Will Upgrade Remove Root?

Linuxjekul

Members
Apr 22, 2016
Hi everyone,
my son has a Redmi 2 (2G/16G RAM), and uses "MIUI 7 by xiaomi.eu 5.9.24 | Beta" ROM, which came pre-installed from the shop (Gearbest). It seems that the phone allows root access (which prevents him to play Pokemon Go).
The question is, will the phone still have root access if I flash/update a newer xiaomi.eu ROM for this phone. I wish it would, since root access is not important to him, and he wishes to play that game.

Flash one of the latest versions of this (weekly) ROM, or some of the so-called stable versions. Since 5 months, when MIUI 8 entered the scene, these roms don't have 'native' root. As soon as you install one of their latest versions, your son will be able to play Pokemon Go at his wish.
Read carefully the initial first post of the last weekly rom! This phone doesn't have locked bootloader. So install only a new version of TWRP and you can choose between roms on KitKat or Lollypop. I prefer the KitKat one (XTD one, without Pro). Lollypop roms are too complicated for installing properly, so if you're not skilled at rom installing, don't mess with it! Additional information you can acquire at en.miui.com - there are tutorials how to flash TWRP and how to install roms.
Read carefully the table with rom versions, too. And check which version is your phone 2014813, 2014817, 2014811 or another. Mine is 2014813 - that's why I use XTD rom and if I want to go to Lollipop, I'll have to choose an XTDpro rom.
I wish you success!

Thanks for your fast reply Vass66.
I've read the instructions on how to flash the weekly-stable ROM, starting with TWRP.
Since stable xiaomi-eu v7 ROM is already installed, would it also be possible to install stable v7.3 via phone updater app?
(latest stable I could find for this device is xiaomi-eu_multi_HM2014813_V7.3.2.0.KHJCNDD_v7-4.4 zip)

I am a bit uncomfortable with this since I'd be doing this on a Linux machine, while majority of how-to posts assume using Windows.

Yes, it would.

1. Download the ROM first.
2. In updater, push on [...] symbol on the left top corner, and push on "Choose update package" then point to the ROM file.
3. Wait n done.

But,
Note that "5.9.24" is beta, means dev. version, not stable (means it was released on 2015-09-24), which is updated weekly. The stable one must be like xiaomi-eu_multi_HM2014813_Vx.y.z.0.KHJCNDD_vN-4.4 zip, then x, y, z means the version. And stable one is updated month(s)ly.

And, sometime your phone would get error(s) if you up from beta ROM to stable one or vice versa. If you got the case, you'd better backup all data and update within TWRP.

Pl look carefully the last screen, it prompts "Swipe to root your device". If ignore, your phone will not allows root access.

Good luck.

Hi, Linuxjekul!
I don't have experience with Linux. And I hope you won't need Windows at all.
Try to make an update with TWRP only. First, install the last TWRP! I don't know how to install on Linux though.
After a succesful installing of TWRP, do all the wipes (data, cache, dalvik cache and even internal storage if you want it), but first make backups of all information you'll need - passwords for Google and MIUI accounts included. If you have an SD card, it will be fine. All your media and info you can store on it. And never wipe SD card through TWRP!
TWRP can make a backup on the SD card, too... But if you feel unsure, store the backups on your PC first!
Then you can install the new rom. And then wipe cache and dalvik cache again! By the way, updating from MIUI 7 to MIUI 8 needs full wipe, they say.. Just to be sure the new rom will work as expected. And my advice is to install a weekly rom, not a stable one. They're all the same, but since you're on a weekly version...then install a weekly version!
Good luck!

Ah, not need PC.
- U can download proper TWRP 3.0.0.2 @ en dot miui dot com slash thread-249552-1-1 dot html (for phone, not PC),
- do it as: rootmygalaxy dot net slash install-twrp-recovery-in-xiaomi-mi-3-mi-4
-------
I am sorry, my account cannot put URL. I have put "dot" and "slash".

BIG THANKS to everyone participating in this thread!
Updated kids phone to stable 7.3 without any problem.
The biggest hassle was waiting for the backup to finish; that is because he had plenty of games and other apps installed; actually had to ask him to delete quite a few to speed things up :)

Just for the reference, and for people reading this topic at a later date.
1) Installed adb & fastboot via in Debian, from official repositories:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
2) Enabled USB debugging, and OEM unlock in Settings/Advanced settings/Developer options/
3) Made a backup using built-in backup app.
4) Downloaded TWRP from the "ROMs download" page, connected phone to PC, and issued the following commands:
# to see if the phone can be seen from PC
adb devices
# to spare fiddling with vol dwn + pwr buttons
adb reboot bootloader
# made oem unloch, cleared cache
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot boot twrp.img
# Selected options to wipe data in TWRP
5) Rebooted the phone
fastboot reboot
6) Loaded v7.3 ROM to phone, and selected the file within the updater app.
7) After the new ROM has been installed I restored from the backup.

Thats it. Worked like a charm.
THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2016-09-15-about-phone.png
    2016-09-15-about-phone.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 347