Xiaomi MiKey - 3.5mm dust-plug with added functionality

Wajk

Members
Jun 29, 2011
Xiaomi showcased the MiKey, which is basically a 3.5mm plug designed to work with your Xiaomi smartphone. Not only will it protect your smartphone from dust, but it’ll actually act as an accessory using which you can control your device. The design is pretty straightforward — there’s just one button on the plug, which also helps keep it limited in size.
600x368xMI-Key-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Xnk4f7RWMU.jpg
Depending on the number of clicks, certain applications/shortcuts can be assigned. Say for example, you are a sting operator. You require the services of your Xiaomi’s camera on short notice. You can simply assign one click to trigger the camera shutter/video, saving you the time and effort. From what we make from the chart, the MiKey can recognize up to 10 clicks, which you can use to trigger different actions on your Xiaomi smartphone. The Xiaomi MiKey will go on sale starting 8th April for 4.9 Yuan ($0.80), which is perhaps when you can start ordering the accessory from your favourite reseller.
565x500xMi-Key.jpg.pagespeed.ic.usz6tQkWp7.jpg
source

Reactions: type-R and boojay
Thats cool.

Altrough Pressy was annouced 6 month ago the Xiaomi solution is 1000 times cheaper.
Pressy costs 20$...

mmm pretty useless in my opinion for 99.9% of the possible usages, it would have been much better if they had made the same thing (jack + app, same price) but with an irda sender/receiver instead of a button.

Inviato dal mio MI 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: cpasmoi
Here is some more screens and icons from official Mi Key press

ft_04.png
ft_02_1.png

ft_05.png

T1dUJTB4AT1RXrhCrK.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
T1qfYTByJT1Ryl2ErK.JPG

It's a pressy clone!
I'm waiting for a pressy
I paid it 20

But I really love Mi Key

Sent from Xiaomi Mi-4g ( the "g" is for graveyard not for great )...with tapatalk 26°

Sadly people are seriously gonna buy MiKey instead of pressy.
I'd never buy such a cheeky and unethical clone.

Since neither of the companies pay my rent and/or puts food on my table, ethics are thrown out of the window with this much of a price difference.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

This is going to be a battery drainer not? The app should be listening all time to now if you press the button, I suppose it works using the microphone not?

You still have the choice of not buying the device at all.

As long as I'm not stealing it's ok by my standards. Also, the price difference is so stupidly large, one has to start thinking of the profit percentage pressy had in mind.

And also; this is what China/Xiaomi does. This is the reason I have a Mi2s and not an HTC One for example. I try to find the best quality for the best price and if Xiaomi offers the exact same product for $0.80 vs Pressy's $27 I would be stealing money from my own pocket.

On a last note; I'm not buying this thing at all, just wanted to voice my thoughts ;)

Im a true fan of MIUI and Xiaomi but I dont know why Xiaomi release a clone like that. It is not good :(

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Sadly people are seriously gonna buy MiKey instead of pressy.
I'd never buy such a cheeky and unethical clone.
The functionality of Pressy and MiKey aren't anything new, basically just using a standard that has existed long before them.
I doubt that there is anything patentable about it at all. The patent system is pretty ridiculous too. If you invent something then it's not wrong for someone else to build on that idea. Not to mention that in the overpriced Pressy case, it was obvious from the get-go that competitors would make a more affordable product. Pressy have made enough of a profit from their hugely overpriced presell, perhaps if they hadn't kept delaying the actual release of Pressy, they'd be at a better position right now, not that their current position isn't good.

Sent from my MI 2 using Tapatalk

As long as I'm not stealing it's ok by my standards. Also, the price difference is so stupidly large, one has to start thinking of the profit percentage pressy had in mind.

And also; this is what China/Xiaomi does. This is the reason I have a Mi2s and not an HTC One for example. I try to find the best quality for the best price and if Xiaomi offers the exact same product for $0.80 vs Pressy's $27 I would be stealing money from my own pocket.

On a last note; I'm not buying this thing at all, just wanted to voice my thoughts ;)

Hopefully for you, no one will steal your ideas, or find a cheaper replacement at your work.

Reactions: M1cha
Xiaomi is not first who stole idea.. Just media made it big..

Check http://helloklick.com/

There are lot of pressy alternatives on dx or aliexpress..

~Tapatalk~

Update: Pressy got back to us this morning with the following statement: "Though the knock-off versions were anticipated, we did not expect to see it from such a respectable and known company ... We have IP rights for the design and functionality of Pressy, and are considering our next moves to handle the situation.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/xiaomi-pressy-clone/

I hope that they'll be able to prevent xiaomi from selling their clone.

in my opinion, it is very difficult to patent a device accesories. i mean, it is not far different like any other phone accesories but with an extra function. if each of those accessories has their own patent, it will be difficult to build a competitor. and this is the main control of price. yes, if there is no competitor, the company will feel free to set any price. the different price of Pressy and Mikey is one of the proof. i think better for pressy to patent their functionality, and for the apps.

Pressy are new, they work in the west, they have expances, that are quite higher then a founded company that don't patent her products, that have existing assembly lines.

Say, what's the price for ''piston earphone''?

Where I can get the Mi Key Press apk for my MI3?

(I don't have original xiaomi market installed)