not tell for Joyeuse but should be the same.
Somebody have to check it like I did for myself.

Issue has been corrected on Curtana latest EU rom. (tested!)
I can not tell for Joyeuse but should be the same.
Somebody have to check it like I did for myself.
I already tried, but now with 11.0.7.0, it just don't allow you to copy, mod or replace system files with Root Explorer app. Yes, Magisk give all the permissions to the app but the app is not able to mount the system partition.

On the other hand, in TWRP, you can't flash system mods of any kind. Only the official ROM packages can be flashed without problems.

I already tried, but now with 11.0.7.0, it just don't allow you to copy, mod or replace system files with Root Explorer app. Yes, Magisk give all the permissions to the app but the app is not able to mount the system partition.

On the other hand, in TWRP, you can't flash system mods of any kind. Only the official ROM packages can be flashed without problems.
YES, nothing to do with TWRP file explorer. This is not corrected.
What I was speaking about is when using a rooted file explorer without past issue.

NOTE: You can notice the very low participation level on this forum on more than 70 views of your post. Too bad!

YES, nothing to do with TWRP file explorer. This is not corrected.
What I was speaking about is when using a rooted file explorer without past issue.

NOTE: You can notice the very low participation level on this forum on more than 70 views of your post. Too bad!
That's because nobody tried the ROM before maybe... I don't know, it sucks to have this problem since 11.0.4.0

Maybe this problem will be fixed in 11.0.10.0... or we'll jump directly to MIUI12. Any clue?

I know and it's very effective. Is a shame that we can't make any mods like always, I hope they fix the errors with the MIUI 12 release for Joyeuse
A "shame" for what?
You are hard understanding:
TWRP for dynamic partition phone can't, as of today, make system read/write and will remain like that until a solution will be found. If any!
But you can modify your system file (those that are not EU DEV locked) with root explorer under certain care.
Why do you sadly complain, Life is good!

A "shame" for what?
You are hard understanding:
TWRP for dynamic partition phone can't, as of today, make system read/write and will remain like that until a solution will be found. If any!
But you can modify your system file (those that are not EU DEV locked) with root explorer under certain care.
Life is good!
How? because everytime I mod any file with Root Explorer, I get stuck in fastboot mode. Is there a solution for that?

So do it via root explorer means, and if cautious just remove root before reboot.
So are you telling me that I need to give root privileges to Root Explorer as usual, make the mod and then remove all the privileges before reseting the phone?

So are you telling me that I need to give root privileges to Root Explorer as usual, make the mod and then remove all the privileges before reseting the phone?
Yes this is to be certain to avoid reboot issue.... fastboot like.
On Curtana I have, no need to remove root on lastest EU rom. But I do my modification and remove root to explorer for peace of mind...
Take the opportunity to add your favorite HOSTS file.

Yes this is to be certain to avoid reboot issue.... fastboot like.
On Curtana I have, no need to remove root on lastest EU rom. But I do my modification and remove root to explorer for peace of mind...
Take the opportunity to add your favorite HOSTS file.

Well, unfortunately, it doesn't work with root explorer on Joyeuse. I don't know what am I doing wrong. I gave root privileges and after I copy a file to system, the app says that everything was correct, but after that, I see that the file was not replaced really.

Well, unfortunately, it doesn't work with root explorer on Joyeuse. I don't know what am I doing wrong. I gave root privileges and after I copy a file to system, the app says that everything was correct, but after that, I see that the file was not replaced really.
I don't use the embedded file explorer.
Try another one like ES or X-plore. May be better...

I don't use the embedded file explorer.
Try another one like ES or X-plore. May be better...
I tried but without sucess... I even used a terminal emulator to mount /system as Rewritable and I got this:

And I see the same as you told me before. Android Q is not supported for writing the system. That sucks!

I tried but without sucess... I even used a terminal emulator to mount /system as Rewritable and I got this:

View attachment 31991

And I see the same as you told me before. Android Q is not supported for writing the system. That sucks!
Are you sure you are root?
Anyway Curtana rom and Joyeuse have the same structure so no reason one is going well and not the second.
Reason can fall from a miss in EU build.

Well... finally I noticed that I can only apply mods systemlessly with Magisk modules. Afortunately I found the mods I needed and I even kept my banking special features without problems. It seems that Android 10 doesn't allow to mod System directly.

Anyways, I solved my problem and I'm happy :)

Reactions: LOLO9393

This is caused because DM-Verity/Forceencrypt. If you modify any /system file, the phone stucks in bootloop.

You can fix this flashing "DM Verity disabler" (https://github.com/Zackptg5/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt) after format data and flashing a rom, with this the OS doesnt encrypt on first boot. I tried in EU 11.0.11.0 and It worked perfectly.

Android 10 use System is on Super partiton. Therefore you can't modify nothing or wipe System Partition. It is not a mistake, it is a feature.
Info here: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement

Last edited:
Android 10 use System is on Super partiton. Therefore you can't modify nothing or wipe System Partition. It is not a mistake, it is a feature.
Info here: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/dynamic_partitions/implement
...calling this a "feature" sounds like a "Mac OS" user would say.
If someone roots the device it will be because they want / need to do something, this is one of the Linux/Android advantage
With DM disabler I've achieved to disabling AVB and modifying /system files without affecting to boot (and without losing Widevine). Obviously It's "dangerous" to do

This is caused because DM-Verity/Forceencrypt. If you modify any /system file, the phone stucks in bootloop.

You can fix this flashing "DM Verity disabler" (https://github.com/Zackptg5/Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt) after format data and flashing a rom, with this the OS doesnt encrypt on first boot. I tried in EU 11.0.11.0 and It worked perfectly.

I thought android 10 switched from block based encryption (encrypting partitions like /data) to file based (encrypting individual files)? So no 'enter password to boot' mode, straight to lockscreen. See https://source.android.com/security/encryption/file-based. Maybe it's something to do with access to the 'Device Encryption (DE) keys?

View attachment 31991

I think you need to use adb remount which has been updated to do shiny new things in android 10. Check out https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/master/fs_mgr/README.overlayfs.md

I thought android 10 switched from block based encryption (encrypting partitions like /data) to file based (encrypting individual files)? So no 'enter password to boot' mode, straight to lockscreen. See https://source.android.com/security/encryption/file-based. Maybe it's something to do with access to the 'Device Encryption (DE) keys?

I think you need to use adb remount which has been updated to do shiny new things in android 10. Check out https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/master/fs_mgr/README.overlayfs.md

I also tried in my spare 9S...and effectively, bootloops at fastboot at every change in /system. IDK how I did , but in my earlier Note 9S I've achieved to edit /system without issues (and I don't remember how I did...)